I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Danny Richie

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #380 on: 6 Oct 2022, 09:19 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on Danny’s RF7 ii upgrade. Hopefully it will tame the harshness but I do admit I am worried that I will lose some of the clarity I love so much. But that are fatiguing when listening to music, but oh so detailed ! I also use them for movies, if they were just for movies I’d leave them as they are.
Do such extensive crossovers like Danny shows on his video have any negative effects on the forensic detail?
Cheers
Steve

You'll gain a lot of clarity and detail with the upgrade. The stock parts suck the wind out of them in that regard. You are not really hearing good detail with the stock crossover. It is just louder in the top end.

Optimizer

« Reply #381 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:20 pm »
Hello Danny,
I have bought Monitor Audio Bronze 2 two years back. These speakers were well rated in What Hi-Fi magazine. I cant send you these speakers but I hope that someone will do. I think that they need treatment. :) Kind regards, Adam

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #382 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:42 pm »
Hello Danny,
I have bought Monitor Audio Bronze 2 two years back. These speakers were well rated in What Hi-Fi magazine. I cant send you these speakers but I hope that someone will do. I think that they need treatment. :) Kind regards, Adam

You don't have to send both, you can just send 1.

Blade 2

« Reply #383 on: 31 Oct 2022, 04:47 pm »
I seem to remember Amar Bose stating the perfect speaker would be a floating sphere that produces sound in all directions.
Perhaps those Blue Speakers of yours are based on that concept (?)

PS- How do they sound??

Patinated Brass Ears

« Reply #384 on: 27 Nov 2022, 03:57 pm »
Hi new guy here. I posted a "hello world" post in the Starting Block a couple of weeks ago but haven't seen it approved and published yet, so hoping this works.

I just received the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand upgrade from GR Research. I ordered the upgraded tweeter capacitors (Sonicaps) because as my wife always says, life is too short for sub-par capacitors.

Can't wait to do the network layout, install, etc. over the holidays. I'm toying around with ordering some No Rez but will determine that once I tear into the cabinets and see what's there. I'll post some build pics and impressions when I reach that stage.

Thanks for saving these speakers, Danny. They have sentimental value to me so was super stoked when I saw your 2nd vid on the Tube and ordered the upgrades almost immediately.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #385 on: 27 Nov 2022, 06:40 pm »
Hi new guy here. I posted a "hello world" post in the Starting Block a couple of weeks ago but haven't seen it approved and published yet, so hoping this works.

It may have been rejected if it didn't meet the posting guidelines. We are very strict with new members' first 3 moderated posts. New members don't have private messaging enabled until they have 3 moderated posts, so there's no way to notify a post was rejected. I'm glad you tried again!

Please repost your intro in The Starting Block again, if you wish (not required)

Welcome to AudioCircle!
Rich

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #386 on: 27 Nov 2022, 09:13 pm »
I ordered the upgraded tweeter capacitors (Sonicaps) because as my wife always says, life is too short for sub-par capacitors.

:lol: Sounds like you found a keeper wife and set of speakers. Too funny. Keep everyone posted on your results, and welcome to the club.

-Lloyd

Patinated Brass Ears

« Reply #387 on: 3 Dec 2022, 12:25 pm »
:lol: Sounds like you found a keeper wife and set of speakers. Too funny. Keep everyone posted on your results, and welcome to the club.

-Lloyd

Thank you and will do! I spent all of last weekend watching online videos of how to orient inductors, how to solder caps and wiring and inductors, how to layout a networks, etc. I've had these speakers since 2012 and while I think they sound pretty good, have always wondered why they are so finicky on placement (both in the vertical and horizontal planes) and haven't revealed what I've heard in other speakers. That is, playing the same track, some frequencies seemed muffled compared to other "high end" speakers.

GR Research did their review of the speakers (again, Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands) about a year ago and some stuff clicked. What I *thought* I was hearing turned out to be true. I was getting ready to unload over the coming holidays when Danny posted his 2nd video with the fix.  BOOM, headed over the GR Research website and hit "buy now" instantly.

I'll post up pics of what I find when I open up the speakers and how I proposed to layout the network. I'm pretty handy in the automotive realm (have wired racecars, for example) but audio DIY is brandy new to me. My hope is that whatever I learn can be shared and benefit others who might be going down the same path.

All the best,
-PBE

Patinated Brass Ears

« Reply #388 on: 3 Dec 2022, 12:30 pm »
It may have been rejected if it didn't meet the posting guidelines. We are very strict with new members' first 3 moderated posts. New members don't have private messaging enabled until they have 3 moderated posts, so there's no way to notify a post was rejected. I'm glad you tried again!

Please repost your intro in The Starting Block again, if you wish (not required)

Welcome to AudioCircle!
Rich

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Interesting, I just read the guidelines again and don't *think* I broke any rules, other than what was probably bad humor. But I can't remember what I wrote at this point so... water under the bridge.

I do really like forum policy on having everyone's 3 first posts moderated. Should weed out SPAM and keeps the community clean without the noise. Great idea. I've been a mod on other forums in the automotive world and wish those forums would adopt the same.

-PBE

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #389 on: 4 Dec 2022, 04:42 am »
Thanks PBE!

cshinn

« Reply #390 on: 27 Dec 2022, 12:58 am »
Hello,

I’m Conan. I started getting into hifi a couple of years ago. I’ve been pretty happy with my Revel Performa3 106s and honestly avoided watching Danny’s video about them. I did watch it tonight, and I really like the concept of being able to send of for a kit to upgrade my particular model of Revel speaker. My fear is that I’ll spend $500 and render them inoperable due to my own incompetence.

x5472

« Reply #391 on: 28 Dec 2022, 12:13 am »
Hello,

I’m Conan. I started getting into hifi a couple of years ago. I’ve been pretty happy with my Revel Performa3 106s and honestly avoided watching Danny’s video about them. I did watch it tonight, and I really like the concept of being able to send of for a kit to upgrade my particular model of Revel speaker. My fear is that I’ll spend $500 and render them inoperable due to my own incompetence.
Hey Conan, give the upgrade a try! It's not that hard If you have not done any soldering already it just takes a little practice.
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to help!
I think you would find Danny's upgrades to be well worth the effort!

Paul

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #392 on: 28 Dec 2022, 01:16 am »
Hello,

I would also reach out to Elon or Frederick as they offer to do assembly for customers.
Both of their services are offered in the sticky threads.

Mindless Drone

« Reply #393 on: 9 Feb 2023, 09:58 pm »
Is there a list of speakers that Danny has said he cant fix or too hard to?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #394 on: 9 Feb 2023, 11:49 pm »
Not particularly?

A lot of the issues where Danny "cant" fix a speaker is where a tweeter can only play down to say 2000-3000hz and a woofer has severe breakup at or before it can meet the tweeter. It's a flaw with the drivers rather than his ability. The two Martin Logan AMT bookshelf speakers he looked at had this issue.

Sometimes he can make it "work" but it's less than an ideal or requires a ton of parts.

Other times the speaker is too small/tight to fit an upgraded crossover into them. The Harbeth P3ESR and Kef LS50(Meta) and a few others he's looked at had this issue.

We've also looked at the Kef R11 towers and there's too much bracing to fit a new crossover into it. If we designed a new network for it, it would be tough to install it internally. Stock crossovers are also glued to pegs on the side walls, so removing them is a destructive process.
External crossovers would be the only "real" option.

The last issue will have to do with driver spacing, impedance, or cabinet design issues
There are some speakers where the tweeter is crossed over at 2-3KHz but the mid/woofer its crossed to is several inches away from the tweeter, so any movement vertically, shifts the phase rather dramatically.

Edge diffraction is also a major issue on some models that is difficult to deal with without adding layers of felt around the drivers, and even then it's still not an ideal solution.
Other times, we cant get the drivers out without risking damage to the speaker or drivers.

In most cases it's just not worth the cost trying to fix the issues a speaker has, especially when it has issues with the drivers themselves, and will require a ton of parts to fix, which may not easily fit into a cheap speaker.

It really just depends on how well a speaker was designed and how well behaved the drivers are.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2023, 04:30 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

Silver5D

• Noob
« Reply #395 on: 8 Aug 2023, 05:12 pm »
Hello. Introducing myself as a newbie here. Just ordered the Speaker Rewiring Kit for my Usher V-601s. Really looking forward to the project. Have been very happy with these since I found the pair used about 6 years ago. Can't wait to make them even better. Cleaning up the signal path makes complete sense to me. I was quite skeptical about wires & cables until a friend of mine gave me some Kirmuss 10awg speaker wire. Suffice to say, I've had the bug since then. I'm extremely low-budget, but that is why I get such a kick with these types of tweaks. So much bang for the buck. Anyone else have experience with Ushers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #396 on: 8 Aug 2023, 10:34 pm »
Danny designed the crossovers for the Usher BE718 "Tiny Dancer" used in the US, but we've not yet worked on that model.

Squirrel!

« Reply #397 on: 20 Aug 2023, 04:28 pm »
OK...my curiosity has peeked and joined the forum. I have a pair of Heco Aurora 700 towers. They sound incredible. But I think they are capable of better by means of a crossover component upgrade. Audioholics has tested the speaker's big brother, the Aurora 1000, same thing, but 8" woofers instead of 6.5" woofers. Here is the link:
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/heco-aurora-1000
Armed with this info, would I still need to send one of the 700 in to you guys? Basically asking how this all works. Thanks for the time. Great videos! 8)

Danny Richie

« Reply #398 on: 21 Aug 2023, 02:03 pm »
OK...my curiosity has peeked and joined the forum. I have a pair of Heco Aurora 700 towers. They sound incredible. But I think they are capable of better by means of a crossover component upgrade. Audioholics has tested the speaker's big brother, the Aurora 1000, same thing, but 8" woofers instead of 6.5" woofers. Here is the link:
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/heco-aurora-1000
Armed with this info, would I still need to send one of the 700 in to you guys? Basically asking how this all works. Thanks for the time. Great videos! 8)

We will measure and test it, then give you an evaluation and some recommendations. What happens after that is up to you.

tnweaver

« Reply #399 on: 22 Aug 2023, 01:43 am »
No project too big...

Wish I was in your neck of the woods to drop off my Spatial X5s with now external cross-overs. Be interesting to see you work your magic on the frequency response graphs with an integrated plate amp in the mix. Or not in the end :)