Get a projector!

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« on: 30 Dec 2003, 11:15 pm »
For over 30 years I've been a die-hard two-channel guy. In the last couple of years I've had the opportunity to experience a number of very fine home-theaters. But like a plumber who's own toilets leak, I just couldn't find the time to start serious work on my own HT.  A few things happened this year that said to me "just DO IT". So I started making planes and scheduling some time. A month ago I was all set to buy a big RPTV. Then I started looking into projectors. Man, am I glad I did! Was going to go for a Sanyo Z2 at around $1900 but would have had to wait. So, ordered a Z1 for under $1100 and got it two days later. Figured I can always sell it and upgrade later if need be. Selling an RPTV would be a real pain.

It has been SO much fun! Even with a 5 year old DVD non-prog player, the image is very good. Was just showing on a bare white wall, about 100" diagonal. Over the holidays had a lot of people in the house. I'd take a group downstairs to give a "brief" demo, and wouldn't be able to get them to come out. My wife, who rarely wanted to watch DVDs now wants to watch a movie a night. My two teenagers have been watching into the wee hours of the morning, (the only time they can pry it away from my wife and I). The Sanyo looked great right out of the box but now I will probably try a bit of tweaking.

Ordered a 102" 16:9 screen from Carada last week and it arrived yesterday. Took about an hour to unpack and assemble. The image is significantly better than the white wall and the screen/frame is made very well and looks very cool.

Count me one happy projector addict If you're thinking of doing a PJ, go for it, you won't be sorry!  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Get a projector!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:42 am »
I heartily second that.  After living w/a Plus DLP projector for a year or year and a half, I can't imagine going back to a big hulking box.  My HT is projected onto a standard matte finish 100" Da-Lite screen, nothing fancy, and the image quality is great.  But it's the improvement to the sound that was the most shocking- I believe you'll never know how good your system can sound until you drag that big, resonant hollow box of a TV set out of the room!

LCD is making great strides too, and it's finally getting to where I could probably live with it.  But whether you fancy CRT, DLP or LCD, once you go FPTV it's damn hard to ever go back.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Get a projector!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2003, 04:50 am »
Mike,

Welcome to the hi-fi home theater world. Cardas is a nice screen but no perforated yet.

How do you like the Dh labs that you sell( I guess that is a loaded question).

Larry

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2003, 01:45 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I heartily second that.  After living w/a Plus DLP projector for a year or year and a half, I can't imagine going back to a big hulking box.  My HT is projected onto a standard matte finish 100" Da-Lite screen, nothing fancy, and the image quality is great.  But it's the improvement to the sound that was the most shocking- I believe you'll never know how good your system can sound until you drag that big, resonant hollow box of a TV set out of the room!

LCD is making great strides too, and it's finally g ...

Rob:

Good point about getting the TV "box" out of there. Especially considering it is usually right between the mains. Not only resonating but a big, reflective, diffractive surface.
You're right, I don't think I can ever go back to a TV box. I think a lot of people would be shocked at how good an image you can get from a relatively inexpensive PJ. Is my Z1 state-of-the-art? Heck no, but I'd say it looks as good or better than what I see in the local movie theaters.
The biggest problem right now is "scheduling" since everyone in the family wants to use it:)

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2003, 01:53 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
Mike,

Welcome to the hi-fi home theater world. Cardas is a nice screen but no perforated yet.

How do you like the Dh labs that you sell( I guess that is a loaded question).

Larry

Thanks Larry! I've enjoyed plenty of good HTs over the years, but it is going to be really fun having my own.

I like the Carada screen a LOT. I also ordered their grey screen material to try out later. David Giles at Carada is a good guy. I was more than happy to give my business to a consumer-direct company :D

Yep, it's a loaded question. I love the DH Labs cables. A lot of people love them becase we sell a ton of them and with a money back guarantee they rarely come back.

Have a great day!

Cens

Get a projector!
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2003, 02:39 pm »
How big of a room do you need to use a projector?   I've never even considered looking into one given the 12x12 dimensions of my TV room.   Am I wrong to rule one out because of the size?

Regards,

Chris

JackStraw

Get a projector!
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:01 pm »
A friend here has a Z2. About 15 seconds into Austin Powers Goldmember I was sold on the projector idea. I suppose that the major drawback is the need for a dark room to see it. But, I rarely watch movies during the day.

And, Mike, if you're going to change your avatar I figured that you would use the Maestro. That thing looks like a tank or at least an armored personnel carrier. Congrats on what looks like another amazing new product.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: Cens
How big of a room do you need to use a projector?   I've never even considered looking into one given the 12x12 dimensions of my TV room.   Am I wrong to rule one out because of the size?

Regards,

Chris

Chris:

There are a lot of folks over on the AV Science forum that use PJs in rooms no bigger than yours. As long as you have open wall area large enough for the image size you want. You can project the image right on a white wall for starters. There are lots of DIY screens for little money. Or you can purchase many different types of screens. I just rec a 102" diagnal Carada screen and am very pleased with the results. You'll need to decide where you want to put the PJ. That will in part determine what units to look at. Some are designed for long throw (like across a big room) and some are short throw. You'll probably want a short throw. You can shelf mount behind you, ceiling mount, or set on a coffee table. Lots of options. Another great resource is projectorcentral.com  
A nice thing about projectors is that they actually take up very little room. A real benefit in a small room like yours. Do some checking, you might just jump in like I did:)

Cens

Get a projector!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:34 pm »
Mike,

Thanks for the projector central link.  I will definitely look into the idea.  A shelf or ceiling mounted projector and wall screen would clear out a fair amount of space.  

Regards (and Happy New Year!),

Chris

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2003, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
A friend here has a Z2. About 15 seconds into Austin Powers Goldmember I was sold on the projector idea. I suppose that the major drawback is the need for a dark room to see it. But, I rarely watch movies during the day.

And, Mike, if you're going to change your avatar I figured that you would use the Maestro. That thing looks like a tank or at least an armored personnel carrier. Congrats on what looks like another amazing new product.

Jack:

The Z2 was what I originally planned on, but they were backordered and I wanted mine by Christmas (16 days of no school and time to play!) The Z1 is really pretty amazing. When I ordered it I figured I'd just wait for the first price drop on the Z2, and sell the Z1 to upgrade. Now I'm thinking I may keep it for at least a year or two. Our downstairs has thermal blinds over the window and sliding door that keep out most light. There is still a fair amount of ambient light but the image is still very good. I need to figure out some sort of very low level light for use at night. Something that allows my wife to see her wine glass and me to see my beer can:) Tried a rope light but it was too bright. Today's project involves moving Talismans in as main speakers and hanging the PJ from a ceiling mount. Low level lighting is next on the list.

Thanks for the kind comments on the Maestro. It is a serious beast :)  Wish we could have had it ready two years ago. But better to get it right than do it fast. We're still figuring out how to package it properly. . .

Have a great day!

JackStraw

Get a projector!
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2003, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko
Today's project involves moving Talismans in as main speakers and hanging the PJ from a ceiling mount. Low level lighting is next on the list.

That sounds like fun. What I didn't mention about my friend's Z2 is that he keeps it on an end table and rearranges the room so that the PJ is in the middle of the room when it's showtime. Very awkward, ceiling mount is definitely a better way to go. He also uses an Onkyo HTIB that sounds like crap. I'd pick better sound with a smaller image any day.

I'm really happy with my Emerald on-walls, by the way. I have three across the front... it's time to add a sub. But, we're house shopping so the room is TBD. There is no doubt that the Maestro is more than I'll need, and definitely more than I figured on spending. There are so many good options out there in subs right now.

I was wondering, how do you arrange your screen and the center channel speaker so that one isn't blocking the other? I suppose that the easy solution is to just keep the screen higher than the speaker. What we need is an acoustically inert screen so that you could hang an Emerald on-wall behind it... either that or a screen that is also a speaker.
 :smoke:

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2003, 08:39 pm »
"""'m really happy with my Emerald on-walls, by the way. I have three across the front... it's time to add a sub. But, we're house shopping so the room is TBD. There is no doubt that the Maestro is more than I'll need, and definitely more than I figured on spending. There are so many good options out there in subs right now.

I was wondering, how do you arrange your screen and the center channel speaker so that one isn't blocking the other? I suppose that the easy solution is to just keep the screen higher than the speaker. What we need is an acoustically inert screen so that you could hang an Emerald on-wall behind it... either that or a screen that is also a speaker. """

Jack:

Glad you like the Emerald On-Walls. They've really taken off for us. Nothing but positive response. I'm planning on using a pair for my rears. Wish I could use them at the sides, but no sidewall on one side . . .
The Maestro is more sub than most people need. Heck, the Titan is more sub than a lot of people need, that's why we have the Force as well.
I have my screen up fairly high with my center (Veritas) on a stand right under and in front of it. Works great! Several companies do make acoustically transparent screens. I know out local install partner just used some type of a woven screen (Screen Research maybe?) in front of an Essence center. That system should be up and running within a week or so. I just found out that my PJ mount was dropped off at the office. Time to head over and pick it up:)

mgalusha

Get a projector!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2003, 11:45 pm »
I have a 16x9 sony lcd projector. It's few years old now but I've been pretty happy with it. Like most LCD's, black isn't a strong point but in a nice dark room with a black wall beind the screen it's pretty good. Finally starting to get some good HDTV signals after several years of only 2 channels on the satellite. ESPN's HD football broadcasts are amazing.  I do love the fact that a projector uses zero floor space.

I'm using a 108" DaLite matte screen, I would like to give one of the grey screens a try but it's a pretty good chunk of cash for something that I'm not really unhappy with. It's almost time to relamp, not looking forward to that purchase. :(

mike g

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Get a projector!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2004, 01:13 am »
Yeah, anyone w/DLP or LCD has to pay the piper for a bulb occasionally, but that's still a helluva lot cheaper than retubing a CRT projector.  Within a few years of use a CRT will lose 1/2 it's brightness :o , and retubing can run into thousands.  I won't argue that the best CRTs are better than fixed pixel displays, but the gap narrows with each model year.  And any decent CRT FPTV is priced outta reach of the average HT guy.

I'll trade off that 10% of the max performance for high light output, low maintainance & freedom from burn-in any day.

In my HT the projector is ceiling mounted, so when not in use it's essentially not even there...

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2004, 01:16 am »
Mike:

I took a look as your system pics, nice! I ordered both the cinema white and the grey Carada screens. Just going to use the white for now. Will try the grey sometime down the road. Sure wish I had HDTV, especially with the Packer's in the playoffs :D I have found that is I shrink the image as far as possible it is watchable for football. Not much worse than the old 32" actually, and a LOT bigger. I'm hoping our local cableco will have HDTV this spring as they say they will. Don't really want to hassle with an antenna if cable is coming that soon.
Time to get on with New Year's Eve. My wife is working up some great scallop-crab dish, and I just got the new Projector ceiling mounted in time for our own theatrical showing of Seabiscuit. Have a great New Year's eve everyone!

mgalusha

Get a projector!
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2004, 04:28 am »
Rob,

I agree, the thought of re-tubing a CRT projector is frightening. My projector will be three years old in February and this will be it's first lamp replacement, so that's not so bad. Running it in "cinema black" mode extends lamp life to about 2000 hours and it shows 1932 at the moment.

Mike,

I recently switched from Dish to our local cable company (Comcast) primarily for the HDTV lineup. They are providing 4 local channels in HD plus HBO, Showtime, ESPN and two INHD channels. Supposedly they are adding Starz and another one within a couple of weeks. Cost is almost the same and getting the local channels in HD is very nice. Hopefully your local cable provider will get HD online soon, very nice to feed the projector a good signal. :)

Happy New Years all!

mike g

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2004, 03:15 pm »
Mike:

Word has it that our local cableco will go HDTV by June. They have it in several markets that are fairly close. I sure hope they do. Wish it was this weekend so we could watch the Packers in HDTV on their way to the Superbowl:) Unfortunately, FOX is carrying the game and their picture is not as good as the local NBC or CBS station. As long as the Packers win it is all cool . . .

chino

Get a projector!
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2004, 03:05 pm »
Hi,
What's this screen goo I heard about? Anyone familiar with this?

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Get a projector!
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2004, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: chino
Hi,
What's this screen goo I heard about? Anyone familiar with this?

Chino:

Just head over to AV Science Forum, the screens section. Tons of info on various DIY screen materials, paints etc.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Get a projector!
« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2004, 12:58 am »
For any acoustic screen Mike you are correct screen research is the woven screen. I will see them at CES. I think this will work better then a perforated screen for acoustics.

Larry