Opera on DVD, recommendations please

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Opera on DVD, recommendations please
« on: 15 Jun 2007, 06:46 pm »
The other day I bought La Traviata with Anna Netrebko  :drool:

and liked it so much that I now have to explore further. But there is a huge selection of opera on DVD and I'm not sure where to start. I'd like to cover the basics first (i.e. most "popular" operas).

I'm not "mature" enough (young in heart, huh?) to be able to just listen to the opera so please - Can you recommend other great performances on DVD?

And to educate me further - tell me what's so great about it (I guess mostly performers, but it could be a conductor, production, etc.)

THANKS!
Boris

WEEZ

Re: Opera on DVD, recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2007, 07:17 pm »
I'm not too familiar with DVD availability...but try searching @ Amazon. If you click on DVD and type in Opera....you can shop 'till you drop. (or run out of money, or both :))

A 'collector' might want to have maybe multiple performances of a given Opera; just like multiple performances of a symphony: or even different covers of a jazz or pop song......maybe on CD and DVD...

(fwiw, I really like Saint-Saens "Samson and Delilah" (Samson et Dalila) and Bizet "Carmen".

I like instumentals as well as the vocal performances.

Knock yourself out :thumb:

WEEZ

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2007, 07:18 pm »
Boris,

I know you already have a Traviata, but this is the one to have.  http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Traviata-Levine-Stratas-Domingo/dp/0783227477
Lavish Zeffirelli production, Domingo's Alfredo, Strata's almost Garboesque acting (her voice is OK), excellent dancing and good conducting from Levine make this a good one for anyone getting started. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2007, 07:39 pm »
For Carmen, you have 2 choices.  This is the Covent Garden production that features Maria Ewing.  She sings Carmen right but Jose and others are not very strong.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ARXF2S/sr/ref=pd_cp_d_1/002-1169960-4776804?ie=UTF8&qid=1181935381&sr=1-2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0PT5CFERTV9SVS489ZTR&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362301&pf_rd_i=B000022TSV

This one is cinematographically superior and Jose and others are very good but Migenes falls short in her voice although her acting is good. 
http://www.amazon.com/Bizet-Carmen-Maazel-Migenes-Domingo/dp/B000022TSV/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-1169960-4776804?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181935381&sr=1-2

For those who are coming from Broadway, Julia Migenes is acceptable and it's a great production.  If you want real operatic Carmen, Ewing sings better with almost as good acting.  She looks good too -- I saw her take off her veils  aa on Strauss' Salome.

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2007, 08:42 pm »
You can't go wrong with Puccini's La Boheme and the Australian Opera production with Cheryl Barker and David Hobson is truly superb. Not only is the singing and acting first rate but everyone is completely believable in their respective roles. Keep some tissues handy.
http://www.amazon.com/Puccini-Boheme-Luhrmann-Australian-Opera/dp/B00006LPE9

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2007, 01:05 am »
This is great - I'm making a list, keep it comin'  :thumb: :thumb:

How do I sneak this thread to my wife, Father's Day is coming, after all  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2007, 07:57 am »
Might be helpful.....website link..... :thumb:

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2007, 12:38 pm »
When choosing a specific performane of an opera.....does pick-a-big-name-and-you-can't-go-wrong system always work?

Maybe not? I have Mozart's Requiem with Karajan and then Hungarian version with Janos Ferencsik. Hungarians do it so much better it is hard to believe that such a difference is even possible.

I'd like to cover most popular pices with DVDs of great (best?) performances. Then, get a taste of variations.

Tweaker

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2007, 09:44 pm »
What's a recommendation for popular opera without Madame Butterfly? In 1995 Martin Scorsese released a film version directed by Frédéric Mitterrand. It is really extraordinary. Beautifully filmed and, while the part of Butterfly is not sung with the power it should be, (listen to Renata Scotto, Renata Tebaldi, Ava Marton, etc. to hear what a soprano with a powerful voice can bring to the performance), it is nevertheless sung exquisitely. And for once we have a Butterfly who, if not Japanese, is at least Asian (Chinese).