Super Alnico Monitor - Real Walnut

kmcelyea

Super Alnico Monitor - Real Walnut
« on: 19 Apr 2015, 03:24 am »
I joined the Omega ranks tonight. Just ordered the Super Alnico Monitors in Real Walnut. These will be replacing the Madisound Fostex BK-12 (drivers from Planet 10 Hi-Fi added $250.00). While they sound very good I think they are the obstacle in my path and is holding back my Decware Rachel amp. I believe that the Omega's will really let my amp shine. One other note if anyone is thinking about building the BK-12 it took 500 hours before they sounded there best and must have a sub IMO.

Hdrider along with DBC pushed me through my reluctance at buying these speakers having never heard them. I'm looking forward to getting my pair and getting them burned in!

Kevin in OKC  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Super Alnico Monitor - Real Walnut
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2015, 03:44 am »
Congratulations Kevin, you're in for a treat.  I run mine with a Super Zen Select and just love what I'm hearing.  I strongly recommend Skylan 4 post stands for them.  Noel makes them to fit.   :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2015, 04:31 am »
Please post pics when you get them. I'm interested in the Alnico Monitors and like walnut quite a bit.

celebrat

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:11 am »
Lewis must have been pretty busy. I ordered a Super Alnico monitor in Bird's Eye Maple just yesterday. :thumb:

I have been lurking on the Omega threads for some time. Time to stop reading and start listening :D

hdrider

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2015, 04:29 pm »
Glad to hear you getting your orders in to Louis. We have over 100 hours on the 7XRS's now and last night we had our next door neighbors over for BBQ and we spent hours listening to music. My neighbor Carl was totally blown away listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here on vinyl and the records just kept coming and coming. We finally stopped at midnight. Omega speakers and Decware electronics are a match made in heaven. Having a lot of fun with this gear. Happy listening,  Chris.

kmcelyea

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:03 pm »
Thanks ALL! CR I also have a second system in the computer room with a near field system. The amp is the very first Decware amp I bought ( A Super Zen Select). This system contains Blumenstein Orca's with sub and is only digital. I'm looking into replacing the current speakers with the Omega 3 desktop or 3i monitor. My computer desk is glass so I think it will be the 3i monitor.

Thanks,
Kevin  :green:

Audiophile58

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:52 am »
Congratulations  to you guys . I  have owned  the Alnico 8s and recently Out outlaw 1.5 open baffle.also excellent .
After finding out Louis has not been sitting idle the AlnicoXRS 6 has been upgraded  a couple of twists since the Alnico 8 .I had to order a pair mine in Teak. It has been two weeks and like a expected father
The box  speaker  I have been listening to doesn't cut it and just sold my 1.5 .I have the Excellent Redwine Sig 15 Signature  amp.I wanted to really test the water the New Jas 2.3 Bravo 18 wpc SET integrated amp with those     Big - Mig -6C33C tubes
Brings that exceptional SET realism to the mix . Anxiety is setting in now .My wife wants to plan on moving into our new house, at the moment  my Speakers are priority.People that are not Audiophiles will never understand  our mindset !!

kmcelyea

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2015, 12:46 am »
Well my Skylan 4 post stands shipped today, says they will arrive the 12 of this month! Yeah! Now I wait in patience for my Super Alnico Monitors to arrive. I'm hoping it will be only 2 more weeks! One can dream.

:)
 :icon_lol:

Audiophile58

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2015, 08:53 am »
I joined the ranks in 2007 and Today after almost a month of waiting my Alnico-6 in Teak I have to snap
A few pics they look Great. Breakin is a Big Pain in the Ass ,but the more you play the quicker the Breakin.
I have maybe 12 hours  since yesterday afternoon.
Will play them steady between my SET amp ,and Red Wine when out on the road. I had the Alnico -8
I was  told the Alnico -6 is faster and more tuneful . Besides a bit of bite on top instrumental textures are spot on ,and midrange very natural.a few more days and  I will be rewarded for my dedication  with Break-in    :D :lol:

beowulf

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2015, 03:10 pm »
I joined the ranks in 2007 and Today after almost a month of waiting my Alnico-6 in Teak I have to snap
A few pics they look Great. Breakin is a Big Pain in the Ass ,but the more you play the quicker the Breakin.
Will play them steady between my SET amp ,and Red Wine when out on the road. I had the Alnico -8
I was  told the Alnico -6 is faster and more tuneful . Besides a bit of bite on top instrumental textures are spot on ,and midrange very natural.a few more days and  I will be rewarded for my dedication  with Break-in    :D :lol:

I would love to see the teak veneer!  Please post some pictures when you can. :thumb:

jorgen

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2015, 10:44 am »

Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy. Personally I didn't find burn-in to be so bad. But didn't have any experience with burnin, or with full range drivers, or true tube amps. So was more of an learning period I guess. Some records sounded really bad, like Kyuss ..the circus leaves town, actually I didn't play that record for half a year, by then it was very very nice to notice such differences. But mostly sound was much better from day two and forward than what feared from forum reading
« Last Edit: 8 May 2015, 10:55 pm by jorgen »

guillaume bougard

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2015, 08:51 pm »
Thanks ALL! CR I also have a second system in the computer room with a near field system. The amp is the very first Decware amp I bought ( A Super Zen Select). This system contains Blumenstein Orca's with sub and is only digital. I'm looking into replacing the current speakers with the Omega 3 desktop or 3i monitor. My computer desk is glass so I think it will be the 3i monitor.

Thanks,
Kevin  :green:

I've done just that in my office: the 2wpc Decware and a pair of 3i's. I remember posting a near psychedelic comment after hearing what those babies could do, even before being broken in. It is super. So you will enjoy and will sometimes forget why you're in the office in the first place!!!

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2015, 01:23 am »
Lewis must have been pretty busy. I ordered a Super Alnico monitor in Bird's Eye Maple just yesterday. :thumb:

I have been lurking on the Omega threads for some time. Time to stop reading and start listening :D

Are you the same celebrat from audiogon that had that avantgarde and massive first sound preamp that I so used to admire?  If yes, how come you have turned the corner for something as simple as a pair of omegas?

celebrat

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2015, 10:25 am »
I must confess that yes it is one and the same. All I can say is as I get older. I seem to long for simplicity. I don't use a preamp at all anymore and while there were aspects of the Avantgardes I love, The clarity that comes with no crossover beckons to me.

sruffle

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2015, 01:26 am »
I am looking forward to hearing your impressions.  The Super Alnico and the Decware Rachel are the exact combo I have decided on.  I hope to get both the amp and speakers this Summer.

kmcelyea

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2015, 12:06 am »
Way cool. Just received an e-mail from Louis and my monitors are shipping this week!

:D :icon_lol:

kmcelyea

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2015, 10:17 pm »
Well I'm half way to getting my Super Alnico Monitors. FedEx delivered one today and suppose to deliver the other one tomorrow.

:scratch:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2015, 03:11 am »
Well I'm half way to getting my Super Alnico Monitors. FedEx delivered one today and suppose to deliver the other one tomorrow.

:scratch:

Do you have any of the Beatles albums in the mono edition!   :lol:

celebrat

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2015, 10:21 am »
My Bird's Eye maple Alnico monitors arrived yesterday.  :D They are beautiful looking.

Sound right now is quite thin but very clear. Highs seem reticent. Soundstage is lower in the room than I have experienced with other speakers. I do not have stands yet and they are breaking in on the boxes (set up at 20"ht) they were shipped on. I should have the stands today. Currently I have a GR research 12'sealed sub in the middle. Soon I will have 2 of his fantastic OB subwoofers... one for each channel. How long and painful is the break in process?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2015, 03:24 pm »
My Bird's Eye maple Alnico monitors arrived yesterday.  :D They are beautiful looking.

Sound right now is quite thin but very clear. Highs seem reticent. Soundstage is lower in the room than I have experienced with other speakers. I do not have stands yet and they are breaking in on the boxes (set up at 20"ht) they were shipped on. I should have the stands today. Currently I have a GR research 12'sealed sub in the middle. Soon I will have 2 of his fantastic OB subwoofers... one for each channel. How long and painful is the break in process?
If your speakers still sound thin after putting them on good stands, look at anything but the speaker.  Amp, source, cabling, room, etc.  Mine were sublime out of the box. 

They want a high quality front end.  Think flea powered SET, and source with at least 2VRMS output.  The Decware Zen or Rachel will be a great match.  Their new UFO OPT (which I've yet to hear) will go to 80,000Hz, and can be switched between 4 and 8 ohms.  If you don't want to spend the extra $$ for the UFO, go with the 4ohm OPT option.

After listening to the RS5 for years, the top end on the Alnico seems more laid back, yet it extracts more information off a recording.  In fact, I would call it smooth rather than laid back.

I hope it all works out.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2015, 09:18 pm by Canada Rob »