What's the BEST Pre/Pro Under $6k?

Marbles

Bad news for TAG owners...
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:58 am »
Quote from: Marbles

I had also heard that the TAG stuff was good, but they had a real shakeup in the USA over a year ago and I'm not sure how steady a company they are.

TAG McLaren Audio to Cease Product Development
  Exclusive: The future of TAG McLaren Audio looks bleak, all future product development will cease and the company is likely to withdraw completely from the audio/video markets following an internal review; this was the bombshell Chief Executive Office Dr. Udo Zucker dropped on TAG dealers earlier today.

Read the full text here:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=18448214

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2003, 03:41 am »
I really feel sorry for its current user base who paid $$$.  Resaleability and service support just went up in smoke.   :roll:

shokunin

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2003, 12:44 am »
I suspect a number of Tag units will be on sale on Audiogon before their resale value plummets.

Ears

« Reply #43 on: 2 Aug 2003, 11:16 pm »
I have been doing a lot of research on pre/pros and reading owners of many higher end brand pre/pros opinions and it seems the Parasound halo has the best multi and stereo sonics in the 5k and under bracket.

According to people who, have owned Classe,Bryston,Anthem,Aragon,Lexicon and Sunfire ect....The Parasound c2 available for around 3200.00 street is the winner in sonics and looks.

I was just about ready to order one when i found out that in order to do true analog pass thru without re- digitation,you would have to use balanced connections to the amp.

Apparently, you can use single ended connectors through the 7.1 channel imputs and have true analog pass thru , but lose bm and tone controls doing so.

There is enough informed info on the Halo and other pre/pros at the AVS forums to numb your mind.

The ideal pre/pro for me would be one with the best sonics on ss and stereo multi channel sacd ect, without any video switching or surround modes other than dd/dts dpl2.....apparently, I am in the minority though.

michael w

« Reply #44 on: 3 Aug 2003, 12:44 am »

The ideal pre/pro for me would be one with the best sonics on ss and stereo multi channel sacd ect, without any video switching or surround modes other than dd/dts dpl2.....apparently, I am in the minority though.

Nope I agree with you.
Keep it simple with a real analog bypass.
Can leave out bass management too, an unnecessary evil.
Now that's really in the minority.

:wink:

cheerio

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 3 Aug 2003, 03:50 am »
It's not really full featured (ie no decoders) but from what I've heard the McCormick MAP-1 may be about as good as it gets, sound-wise, for under $5k.  It lacks DD/DTS decoders but includes 2 X 5.1 ch preamp inputs, 3 stereo in's and ARMS (a sort of PLII type of ambience recovery thing).  Just add your own DVD player w/ built in decoder (like every one I've ever seen over $200!) and you're good to go.

I'd sure like to hear one for myself eventually.

michael w

« Reply #46 on: 3 Aug 2003, 10:31 pm »
The McCormack is nice.

In a similar vein you could go for a used Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro with the TAP-9000ES analog 6 channel preamp.

Two boxes but the best surround and multi-channel music for well under $2k ?

cheerio

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:27 am »
I haven't seen the Sony for sale anywhere in quite awhile, NOS or used; but then I haven't been looking either.

petermwilson

« Reply #48 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:07 pm »
Hi,

Denon 5803, THX ultra II 170wperch (all channels driven) 2 separate sets of 8ch analogs Denon Link. Dolby plII DolbyHeadphone, works great with 4ohm speakers.

Downside (the manual sucks)
Recent professional review have stated that it is the closest thing to "highend Separates" best all-in-one on the market.

Peter m.
I own an upgraded 5800

petermwilson

« Reply #49 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:09 pm »
Hi,

Denon 5803, THX ultra II 170wperch (all channels driven) 2 separate sets of 8ch analogs Denon Link. Dolby plII DolbyHeadphone, works great with 4ohm speakers.

Downside (the manual sucks)
Recent professional review have stated that it is the closest thing to "highend Separates" best all-in-one on the market.

Peter m.
I own an upgraded 5800

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:27 am »
Hey, good to see you over here, petermwilson.  Decided to come where the action is? :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:29 am »
BTW, I haven't posted any comments about it yet, but I've had Nickel Creek's "This Side" on SACD in heavy rotation lately; it's awsome, great music and a F-in' fantastic MC sound.  On "Speak" you're almost afraid to breath during the song!

witchdoctor

« Reply #52 on: 9 Aug 2003, 09:14 pm »
Robin,
Any word if your amps have arrived yet? Looking forward to your feedback on your new system.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #53 on: 9 Aug 2003, 09:47 pm »
Quote from: witchdoctor
Robin,
Any word if your amps have arrived yet? Looking forward to your feedback on your new system.
                    Nope, no amps yet. They were shipped from the factory friday, but I`m not in any hurry as I`m still waiting for Ridge Street Audio to send me some cables. PLUS I had to send back the VenHaus flavor 2 PC`s in favor of his new flavor 4`s. But I DO have a Sunfire TG3 w/Acme cryoed silver IEC upgrade and 2 sheets of Stillpoints ERS lining the inside casing setting around here collecting dust. I also have Wayne`s new Bolder Bybee S-video adapter to play with, more eye than ear candy tho. :lol: I`ll be in touch with reactions hopefully by next weekend?  :roll: Regards, Robin

Ears

« Reply #54 on: 24 Aug 2003, 03:16 pm »
I did some more research and found that the Parasound halo c2 does have true analog bypass through its 7.1 se ic's or stereo balanced ic's.
For me , it was this or the Bryston sp1.7 which is said to have almost as good sonics as the c2.
I was told that Krells best pre/pro was slightly better yet, but can't justify spending that much on a pre/pro, especially one that will become obsolete in a year or so.
For the price I could get either the Bryston or c2 for from an authorized dealer....it was a no brainer.

I will let it run in a few weeks after I recieve it next week, and do a comparison to a freinds 1.7 as well as my old B&k pre/pro.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #55 on: 24 Aug 2003, 04:27 pm »
Quote from: Ears
I did some more research and found that the Parasound halo c2 does have true analog bypass through its 7.1 se ic's or stereo balanced ic's.
For me , it was this or the Bryston sp1.7 which is said to have almost as good sonics as the c2.
I was told that Krells best pre/pro was slightly better yet, but can't justify spending that much on a pre/pro, especially one that will become obsolete in a year or so.
For the price I could get either the Bryston or c2 for from an authorized dealer....it was a no braine ...
                 Congratulations Ears on your new per/pro purchase, did you get the Halo C2 for $3200 and what are you pairing this unit up with? I gave this pre/pro  good look also but for what I wanted and for the money savings, I went with the Sunfire TG3. Enjoy! :)  Regards, Robin

Ears

« Reply #56 on: 24 Aug 2003, 05:10 pm »
Robin, I got it for 2888.00 delivered from an authorized dealer and it will be mated with 5  custom made stand mounted monitors with Scan speak woofers and revelator tweets all around.
The speakers all have alpha core/hovaland internals with solid silver wiring.
I also run two powered subs, a Legacy [Coda] 5 x 250 hi current amp and a Phillips 963sa that I  am currently modding with Blackgate caps,Superclock 2 ect.
If the Phillips works as a reference multi player when I am done, it will be my only source.
Otherwise, I will buy a tubed cd only player or dac and use the Phillips for sacd 2 and multi channel/dvd transport, and the possible tubed player or dac for redbook.
I am doing the mods a few at a time and so far it sounds amazing.

I have a  mixed bag of audiophool approved cables from Acoustic zen, Audience,Virtual dynamics and Analysis plus to tie it all together.

I am trying the audiophool aproach to H/T sonics and everything is setup for 2 ch audio first and have found that buying/choosing a pre/pro is not an easy thing to do, but rather a lot of work.

Greg

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #57 on: 24 Aug 2003, 07:47 pm »
WOW, dynamite price on that Parasound Greg, you got me second guessing my Sunfire purchase. :lol:  Oh well, I DO like Sunfire`s blue screen display, it`ll go good with my Butler amp`s blue tubes. :wink: Those speakers sound killer as does your whole system. Who`s making them up for yah? I have 4 Odyssey Audio Lorelei`s being made up using the same driver/tweeter. All my IC, digital, speaker wiring will be Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition. And my source other than a Sony NS755P DVD is a C-band satellite system with both analog/digital capabilities. I`ve been working on my foundation (BPT power conditioner/dedicated circuit/lots of Bybee`s) for a year now but I`m moving up to high end ALL at once. The symergy better be there cuz it`ll be 2 years before I can afford to do anything about it. :lol: Regards, Robin

Ears

« Reply #58 on: 26 Aug 2003, 04:03 am »
The catch on the price is I have to wait for the c2 to be shipped from Cali to the east coast and then to Michigan...probably 10-14 days.

My speakers were kits from Meniscus audio who is local to me but sells nation wide and has for many years at www.meniscusaudio.com

I solder the x overs and drivers ect and upgraded the stock dh labs silver coated to Audio consulting solid silver internal wiring.
I can't go wrong with my pre/pro upgrade as I had a B&K ref 20, so any of the newer pre/pros would be an upgrade to me.

Your going to love your new speakers as mine replaced Thiel 3.6's and I prefer the monitors from 40hz and up.

greg

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 26 Aug 2003, 04:14 am »
Robin,

I'm not sure if you had the opportunity to listen to the TG3 or if you went on readings, but I like the unit quite a bit and I think it's a great foundation for an HT/music pre at that price-point.  I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised (or wow-ed) when you finally listen to it in your new system.

Regards,

Rup