Modding My DVD player to be Region Free

bob82274

« on: 6 Apr 2003, 08:46 pm »
This question is directed at bubba but anyone else is free to answer.

Is it possible to mod my DVD player so that it can play any region?  The model number is Toshiba SD-3750.  I had found a copy of The Boondock Saints in R2.  I have no fears with a soldering iron.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2003, 09:02 pm »
I'm not terribly familiar with that model Tosh. Problem is that most region modding is done in the UK. And they've frequently got slighty different model numbers over there. I checked 2 places in Europe that are big modders, but saw no mention of you model number. You can try checking if you want as you're familiar with your player and might recognize the European equivalent model.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-000-dvd-summary.html

http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2003, 01:34 pm »
Hi, it is pretty common for some brands and types of DVD players to have a region setting that is:
- changable by remote. That is, you can set the region for each disk you play (to either 1, 2, 4 or something else) Sometimes this is limited to a specific number of changes though.
- changable to R0. That makes the player all-region but does not work with some DVD, especially the ones that are RCE.

Google for <type> + region free or region hack.

Also, if you have to send your player to Europe for modding, it may be cheaper to sell you existing player and get a multi-region, multi standard (PAL/NTSC) and multi-voltage (110-240) unit from the UK.

Good luck!

greve

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2003, 06:16 am »
Quote from: Ferdi
Also, if you have to send your player to Europe for modding, it may be cheaper to sell you existing player and get a multi-region, multi standard (PAL/NTSC) and multi-voltage (110-240) unit from the UK.

I think most hardware mods are also sold as a package to be shipped to yourself for installation, so if you're not afraid of the internals of a DVD-Player, then it's probably cheaper just to buy the mod-kit in Europe and install it yourself.

I have used Techtronics for modding my Sony DVP-CX860 and it's probably worth asking them if they can help you if you don't find the right model number in their lists.

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2003, 03:03 pm »
I think I have found the solution that will work for me as I don't watch many non-R1 movies.

One of my roommates is buying a PS2 and I have found some software that I can buy that turns it into a Region Free player.  I have to use a bootdisk every time but that isn't too much of a problem.  This will only cost me $40 instead of the $100 or more that a mod chip would cost.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2003, 12:01 am »
Bob,

Forgot to ask if your R2 disc is NTSC (Japan R2 disc) or PAL (Europe R2 disc).

If it's PAL you're going to have some problems with playing it on US displays. Unless you're running it on a Plasma, LCD projector, DLP, a Loewe CRT, or something else (usually high-end) that supports the PAL video standard.

If you don't have any PAL video playback capability then you'll need to do something a little different.

Best option would be to get one of the JVC DVDP's that's modded and has onboard PAL-NTSC conversion (and the JVC actually does that right, while most others won't) for about $230.

The more expensive option is to mod your player then buy an outboard video standards transcoder. A standards transcoder will run from $400-$1,600+.

soundguy3

Here is a link I found regarding region free DVD players....
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2003, 06:02 am »
HI,

I am not sure this will help you, but here is a link I found that seems to concentrate on the APEX model players and a some others for region free viewing. I have found some of these models on the web for as low as $70.
like Amazon.com
There is also a link on there where you can send your player in for a mod...it's at the bottom.....DVD Wizards

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/index.htm

Sguy3

bob82274

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2003, 03:47 pm »
Bubba its Japanese so no worries there.