THE 2500 DOLLAR SPEAKERS that SING

sunnydaze

Re: THE 2500 DOLLAR SPEAKERS that SING
« Reply #40 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:08 pm »
I'd highly recommend Omega, with your budget you could find some Super Alnico Monitors and they'd be perfect for the type of listening you described. It takes a super-premium speaker to come close to the speed, coherency and resolution of the Omegas, and even then the Omegas are better for nearfield listening vs a multi-way speaker. I've hear all the high $ single drivers like Voxativ, AER and Feastrex and Omega is competitive with them for a fraction of the price.

On amps, they work well with tubes and SS. For nearfield and low volumes a SET would probably be ideal but Omega is still the best choice at your price point and with your current amp, imo.

Yep...exactly as I said earlier!     :thumb:

There is a wealth of used Omega models up FS right now: 4 pair on AG,  4 pair on Canuck / USA Audiomart, including 2 pair in Canada.  All priced well below your budget.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649315155-omega-speaker-systems-super-alnico-monitor/

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649311342-omega-super-3i-monitor-in-real-zebrawood/

rotarius

« Reply #41 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:17 pm »
Sweet mids and high you say?  Try Sonus Faber, any model within your budget.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #42 on: 30 Nov 2016, 04:33 pm »
Considering the speakers the OP had, and the price he sold them for, I can't help but think how disappointed he will be with any of the suggestions in this thread.  :|

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #43 on: 30 Nov 2016, 04:37 pm »
I dont think the K & H would dissapoint. Having heard his speakers he will have quite an adjustment.

Maybe better to completely walk away from a system for a while and just get some killer headphones. Aka. The new Focal Elear or Utopia.

Or get a killer audio system like I have in my Tundra. I listen to it every day with a big smile. Turn it up as loud as i want and no neighbors to complain.

Anyway, did you get enough suggestions to confuse the issue.

Rocket Ronny

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:07 pm »
DaveC113 makes good points but he's an Omega fanboy and your Anthem is not the right amp for high efficiency speakers.

Fanboy is a derogatory term for people who promote what they like in an exaggerated, overly enthusiastic manner with quite a bit of bias. People use the term fanboy to dismiss others' opinions as being unworthy, insignificant and biased. JLM, I don't think that kind of language has any place here and what the term insinuates about me is just nasty. Why don't you think about what you're posting and refrain from the ad-hominems next time, ok?

Also, you post about his Anthem being the wrong amp but the truth is you've never even heard an Omega speaker let alone owned them. So, you have no clue and it seems have made up in your mind what Omegas sound like and what the best amp to power them is based on your imagination. That's fine, but when you assert what goes on in your imagination as fact in public it becomes a problem and you need to be called out for it. The actual truth is Omega speakers sound fine with SS amps. It is true other single driver speakers don't, even the older Omega 4.5" hemp drivers sounded horrible with my ss amp, but the recent drivers are designed significantly differently and don't require a high output impedance amp to sound right.

My opinions are based on hearing a great number of single driver speakers over the years. I've heard almost every major brand and often I have heard many models in a brand's lineup. I've also heard the same drivers in many different cabinets. So, contrary to your assertion that I'm a "fanboy", the actual truth is my opinion is based on quite a bit of experience while your opinion is based on thoughts you've made up in your head, i.e. your imagination. So, to me it seems ironic that someone who is posting without experience is calling someone else who is posting their actual, real-life experiences a fanboy. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #45 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:17 pm »
Considering the speakers the OP had, and the price he sold them for, I can't help but think how disappointed he will be with any of the suggestions in this thread.  :|

Not necessarily true......

My big rig is in a 21 x 14 room.  By necessity of room size, I currently own two pair of large floorstanders, very well built, each pair weighing in at about 150 lbs per side.   They both sold for $10k, one was direct sell, so thru traditional dealer network, would be priced fair bit higher.

In the right room (smallish)..... in the right setup (nearfield)......with a synergistic amp / speaker pairing appropriate for the room, one can achieve a listening experience that is at least as enjoyable as the big stuff, at a lower price point.

I know, I've done it:  small room, nearfield,  Omega + SET amp.  Different for sure, but just as enjoyable...in some ways, moreso.  And at a fraction of the price!

And I personally know two other guys who are very satisified having pursued the same exact path with  Omega + low power.  One has decades of experience with praised and pricey big name gear.  He tells me his downsized Omega setup gives him the most sheer enjoyment he's ever personally experienced.

For reference, I have owned the following speakers, almost all of them medium / large floorstanders:  Coincident, Gallo, Merlin,  Reference 3A, PBN Audio Montana,  Silverline,  Proac, Meadowlark,  DeVore,  JM Reynaud, Vienna Acoustics,  Spendor,  Sunny Speaker Tech,  Vaughn  (and others that escape current memory)

2bigears

« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:24 pm »
 :D.  Holy ,,,, Sunnydaze ,, you have had a lot of speakers.  Wowwwww.  :D
           And i was thinking what your thinking too. Modern gear has made strides ahead ,, i think ??  :D

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:56 pm »
Hi Pat- Please check your messages. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #48 on: 30 Nov 2016, 10:19 pm »

Fanboy is a derogatory term for people who promote what they like in an exaggerated, overly enthusiastic manner with quite a bit of bias. People use the term fanboy to dismiss others' opinions as being unworthy, insignificant and biased. JLM, I don't think that kind of language has any place here and what the term insinuates about me is just nasty. Why don't you think about what you're posting and refrain from the ad-hominems next time, ok?

Also, you post about his Anthem being the wrong amp but the truth is you've never even heard an Omega speaker let alone owned them. So, you have no clue and it seems have made up in your mind what Omegas sound like and what the best amp to power them is based on your imagination. That's fine, but when you assert what goes on in your imagination as fact in public it becomes a problem and you need to be called out for it. The actual truth is Omega speakers sound fine with SS amps. It is true other single driver speakers don't, even the older Omega 4.5" hemp drivers sounded horrible with my ss amp, but the recent drivers are designed significantly differently and don't require a high output impedance amp to sound right.

My opinions are based on hearing a great number of single driver speakers over the years. I've heard almost every major brand and often I have heard many models in a brand's lineup. I've also heard the same drivers in many different cabinets. So, contrary to your assertion that I'm a "fanboy", the actual truth is my opinion is based on quite a bit of experience while your opinion is based on thoughts you've made up in your head, i.e. your imagination. So, to me it seems ironic that someone who is posting without experience is calling someone else who is posting their actual, real-life experiences a fanboy.

Sorry for hurting your feelings, but I have a different definition of "fanboy": an extremely enthusiastic fan (same as Webster).  No degradation was intended, just trying to put your comment into context.  And I have heard Omega speakers (just not the current ones).  But I've also heard many single driver speakers and as you may recall I own single driver speakers (that I commissioned and sound great with solid state). 

I mentioned Anthem being the wrong amp because it's way over powered for high efficiency speakers and it's solid state, so it's sweet spot in it's power curve is probably way beyond what Omega's are capable of handling and where he'd be likely to be listening.  Plus the volume control may not be useable being how overpowered it is for an Omega speaker. 

2bigears

« Reply #49 on: 30 Nov 2016, 10:31 pm »
 :D  thanks everyone for the advice. Going from big-fi to realistic will be a change. But i believe the end of the world is soon. selling all my shit
          and moving in the hippie direction.  Not a dirty hippie. A green as i can be hip and laying down a small footprint. The days of over consuming
             for me ended as soon as i watched too much youtube ,,,, haha .... But i do thank everyone for very good steering and i'm hoping the new                     
               system sounds fine.  I bought the Anthem without looking. They took my old Sonic Frontiers CD1 on trade. Two birds so to speak.  :D
                  Fritz ,, stand by please.   :D     ohhh,  Fritz,, sharpen that pencil please ,,,, haven't worked in two years,,   ha.. (not funny)  :D

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:49 am »
:D  thanks everyone for the advice. Going from big-fi to realistic will be a change. But i believe the end of the world is soon. selling all my shit
          and moving in the hippie direction.  Not a dirty hippie. A green as i can be hip and laying down a small footprint. The days of over consuming
             for me ended as soon as i watched too much youtube ,,,, haha .... But i do thank everyone for very good steering and i'm hoping the new                     
               system sounds fine.  I bought the Anthem without looking. They took my old Sonic Frontiers CD1 on trade. Two birds so to speak.  :D
                  Fritz ,, stand by please.   :D     ohhh,  Fritz,, sharpen that pencil please ,,,, haven't worked in two years,,   ha.. (not funny)  :D

Well, if you're going that way. Just buy a Salk Powerplay and just plug in the source. No fancy electronics needed.

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay%20Monitors

2bigears

« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2016, 02:26 am »
 :D.  Holy shit those are cool.   Home speakers that are active.   Who knew ?  Look dam good.   And a great idea.   I never knew.  Pretty cool product.   :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:26 am »
2bigears, you missed out on a deal of the century. On Canuck Audio about five years ago,  someone in Canada offered a free pair of the Acoustat monitor 3's if you only picked them up. These are big planers but works very well in small rooms, very detailed at very low volume. These include the OTL DD servo amps and you never need speaker wires. No dynamic speakers under 10K will touch them. Another pair might pop up if you keep watch.

If you like Stax headphones, these are even better.

2bigears

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:58 am »
 :D.  Haha ,,,, someone got lucky.  I'm actually all for small.  At my age ,, size don't matter ,,,, ha
            If Fritz can convince me to buy. I'm out. Time is ticking, time is short.  :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #54 on: 1 Dec 2016, 08:23 am »
Just buy a new pair of BMR Philharmonitor speakers and be done with it.
Those look promising—I'd like to hear them.

I'd also like to hear these Buchardt S300 MkIIs from Denmark, apparently designed by an engineer formerly with Dynaudio:
http://www.buchardt-audio.com/products/s300-black
reviewed by 6moons here:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/buchardt/1.html

These both have extraordinary bass extension: -2 dB at 30Hz for the BMR Philharmonitors and -3 dB at 33 Hz for the Buchardts.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2016, 05:57 pm by Russell Dawkins »

2bigears

« Reply #55 on: 1 Dec 2016, 11:31 am »
  :D yes ,, those are very good picks ,, both on radar, thank you. How much are those s300's ? Are they in the game ?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #56 on: 1 Dec 2016, 12:21 pm »
:D.  Holy shit those are cool.   Home speakers that are active.   Who knew ?  Look dam good.   And a great idea.   I never knew.  Pretty cool product.   :D

I did and am a big fan too, but you already had the Anthem.  But not a fan of locking into a DAC as fast as that technology keeps improving/changing.  Russell's K&H o300's are active, without the built-in DAC, but probably too big/powerful for your condo.  AVi out of England sells something similar to the Salks, heard them once but wasn't terribly impressed.  If you're interested in going active visit audiostream.com, they focus on desktop systems (DAC/preamp with smaller active speakers that can fill the room). 

As you may recall my entire system is made up of my laptop and DAC/preamp plus active 2-ways monitors.  I see this as the future as everyone has a computer, convenience is the big trend, and we're all going into smaller living quarters - right up your alley. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #57 on: 1 Dec 2016, 12:38 pm »
Trung has a pair of the Audience Clarinet 2+2's for sale at $1900 here on AC, retail is $4K. There are a lot of rave reviews on these small speakers, no crossover.

My buddy Rex owns the 1+1's and says these are better than his Quads were, much better than his KEF LS50's. Read some of the reviews on the 1+1's, these retail for $2200.

2bigears

« Reply #58 on: 1 Dec 2016, 12:44 pm »
 :D the state of audio sure is changing with the times.
         I can't give away my monster KW750. A few reasons
           for that I guess. Small has gotten so much better.
         Pretty cool actually. I'll call a shipyard. See if they want
            to buy a boat anchor.   Ha   Now that's funny but not.  :D

sonicxtc

« Reply #59 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:36 pm »
Some fine suggestions here, and a couple I've never investigated. I like Hawthorne speakers and frankly, you could just get their Sterling Silver SSI 15" (or even the 10") and you have no need for a sub-woofer. I have Hawthorne Trios and they are great; even without the subs (Augies) the bass is satisfyingly deep. So, you can put these "coaxials" in DIY or pre-fab baffle and you're done. All under budget. Darrell is one of the nicest guys I've met in the Audio World, too. Yes, these MIGHT be a bit bigger than you want, but I've learned that without deep non-boomy bass (even at low volumes) you're missing something vital. I speak from my personal evolution, a pair of modded Klipsch taught me some important lessons about dynamics and deep [emphasis: NOT boomy] bass. Truly small speakers rarely produce deep bass (understandably) and WHEN they do so, it often sounds artificial. Also, the Hawthorne SSI sound excellent and full at low volume levels. Yet, when called on to crank, they rock! And, they are about 97 db efficient, IIRC.

Fritz. I've spoken with him and he's another great guy offering serious value in his designs. And, I have Fritz Carbon Towers. BTW, I can drive them to moderately loud but very satisfying levels with a low power Temple Bantam integrated.

I recall reading great things about Philharmonitor speakers.

Lots of good choices. I can't comment on the Omegas, but obviously many who own them love them. Good luck in your quest.

I rarely comment on comments, especially the craftsmanship of such,but that is one well stated piece of prose. We need a thread just for eloquent commentaries.