A lifetime of waiting just paid off!

no1maestro

A lifetime of waiting just paid off!
« on: 1 May 2010, 12:07 am »
For most of my life I have been waiting to hear a good, complete recording of Howard Hanson's Merry Mount. It was a "rave" at it's Met debut in 1934 but had all but disappeared in my lifetime save but for parts of poor recordings. Gerard Schwarz/Seattle now has a Naxos 2CD set out for a reasonable price. I finally got to listen to the whole thing today and just loved it.

Many folks are familiar with the suite but not the whole opera. It's not perfect and not for everyone's taste but if you love Hanson as I do you will love it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: A lifetime of waiting just paid off!
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2010, 06:56 am »
Excellent!  Can you give me the SKU#?  I'd love to pick that one up.  Love HH! :thumb:

jzexport

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2010, 12:57 pm »
For most of my life I have been waiting to hear a good, complete recording of Howard Hanson's Merry Mount. It was a "rave" at it's Met debut in 1934 but had all but disappeared in my lifetime save but for parts of poor recordings. Gerard Schwarz/Seattle now has a Naxos 2CD set out for a reasonable price. I finally got to listen to the whole thing today and just loved it.

Many folks are familiar with the suite but not the whole opera. It's not perfect and not for everyone's taste but if you love Hanson as I do you will love it.

Didn't even know he had written an opera. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

no1maestro

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2010, 05:04 pm »
The identification is as folllows:

Naxos 8.669012-13  Hanson Merry Mount   Gerard Schwarz  Seattle Sym.

As I said, if you love Hanson you will find this very interesting!