Best speaker cable for MaxHemp and 2A3 Tube AMP

KnyazHM

Best speaker cable for MaxHemp and 2A3 Tube AMP
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:37 am »
Hi All,
Recommend Best speaker cable for Omega MaxHemp + 2A3 Tube Amp? What use? I use Amplifier Antique Sound Labs Orchid 2A3

Thanks
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013, 06:11 am by KnyazHM »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Best speaker cable for MaxHemp and 2A3 Tube AMP
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:41 pm »
Hello KnyazHM,

DNM is an excellent wire for low/flea powered SETs and Omega/Hoyt-Bedford speakers.  I use it myself and it is one of Louis' favourite speaker wires too.

CR

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2013, 06:33 pm »
Neotech EC-UPOCC cotton covered wire in 20 gauge, available for about $2.50/ft from partsconnexion. It also has enamel insulation which needs to be burned off, don't try to use it w/o removing the enamel! I just tape it together every 6" with a small piece of scotch tape.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_copper_cot.html

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2013, 06:47 pm »
Here's another option.  I use Gregg Straley's Reality speaker cables (tube amp version) between my Decware amp and Omega speakers.  I think they sound great.

NB

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm »
Great posts and I may be working with a company to produce some cables I have a picture of the interconnect and there is also a speaker cable.

It's braided litz solid conductor with cotton and silk jackets. These cables are really good and not too expensive either.

Thanks,
Louis

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 08:34 pm by Louis O »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:26 am »
The Neotech cotton insulated wire is a litz-type design.  :thumb:

I made some prototype ICs I plan on marketing and I'd love to send you a pair or two to evaluate. They are the best ICs I've ever made or heard... the ground wires are teflon mil-spec in a litz braid with the Neotech signal wire. The male RCA connectors are Furutech with an OCC copper center pin, so the IC has OCC copper signal conductors from tip-to-tip. The price is very reasonable for what they are.

I could also make up speaker cables using the 20g Neotech wire in a techflex jacket, I haven't done it yet (except for my own system) because 20g conductors would only be suitable for a lower powered amplifier so the potential market for this kind of speaker cable would be very limited compared to the ICs... but it would be perfect for most systems using Omega speakers.

KnyazHM

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2013, 08:22 am »
Thanks to all! of Omega 8-inch ALN8omega drivers.

KnyazHM

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm »
Has anyone used Kimber Kable 8TC?

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Got the cables in and they look and sound amazing. Replaced my Crimson cables with them and really like the sound with both tube and SS amps.

The cables are fast and very well balanced. I'm getting a clarity that I haven't heard with the other cables. Still breaking them in, but they are a winner. I even tried them with my Model 7F full rangers that will be in the DIY line. Really smooth in the mids.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm »

Hi KnyazHM,

Look into Dave's cable they are really good and a great match with Omega.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:51 am »
Hi DaveC113,

Got the cables in and they look and sound amazing. Replaced my Crimson cables with them and really like the sound with both tube and SS amps.

The cables are fast and very well balanced. I'm getting a clarity that I haven't heard with the other cables. Still breaking them in, but they are a winner. I even tried them with my Model 7F full rangers that will be in the DIY line. Really smooth in the mids.

Thanks,
Louis

I'm happy to hear it, the clarity of the mid to high frequencies is unmatched by anything else I've tried and what really stood out to me after I built the first pair. There's a lot of stuff (bad stuff) you're NOT hearing with these cables...  :green: I haven't been able to test the ICs vs. some higher priced ones, but I'm planning on seeing if some of the high end audio shops in the area wouldn't mind trying them out. I was never planning on marketing the ICs, I've build dozens and never considered it, but after building these I knew I had something special. I may try some higher end RCA plugs at some point too, I feel like the Furutech plugs with occ copper center pins are a great value for the money, but it is possible to spend a lot more money on connectors.

The speaker cables are only 20g so maybe not suitable for high powered systems but they work great with my 5 wpc EL34 SET amp and Super 3s. Not sure about marketing the speaker cables given the fact they are only 20g, but I probably will because they are so good in the right application. I think that 20g wire would be great as internal hookup wire in your speakers too, I noticed a big difference using it with the Pomona binding posts I showed in the RS5 driver thread.

I put the ICs up for sale on ebay and amazon under "Dave's Cables" with a really low introductory price of $115/1 meter, $99/ .5 meter... I can't keep the prices that low for long, there's little to no profit involved, I just want people to try them... Next I need to get a website set up, then probably need to pay for an industry membership here.  :o

Thanks for auditioning the cables Louis, I appreciate it.  :thumb:
-Dave

KnyazHM

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2013, 03:00 am »
I want to try Dave's Cables

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm »
Hi Dave,

My pleasure and it was fun to compare. It's easy to hear the difference right away.

No worry about the IC as they bettered some expensive IC's I have here. Definitely compare out there at the shops.

The 20AWG is perfectly fine for low power amp/single driver systems. As a matter of fact I have been installing 20 AWG solid core cotton jacket cable in the speakers now. I tried some Audio consulting cable from Switzerland and they were great upgrade so I sourced some cable here in USA.

You got a winner.

Hi KnyazHM,

Great to hear and you will really like them.

Thanks,
Louis

sugbob21

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:06 pm »
Just received a pair of ICs from Dave and have to say right out of the box they are the best sounding
ICs i've tried. I agree with Louis about the clarity and detail. It wasn't subtle ,but very obvious improvement.
Highly recommended. Thanks again to Dave and Louis.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:08 pm »
sugbob, I'm very happy to hear your impression. I have just started selling them so it's nice to know other people hear the same things I do when using the cables.

Here's a link to the ebay sales for the cables (I asked Louis if it was ok to post them, thanks for allowing me to Louis!). If you are interested feel free to contact me by pm here too. I will add speaker cables to the lineup soon.

1 meter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330892224498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

.5 meter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330892224014?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:55 pm »
Well, I just hooked up my 1 M IC's from Dave so it's too early to say anything intelligent about them.  :scratch:

But they sure are purty to look at!

And Dave obviously has special connections with USPS. From Colorado to Louisiana in 2 days.  :thumb:

Gene

Hank Murrow

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2013, 06:20 pm »
Hey Dave; I would love to see your speaker cables. Send us a pic when you are happy with them. I use both Blumenstein and Omega fullrangers with a Custom Bottlehead 2A3 amp. 3.5 gorgeous watts filling my room!

Cheers, Hank in Eugene, OR

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2013, 05:21 am »
@Goosepond, I hope you like them!

@Hank, I just made some speaker cables and will take some pics tomorrow.

I got a little webpage up, davescables.com with an associated email, dave@davescables.com. It is a work in progress  :D

I am really happy with the feedback I've been getting! When I built the first set of ICs with this design I had no intention of selling cables but I was surprised at how good it turned out, it's great that everyone agrees so far.

"Got to say - I absolutely love this cable - I as I said can't wait to get the others in place. Absolutely fantastic midrange and that is almost always the one area flash cables can never do much with yet its the most important. Crazy - but good for you.

I just compared it to a Nordost Valhalla and I prefer it."

-G.L. from the UK

"Hi Dave,

I received your cables a few days ago and trying them for 5 days.
As you said ,they are soft,clear ,wide ranged and excellent...

Thanks for the excellent cables."

L. from S Korea

And thanks again Louis for allowing me to post some info on your forum!  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2013, 09:19 pm »
Furutech Banana Plug

Furutech Banana Plug (top two) and Pure Copper Spade With Strain Relief. The Furutech connectors aren't cheap (spades are nearly $20/ea), but are the best I've ever used.

20 Gauge Neotech Wire. Cotton blend insulation, braided wire, each strand individually insulated with enamel, flat film core that the wire is braided around (colored red for visibility).

Bananas

Spades on the speaker terminals of my DIY amplifier

Furutech RCA plug with filament center pin for upcoming high-end interconnect.