Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

newzooreview

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #280 on: 10 Oct 2022, 03:59 pm »
…folks sell what they had and buy the newest one and find it is good but not much better than the one they owned,…

I don't think anyone here has done that.

One of the good things about the GaN FET amps under discussion (Orchard or Class D Audio or Peachtree Audio) is that they can be trialed at home alongside the amp already in the system and returned if they are not preferable.

I was skeptical and had a number of reservations about design/build choices but there was no down side to trying the amps (well, maybe $30 shipping). I am glad that I did.

catluck

« Reply #281 on: 11 Oct 2022, 01:35 pm »
I think that the underlying point of this thread is very positive. To me that is that in 2022 we can get great amplification at a very fair price and you do not need to ask your buddy to come get it out of the box because it is surrounded by sharp heat sinks and 140lbs with all of the weight uneven where the transformer is.

5-10yrs ago I think that Class D meh and quickly went back to Class A or A/B. Today 3 rooms and all class D. No regret and put that savings in the bank.

Bingenito, your comment made me laugh.  I'm waiting for a buddy to help me move the 100 lb Psvane 845 monoblocks from their current location. But no worries - I'm still virile, strong, and big enough to handle the 5 lb MiniGans all by myself. 

Daryl Zero

« Reply #282 on: 11 Oct 2022, 04:40 pm »
Question, assuming that I was interested in a limited manufacturer trial, is there an integrated amp with these class D amps? I don't really have a preamp so I can't test out the mono-blocks by themselves. Given my tastes, the preamp section would probably have to have a tube sound.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #283 on: 11 Oct 2022, 04:44 pm »
Question, assuming that I was interested in a limited manufacturer trial, is there an integrated amp with these class D amps? I don't really have a preamp so I can't test out the mono-blocks by themselves. Given my tastes, the preamp section would probably have to have a tube sound.

do you have an integrated amp with preamp outs?

lazbisme

« Reply #284 on: 11 Oct 2022, 04:50 pm »
You could time a trial of the Schitt Freya+/N preamp for tubes before the classD solid state?

Daryl Zero

« Reply #285 on: 11 Oct 2022, 07:58 pm »
do you have an integrated amp with preamp outs?

Not a preamp out. Not sure if a stereo subwoofer (which it has) out acts the same.

genjamon

« Reply #286 on: 11 Oct 2022, 08:04 pm »
The user manual would hopefully tell you if there’s a low pass filter on those outputs or if they’re full range.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #288 on: 12 Oct 2022, 03:23 am »
Forgive me but that amp has hypex NCore class D amps with mosfets. I thought the point of this thread was extolling the GaN Class D amps or am I wrong?

Here is this thread on the differences:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/gan-hypex-icepower

catluck

« Reply #289 on: 12 Oct 2022, 01:03 pm »
Daryl Z - you are exactly correct.  The point of this thread is to argue for the superiority of GanFets over MOSFETS re: music reproduction.  To that end: Title of the thread? check. Numerous references throughout to GanFets as opposed to MOSFETS? check. Technical distinctions (switching frequency, slew rate, replication of square wave) noted detailing the superiority of GanFets over MOSFETS? check. 

oh well...

newzooreview

« Reply #290 on: 12 Oct 2022, 11:03 pm »
Just a brief follow up. The Mini GaN 5 Monoblocks are at 255 hours of break-in, and things seems to have stabilized. Changes since the 200 hour mark have been along the trajectory of opening up slightly, resolving a bit of subtle detail more easily, and slightly relaxing.

If anyone does try the amps, 150-200 hours of break-in should be sufficient to gauge what they can do with the M3 Sapphires. If it isn't clear at that point whether the amps are preferable then the improvements beyond that are not likely to shift the impression.

My next step is rig up a remote on/off for them since the Holo Serene pre-amp does not have a 12v out trigger.

I got two 12v/0.5 amp wall warts with 3.5mm mono connectors and will hook these up to a remote controlled plug (e.g. the kind Amazon sells for people to control outdoor Christmas lights, for example). That should let me conveniently turn the monoblocks off at night.

Early B.

« Reply #291 on: 12 Oct 2022, 11:11 pm »

My next step is rig up a remote on/off for them since the Holo Serene pre-amp does not have a 12v out trigger.

I got two 12v/0.5 amp wall warts with 3.5mm mono connectors and will hook these up to a remote controlled plug (e.g. the kind Amazon sells for people to control outdoor Christmas lights, for example). That should let me conveniently turn the monoblocks off at night.

Can you create a build thread for this? I tried to build a non-remote trigger last year when I owned monos and couldn't get it to work. Thanks.

newzooreview

« Reply #292 on: 13 Oct 2022, 12:28 am »
Can you create a build thread for this?

Sure, once I test it out and see that it's working I will post the details. I'm waiting for some things in the mail at the moment.

lazbisme

« Reply #293 on: 13 Oct 2022, 12:48 am »
so, I suppose that means you are keeping them? The more I thought about the miniGAN5 after returning it the more things I recalled liking but could not get away from the SET amp I been loving for a while now. Still, thoughts lingered and........Have FreyaN arriving tomorrow to see how much more "tube sound" it lends in place of my SERENE pre and, if it does anywhere near what I am hoping for and doesn't make me miss the SERENE too much, I plan to order up a pair of monoblocks and give that a go. I chose the N over the + because the tube rolling possibilities with it are HUGE! We will see how it works with my X3s!?!?!?!?

newzooreview

« Reply #294 on: 13 Oct 2022, 01:53 am »
Yes, I am definitely keeping the Mini GaN 5 monoblocks.

I also have the Serene KTE.

catluck

« Reply #295 on: 13 Oct 2022, 03:55 am »
Lazbisme - I've been using the Freya+ for about a month with the MiniGan 5's.  It's the most musical combination I've heard, and by far, on the M3's.  So good in fact that my audio neurosis has quieted almost completely. I might fidget with speaker placement, footers, or... (you know how that goes...)  But my equipment search is over.  My only suggestion with the Freya N, and I suspect you're well aware of this (but I'll note it anyway), is that the tube output is very sensitive to tube quality.  I demonstrated this when originally installing cheap Chinese tubes that came with Cary amps I owned some years ago. The Freya sounded thin, bleached, and strident particularly on loud upper frequencies. Replacing the Chinese tubes with uber-quality NOS n7's magically transformed the Freya into all I could ask for musically.  Use the best tubes you can. I think you'll find you've got a winning combination.  But let us know.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #296 on: 13 Oct 2022, 12:32 pm »
Not a Spatial owner but ordered the amp this morning. How long was shipping times for those who received them?

newzooreview

« Reply #297 on: 13 Oct 2022, 04:20 pm »
Not a Spatial owner but ordered the amp this morning. How long was shipping times for those who received them?

They used USPS Priority Mail, so whatever you might expect from southern California to your location should be a good estimate.

They were responsive to e-mail when I was ordering: sales@classdaudio.com

catluck

« Reply #298 on: 13 Oct 2022, 04:32 pm »
Charles Xavier - in addition to NewZoo's info, Tom Rost @ Class D Audio, asked if would post the following:

" We also have had several questions from those I think are from the forum. You might want to mention on the forum that a few people that contacted us, their emails bounced back to me so you might want to mention for them to make sure they type their email address correctly and also provide a phone number. Yes, we're kind of busy now, but doing our best to keep up. For our 2 channel amps it's taking 2 to 3 days to ship and monoblocks a few extra days."

FYI.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #299 on: 13 Oct 2022, 04:50 pm »
They used USPS Priority Mail, so whatever you might expect from southern California to your location should be a good estimate.

They were responsive to e-mail when I was ordering: sales@classdaudio.com

I chose UPS shipping which should be 5 days from Cali.to NY. Im hoping to have it by the 22nd because I hava a small gatheringg happening.