mcgsxr enters the HD world

mcgsxr

Re: mcgsxr enters the HD world
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2010, 11:42 pm »
I assume (oh what fun!) that you are talking about how thin the new LCD's are, and that your concern is that the speaker will be much deeper than the display?

Important to remember that with the tilt of the display bracket, there is likely to be 4-5 inches of depth up there, compared to just the display itself.

eg1

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2010, 06:00 pm »
I assume (oh what fun!) that you are talking about how thin the new LCD's are, and that your concern is that the speaker will be much deeper than the display?

Important to remember that with the tilt of the display bracket, there is likely to be 4-5 inches of depth up there, compared to just the display itself.

Yes, it is the thinness (is that even a word?) -- how shall a speaker be perched atop that tiny ledge? It brings to mind a bit from Holy Grail:

1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

:green:

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2010, 09:17 pm »
RIGHT, off you go!

I have measured just now, and above my unit I have about 9 inches from wall to front of display, and as my plasma is about 4 inches thick, and the thinnest LCD's are still at least 1 inch thick, I would say that gives you roughly 5-6 inches of depth above your display, once it is there.

Although the speaker would be mounted above the display, it is not likely actually touching the display at all... it would normally be mounted to the wall, as with the L and R speakers, should they too be smaller and looking to be kept off the floor.

Brackets can be purchased for smaller speakers, and engineering awaits for larger speaker choices!

You could also consider in-wall for the center.  The area above your gas insert is bound to have a large void that could be leveraged to install a speaker flush with the front wall itself, either above or below the display.

Lots of choices!
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2010, 10:24 pm by mcgsxr »

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm »
We found a nice small end table style "container" for the receiver, dvd player, and satellite receiver.  I installed it this evening.

My wife intends to put a plant between the unit and the window, so that will cover the wires that come out of the wall in the pic below - we could move the unit closer to the window, but that compromises one of the seats on the loveseat for TV viewing - it gets further off angle.

Now onto the planning and construction of the speakers.

eg1

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2010, 11:44 pm »
RIGHT, off you go!

I have measured just now, and above my unit I have about 9 inches from wall to front of display, and as my plasma is about 4 inches thick, and the thinnest LCD's are still at least 1 inch thick, I would say that gives you roughly 5-6 inches of depth above your display, once it is there.

Although the speaker would be mounted above the display, it is not likely actually touching the display at all... it would normally be mounted to the wall, as with the L and R speakers, should they too be smaller and looking to be kept off the floor.

Brackets can be purchased for smaller speakers, and engineering awaits for larger speaker choices!

You could also consider in-wall for the center.  The area above your gas insert is bound to have a large void that could be leveraged to install a speaker flush with the front wall itself, either above or below the display.

Lots of choices!

I see -- but as I am mounting the tv on a fully articulated mount, might I not get funny sound "location" from a center channel sticking straight out from the wall when the tv might be angled another way?

end table as avr disguiser looks good, btw

srb

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:09 am »
I see -- but as I am mounting the tv on a fully articulated mount, might I not get funny sound "location" from a center channel sticking straight out from the wall when the tv might be angled another way?

Whether the speaker goes on the bottom or the top of the TV (I think you said you preferred on the top) you will want to angle it down so that it is pointing at ear level, and sounds like it is coming from the center of the screen.

You may want to see if you can find an adjustable angle wall mount for the speaker.  To be in line with your ears at sitting/listening level, it will have to be at a slightly greater angle than the TV.

Have you chosen a center speaker yet so that weight and dimensions can be compared to an available bracket?

Steve

eg1

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply, srb. No, I have not chosen one yet because I still don't know what is possible. The TV is likely to be an LG 55LH40, if that helps.

I am also more concerned with "left-right" turns of the tv on the bracket than "up-down" ones. In the latter case the sound will still seem to be coming from the screen, whereas in the former I imagine there might be some problems unless the speaker is mounted directly to the tv in some way so that it turns where the tv turns.

mcgsxr

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:59 pm »
eg1 - your install will require a more complex mount for the LCD than did my own for the plasma, as you are looking for an articulating mount.  These are (like most things) more expensive in Canada than in the US, but I have seen some decent ones.

http://www.frontierpc.com/product/Peerless/SA760P.html - this would handle your screen size, and will allow for both side to side and up and down for the display.  Ships from inside Canada too, though they are out of stock at the moment.  This one is in stock though - http://www.frontierpc.com/product/Peerless/SA760PU-S.html

Then of course there is eBay - http://cgi.ebay.ca/Articulating-32-to-56-LCD-Plasma-TV-Swivel-wall-mount_W0QQitemZ290388476100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c8080c4

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ARTICULATING-32-37-42-50-52-60-PLASMA-LCD-TV-WALL-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ280447528572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414bf9ae7c - good to 160 lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ARTICULATING-SWIVEL-32-to-60-LCD-PLASMA-TV-WALL-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ350301645779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518f9aebd3 - good to 175 lbs.

http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2044155050 - this is an example of a plate designed to interface with the mount above, and allows for the mounting of the center channel TO the TV, as it is mounted on the articulating mount.  Total weight would need to be taken into consideration, as srb is pointing out, so you will need to land on a speaker package to sort out what the center channel will weigh etc.

Lots of ways out there to skin the a/v cat, but I know that you have other fish to fry, getting your wife onboard with her direction for the overall fireplace layout.

Once that is sorted out, let me know, you know I love to help with this type of stuff!
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2010, 11:35 pm by mcgsxr »

eg1

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:38 pm »
Yes, wife is very much involved in selection of stone colour for the purpose of turning the wall "bulkhead" (I do not know the correct term) into "the monolith" (courtesy 2001: A Space Odyssey). She is, however, oblivious to the equipment end of the set-up. This is a good thing, so don't tell M!

I have already ordered the bracket -- a Sanus XF228

LG55LH40 delivery is supposed to be this coming Monday. I propose to set it up in the existing TV corner until all the infrastructure for the wall mount is completed.

Know anybody who wants a big-ass, insanely heavy 36" crt?  :lol:

srb

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jan 2010, 03:09 pm »
Know anybody who wants a big-ass, insanely heavy 36" crt?  :lol:

I was able to find someone I knew who wanted my 32" albatross (for free).  It was almost like buying a computer.  From full price to $0 in 6 years.

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jan 2010, 03:16 pm »
Good luck with the beastly 36, I recycled my 32 into the master bedroom - what a pig to hoist up onto the dresser - can only imagine the 36!

Nice choice on the articulating mount, Sanus builds great gear, I can see how that will suit your room well.

Glad to hear the massive TV is arriving too!

Mums the word on my end, looking forward to seeing it, and helping put it where you want it in time.

All the best,

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jan 2010, 03:20 pm »
Good luck with the beastly 36, I recycled my 32 into the master bedroom - what a pig to hoist up onto the dresser - can only imagine the 36!

Funny I have one of those 36" HD XBR400 monitors myself.  It is a beast and has never moved because it's so heavy.  It works fine for it's current purpose (a second home), but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when the time comes either...

eg1

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jan 2010, 09:55 pm »

Nice choice on the articulating mount, Sanus builds great gear, I can see how that will suit your room well.

Glad to hear the massive TV is arriving too!

Mums the word on my end, looking forward to seeing it, and helping put it where you want it in time.

All the best,

It takes two men to lift with the help of straps.

I will start by offering it to my retarded in-laws on an "if you can cart it, you can have it" basis ...  :icon_twisted:

Failing that, there is always 1-800-Got-Junk!

mcgsxr

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:52 am »
Some progress since I last posted in this thread. 

I had planned to build speakers (and I have plenty of proof in other threads around here to prove it was not just idle intent!), but saw an NIB set of Energy satellites that I could not build speakers for the price of - any my wife liked the format of these little speakers.  I knew I could leverage my M&K V7 II to augment the bass, and given the intentions of this main floor system (ie have a good screen, and decent sound), it fit the bill perfectly.

I have purchased and installed the following:

Energy Act 6 satellites x 5.
M&K sub (repurposed from the previous system).
Pioneer VSX-819H-K surround receiver.

I have the receiver, sub, and front 3 speakers up and running.

I have yet to install the rear speakers.

More pics to come.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 03:50 pm by mcgsxr »

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2010, 03:48 pm »
Happy user #1, older daughter Easton.

Happy user #2, younger daugher Cadence.

Final front stage pic.  Yes, I know that the speakers should be further apart and a number of other issues I would normally stress over have been ignored for this install.  This system is about family time, and simplicity of use.  I can live with some audio compromises in this system, to keep the family happy, and give me the room to obsess in other locations!

The Logitech 880 is fantastic - it setup well, and controls everything as I would want it - THANKS eg1!

Last project will be to install the rear speakers, but for the moment I am resting and enjoying - even if we are watching Sponge Bob!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:09 pm »
Nice job Mark, well done.
Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  :eyebrows:

Bob

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:59 pm »
Very very nice install job Mark.   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2010, 07:03 pm »
Well done Mark....enjoy !!  :beer:

Kids are all getting older...say hi !

Chris

eg1

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:31 am »
You're welcome! Looks good and I am looking forward to hearing it  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2010, 06:28 pm »
Wolf, the girls say hi, Easton is wearing her purple "Speaker Model" shirt today, after our reading of this thread last night.

eg1 - hold off till the rears are in, I am sure they will add to the audio flavour.  I will advise, in the process of placement negotiations right now.  Should be ready by next week, 2 weeks at the latest.

Question about the rears - as I have posted, I am willing to make WAF compromises in this system.  My wife wants one of the rears to be placed about 2-2.5 feet "outside" where it would symetrically match the other rear.   :roll:

The Pioneer as an auto setup function, where it measures and calcs the room etc - assume it can make up for that placement compromise?

I bought an 18 foot composite cable that I keep coiled behind the receiver, for moments like this when I know I will need to run the setup again, and the receiver won't output the on screen display via the HDMI.  NOT carrying that old 26 inch CRT up here ever again!   :evil: