New King of 2.5k or less universals

21stCenturyRedneck

« Reply #60 on: 26 Apr 2005, 07:37 pm »
Questions:[/u]

1.)  Can this Onkyo player play DVD+RW????

2.)  Does the Onkyo have a dual layer buffer (i.e. so picture is seemless without a pause when the DVD layer changes)?

3.)  Does the transformer make a clicking sound.   (My Philips SACD 1000 idrives me nuts with it's clicking as the DVD mode changes!)

4.)  Any good cd/dvd players that are bang for buck good (i.e. under $500)?

Ears

« Reply #61 on: 3 May 2005, 09:20 am »
Quote from: 21stCenturyRedneck
Questions:[/u]

1.)  Can this Onkyo player play DVD+RW????

2.)  Does the Onkyo have a dual layer buffer (i.e. so picture is seemless without a pause when the DVD layer changes)?

3.)  Does the transformer make a clicking sound.   (My Philips SACD 1000 idrives me nuts with it's clicking as the DVD mode changes!)

4.)  Any good cd/dvd players that are bang for buck good (i.e. under $500)?

1 This player will play anything without any problem and has the smoothest transport ever on a dvd based player.
2 Its said 2 be.5 seconds on the layer change but I rarely if ever notice a change.

3 This players build is far superior to the problem plagued boat anchor known as the sacd 1000....and there is zero noise coming from the transformer or anything else.

4.Not anywhere near the same leauge as this one for video or audio.

This player was just compared to the Denon 5910  by Area dvd and found to be a superior sounding player which is no suprise to me.
They also found the transport to be quieter and smoother which is also no suprise.
The 5910 had reportedly just slightly better video performance though.

Ditch your boat anchor and buy this well made beast of a universal as the sacd 1000 even without the clicking and other problems is not even in the same leauge as this player in any category.

levesque

« Reply #62 on: 6 May 2005, 01:00 pm »
Kris Deering form Secrets (the guy doing the DVD-players shoot-out) is doing an evalution of the SP1000 right now, and here's the results (post on AVS):

"Component out:

1. Denon 5910
2. Panasonic RP-82
3. Arcam DV-27A
4. Panasonic XP-30
5. Onkyo SP-1000

Over HDMI, and if your display doesn't show MB (if it does just take the 3910 off the list):

1. Denon 5910
2. Denon 3910/Pioneer 59AVi tie
4. Onkyo SP1000
5. Panasonic S97

I know a lot of you will scoff but I hate CUE issues and the Onkyo has them. And that would just drive me nuts. I remember trying to live with them with the excellent DVD-2800 and 2900. "

The SP1000 is suffering from the CUE issues. And some users are reporting problems with lipsync issues also.

Ears

« Reply #63 on: 9 May 2005, 09:11 pm »
Funny how you got test results already that have not even happened yet....its also very funny how nobody....not one single person has reported seeing cue problems on the 1000....and only a handfull at your favorite a/v site say they have sync and that its display dependent.

I don't think you will find many people here who actually judge a players picture quality in the real world from Secrets alone.

There testing does not line up with what every pro review comparison or the many personal calibrated comparisons have determined.

The fact is, only one player is slightly better at video only....and thats the 5910 so please spread your spin and lies elsewhere.....weren't you already warned here once?

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #64 on: 9 May 2005, 09:28 pm »
First of all, Hi to everyone. I've been lurking for a while and I'm VERY impressed with AC! :)

Quote from: Ears
Funny how you got test results already that have not even happened yet....its also very funny how nobody....not one single person has reported seeing cue problems on the 1000....and only a handfull at your favorite a/v site say they have sync and that its display dependent.

I don't think you will find many people here who actually judge a players picture quality in the real world from Secrets alone.

There testing does not line up with what every pro review comparison or the many personal calibrated comparisons have determined.

The fact is, only one player is slightly better at video only....and thats the 5910 so please spread your spin and lies elsewhere.....weren't you already warned here once? ...

Ah, yes. Facts are pesky things, aren't they? ;)

Speaking of facts, let's run through some, shall we, since you and I are two actual owners of an Onkyo 1000 and I don't honestly believe Levesque has ever SEEN one before. If he has, I know he's never spent any appreciable time with one, to be sure.

Here's some food for thought as you decide what you want to do and if you want to take one of these 1000's  for a "test drive." I'm one of the vast majority of VERY happy owners.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484072&highlight=Onkyo

Here's our so-called "sync thread" that I started over four months ago. When it went up, I PM'd over 50 individuals out of every Onkyo and Integra thread that I could discern was an owner. Most of them never bothered to come back.

As of today, we have 15/28 units accounted for that showed some sort of a sync issue here at AVS. Once you leave AVS, you'll find virtually no mention of this sync issue whatsoever. A few other forums' have some offhand discussion about...heh, the AVS sync thread. Go figure. After that, nothing.

No amount of spin will ever change the fact that the sync issue is virtually non-existent outside of the small world known as AVS. Levesque and a few others have tried to build a mountain out of a mole hil and it's just not there for them. It never will be.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488569&highlight=Onkyo

The first 5 pages or so of this thread might also prove useful to you.

Before our usual group of trolls were allowed to come in and deliberately take down yet another Onkyo 1000 thread, with no consequences as a result, we had a wonderful compilation of professional reviews, both domestic and international, assembled in that thread. Contrary to the lie that was planted towards the end, there are no negative reviews that anyone can find about this unit anywhere even though we repeatedly invited EVERYONE to submit ANY professional material in regards to the Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5.

The simple fact is: There are NO negative professional reviews about the Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5 out there. None.

I think you'll find the material in the first 4-5 pages of that thread or so quite eye opening and revealing, especially when you see some reviewers favor the Onkyo over both Esoteric and Meridian hardware.

We even had one person who was selling a Linn Unidisc and pocketing the difference in cash and buying an Onkyo 1000 instead, because he didn't feel there was an appreciable enough difference to justify the drastic cost. Fascinating reading.

As you're going along, these are some other facts to consider about this unit:

1.) There are no other audio or a/v site worldwide that mention sync problems.

The stray ones that you will see are invariably discussing the AVS sync thread here because it's such an anamoly to them. They don't know what to make of it. I loved the one forumer at another forum that even tried to to use MY words to propagate the lie about "50 percent or more of ALL units have sync." The only so-called source for this lie is the AVS sync thread. There is nothing else! No other sources! Somehow, these frauds decide they can project large scale data from a 28 unit base sample off of one lone AV forum.

This sort of foolishness and stupidity defies all basic logic and basic understanding of polling and statistics. It's impossible to take these people seriously, but they've never told the truth or backed themselves up yet on anything they say. Continued self-credibility destruction. Amazing.

2.) Scarce, to usually, no refurbs of the Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5 on the market. Compare and contrast that with at least one VERY popular brand that can't get rid of their refurbs fast enough.

3.) There have been NO price reductions on the new selling price of a new Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5.

That's a key point right there. We've all seen what it looks like when a product is fatally flawed and then gets abandoned by the manufacturer in lieu of a new model for the next year.

This is basic economics and common sense, isn't it? If the majority of the product line were plagued with sync, and it wasn't display dependent, Onkyo/Integra would have to slash'n'burn to try and get rid of these units. You'd already be hearing talk about successor units by now.

None of this has happened.

4.) Goes along with number 2. There are not many used Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5  players for sale...if any at all.

Ebay, Audiogon, Videogon, take your pick. Again, compare and contrast that with at least one, if not several, very popular brands around here and it speaks for itself, imho.

Quote from: Ears

Their testing does not line up with what every pro review comparison or the many personal calibrated comparisons have determined.

Secrets' credibility is undermined in my eyes when they have such players  as the $200 Oppo, the Denon 1600, and a few other questionable entrants slated as high royalty. Please. :roll:

On that same token, I enjoy their work and find it to be valuable, but you have to weigh it in a larger context.

I'm dismayed by how some people seem to want to use Secrets or any other source as THE first, last, and ONLY word on a subject. A lot of them do this without so much as actually seeing the hardware for themselves. Troubling.

Speaking of pro reviews, this brings us to fact number 5:

5.) 10 professional reviews and counting...with no mention of a sync issue whatsoever. Domestic and International.

You'll get a taste of it in that pro thread that I linked you to here:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488569&highlight=Onkyo

Out of all the known professional reviews that anyone can find, including all the ones that you'll see in that thread...NO mention of sync whatsoever. Domestic and international. No one yet has been able to find or present any material to the contrary of any of this. And they never will.

UPDATE: Areadvd.de did a head to head with the new Denon 5910 and the Integra/Onkyo beat it out on audio.

You'll have to find a way to translate the German. I can read it very vaguely and I've had several German speaking friends look it over. Babel and other translating services may work or give you mixed results.

6.) NO mention of CUE errors worldwide. No reports of ANYONE seeing CUE ERRORS ANYWHERE on the Onkyo 1000/Integra 10.5.

Secrets will be the VERY first to do so. You all have to decide for yourselves how much weight any one source has.

Personally, and with no disrespect meant, it just doesn't carry much weight with me at all vs. the reviews I just linked you all to. NONE of those pro reviews mention CUE errors, either, and they all used some rather high end equipment, to be sure. Surely at least one of those pro reviews would have made some passing mention of a CUE error, would they not?

After 6 months of up and down...these are all indisputable facts  that clearly speak for themselves. No one has ever been able to present any concrete evidence or material to the contrary of anything I've written here because they can't. It doesn't exist.

Anyone who is in the market for a top tier universal player and doesn't want to have to spend $3000+ or more to get the job done would be doing themselves a disservice not to at least take either the Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5 for a spin. They're a real bargain, considering what they can do right out of the box, if you can get them at a fair price and you end up not having the sync, like the vast majority of owners.

You'd have to spend a lot more than $1600-$2000 to find something APPRECIABLY better across the boards than the Onkyo 1000 or the Integra 10.5. give you right out of the box. Audio and Video. That's yet another fact.

Don't let some of the lies and spin from a bitter, vocal minority that has no clue what they're talking about scare you from taking a test drive and making up your OWN mind. Seeing and hearing ARE believing!

For my money, I believe the Onkyo 1000 and Integra 10.5 truly are the kings of the <$2500 tier, at least.

Good luck! :)

wshuff

« Reply #65 on: 10 May 2005, 03:05 am »
I don't get it.  Are you guys suggesting that the Onkyo doesn't have CUE problems because it wasn't mentioned by any reviewer other than Kris?  Are you trying to imply that Kris is lying or that his objective test results are somehow less reliable than a subjective review?  As for the quote above, I'm pretty sure that came directly from Kris on AVS, giving his own personal ranking based on what he had seen so far.

Kris and Secrets make it very clear what they are trying to do with respect to their testing, and they have said on more than one occasion (and it is also mentioned in the Benchmark, I believe) that they don't intend the Benchmark as some sort of absolute ranking of DVD players.  What the Benchmark does do is show how well DVD players, both expensive and cheap, handle and process video, particularly less than perfect sources, and I've found the scores to correspond to the performance I see on my TV.  The previous Pioneers I had showed numerous errors that I accepted for years thinking them just inherent flaws in the DVD format.  My current players, both fairly highly ranked by Secrets, were noticeably better and didn't show those flaws, particularly combing.  I don't think that Secrets would discourage anybody from evaluating a DVD player for themself and choosing based upon what they see, but the fact that somebody doesn't find a particular model's inability to pass a certain test very important doesn't invalidate the test results.

With respect to the Onkyo, it is clear from what has been posted on AVS thus far that it is a very strong performer and among the handful of best out there.  The performance is limited by the capability of the parts, i.e., the MPEG decoder and the deinterlacing chip from Silicon Image.  It seems that nearly every company uses MPEG decoders that are only adequate at best with CUE problems of some sort, but Faroudja processing allows some of those errors to be masked in certain players.  Of course, Faroudja processing leads to its own problems with MB.  The Onkyo doesn't use Faroudja, so it avoids MB but then can't mask those CUE problems.  That wouldn't be an issue for me given that I don't seem particularly bothered by it (and have another player for any DVDs that might be bad for CUE), but for others it may well be an issue.    As for the Silicon Image deinterlacing, it is, as expected, top notch, as it has been for the past few years.  It has simply been surpassed by HQV.  The fact is, however, that HQV is only available in one player that is nearly double the cost of the Onkyo.  In fact, it appears that is the only player out there of all that have been tested that doesn't suffer from some level of CUE and/or MB.  For some that will make it worth the $3500 MSRP.

The bottom line is that what we know so far of the Secrets testing of the Onkyo confirms that it is one of the very best out there, and if you don't want to worry about MB, then maybe the only one under $3000.  With a better MPEG decoder it would have very few weaknesses as far as video is concerned.  If I could take advantage of the scaling, it would be the one I had my eye on.

Ears

« Reply #66 on: 10 May 2005, 12:50 pm »
wshuff,   what were saying is according to dozens of personal extensive calibrated comparisons on everything from plasma to dlp pj's, nobody personally has picked either the 59avi or the 3910 over a 1000....add on to that fact that 11 pro reviews, with most directly comparing the 1000 to the 5900,3910 59avi  and all picking the 1000 for every category as the top performer.

Remember Secrets do scientific tests that may , as in this case not show up in the real world such as cue which not a single person has actually seen....they are not reviewers and never actually look at the players or even listen to the players for comparison.

Area dvd does both testing and an actual review comparison with other top players.
They said the 1000 had the very best de-interlacer ect ect ect.....but I don't care about there tests either....just there actual direct comparisons as well as the many personal comparisons that are posted in the Integra thread on different types of displays with the same results.

BTW... Area dvd actually reported the macro blocking on the 5900 in there review were Secrets had to have myself and a few others mention it  numerous times along with specific movies and scenes before they admitted anything......yes testing does not equal whats best  going by the 3910,5900...all of which I have personally compared.

My 3910 never had any macro blocking problems, it just did not have as clean of a background and did not have the eye popping colors or the extra dimensional look of the 1000 under calibrated comparisons.

When you add in that its got a cheap build with a cheesy transport and remote, and the fact that the audio does not compare, or that the first 3910 was DOA, or that the second would not play a dvd +r, had dts dropout and the upconversion button on the remote quit working after two days ....and this does not include problems that were fixed later via firmware such as y/c delay ect ect..... you can also see the many complaint threads of other problems if you only look.

These results from these tests are not even done ....yet period.

Secrets themselves make no claim that these test results tell you which player looks best under actual viewing conditions.....or for that matter, which player has the least or no bugs or the smoothest transport....or which will play all media without problem......do I need to go on?

There more like a guide as to which ones to consider ....don't believe me....ask for yourself as they have mentioned this many  times over the last few years.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #67 on: 10 May 2005, 05:55 pm »
My underlying point to this entire thing is to underscore how this sort of testing often times isn't the best indicator for "real world" use. That's all my point really is. No accusations, implicit or otherwise, intended, so please don't read into ANY of my comments like that.

Quote from: wshuff
I don't get it. Are you guys suggesting that the Onkyo doesn't have CUE problems because it wasn't mentioned by any reviewer other than Kris? Are you trying to imply that Kris is lying or that his objective test results are somehow less reliable than a subjective review? As for the quote above, I'm pretty sure that came directly from Kris on AVS, giving his own personal ranking based on what he had seen so far.

Not at all. I'm merely suggesting taking in the largest, overall context possible, with Secrets being one of many sources that add up to a total body of information.

Kris and Secrets make it very clear what they are trying to do with respect to their testing, and they have said on more than one occasion (and it is also mentioned in the Benchmark, I believe) that they don't intend the Benchmark as some sort of absolute ranking of DVD players.

You're right! Unfortunately, though, on certain forums, we have this group of spin doctors and acolytes that are determined to make Secrets just that and they'll exclude ANY outside information or sources. You have one of them that posts here on occasion as well. ;)

Two ideas to make Secrets' better:

1.) I and many others have asked Kris and his crew, on more than one occasion, to REMOVE ALL final scores altogether and simply post the raw data, put all the players in alphabetical order, and let the chips fall where they may.

2.) Probably a logistical nightmare and I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but theoretically: If Secrets could blind test every unit from now on. Kris and whoever else is doing the testing would have no idea the make or the brand of the unit they were testing until AFTER all the work was done.

What the Benchmark does do is show how well DVD players, both expensive and cheap, handle and process video, particularly less than perfect sources, and I've found the scores to correspond to the performance I see on my TV.

Sometimes I agree with them, other times I do not. In terms of the Onkyo 1000, I disagree with them and the apparent underrating that they're going to be giving the Onkyo 1000... and so do 11 other professional reviewers. Domestic and International. ;)

The previous Pioneers I had showed numerous errors that I accepted for years thinking them just inherent flaws in the DVD format. My current players, both fairly highly ranked by Secrets, were noticeably better and didn't show those flaws, particularly combing. I don't think that Secrets would discourage anybody from evaluating a DVD player for themselves and choosing based upon what they see, but the fact that somebody doesn't find a particular model's inability to pass a certain test very important doesn't invalidate the test results.

Fair enough.

The problem again is: Despite all of this, you have this crew of spin doctors that run around on certain other forums and they use Secrets' as their lone source and base for spin and lies.

If you browse the AVS DVD forums for any appreciable amount of time, you're going to be blown away by how often you see this practice.

Invariably, you'll see some thread trolled with "But Secrets says this, so..." You do a search for "Onkyo" over in the DVD forum at AVS and just look at how many Onkyo 1000 threads have been deliberately trolled, derailed, and locked since December.

Take note of the same cast of characters that are always responsible for this as well. One of them posts here and has had several of his posts rightfully deleted in the past for trying to pull the same crap here. Thankfully, the admins here do not tolerate that sort of nonsense.

With respect to the Onkyo, it is clear from what has been posted on AVS thus far that it is a very strong performer and among the handful of best out there.

Yes!

The performance is limited by the capability of the parts, i.e., the MPEG decoder and the deinterlacing chip from Silicon Image. It seems that nearly every company uses MPEG decoders that are only adequate at best with CUE problems of some sort, but Faroudja processing allows some of those errors to be masked in certain players. Of course, Faroudja processing leads to its own problems with MB. The Onkyo doesn't use Faroudja, so it avoids MB but then can't mask those CUE problems. That wouldn't be an issue for me given that I don't seem particularly bothered by it (and have another player for any DVDs that might be bad for CUE), but for others it may well be an issue. As for the Silicon Image deinterlacing, it is, as expected, top notch, as it has been for the past few years. It has simply been surpassed by HQV. The fact is, however, that HQV is only available in one player that is nearly double the cost of the Onkyo. In fact, it appears that is the only player out there of all that have been tested that doesn't suffer from some level of CUE and/or MB. For some that will make it worth the $3500 MSRP.

Yes, except for nearly twice the price, I'd argue that the Denon 5910 does not have APPRECIABLE gains on the Onkyo 1000, overall. Furthermore, for $3500, the lack of custom resolutions is simply mind boggling.

The Denon 5910 could be deemed a "failure" by some because of the lack of custom resolutions and timings in combination with the price. $3500 for a DVD player is fine if it's loaded to the moon and essentially has a DVDO Iscan bult into it, but having no custom resolutions is a major oversight for a high end player.

You can get the super deinterlacing with an outboard scaler like Lumagen or Algolith or Iscan and buy a moderately priced HDMI or SDI transport. The Denon 5910 makes no sense in that regard. It may have the Realta but my experience with it and my readings are very similar scaling / deinterlacing to even the Pioneer 59 AVi for 1/3 of price. Think about that. And then think about where the Onkyo 1000 and Integra 10.5 fall in line with that. ;)

The bottom line is that what we know so far of the Secrets testing of the Onkyo confirms that it is one of the very best out there, and if you don't want to worry about MB, then maybe the only one under $3000. With a better MPEG decoder it would have very few weaknesses as far as video is concerned. If I could take advantage of the scaling, it would be the one I had my eye on.

Fair enough! :)

Ears already covered a lot of this for me, but I'll add my $0.02 anyways.

For me, Secrets is one of MANY sources that I use and add up to a total body of work and reference before I move forward towards a demo and ultimate purchase. I respect them and value their work, but they aren't the first, last, and only word on the subject for me.

But there's no changing this FACT: Kris and Secrets will be THE very first, lone dissenters on this Onkyo 1000. They will also be the very first to dare put it below anything besides the Denon 5910 for ANY reason.

And I just simply don't agree with them, nor do the 11 professionals that I linked you to in my last post. FWIW, YMMV, etc. etc. No insults intended, no disrespect intended, but it is what it is.  

By MY personal experiences with the Onkyo 1000, beginning with demoing of it, Denon 3910, and Pioneer 59, among a few others, through October and November on a ISF calibrated BenQ 8700 on an 80 inch screen, my results agree with the professional reviews I linked you to.

Component video AND HDMI: The Onkyo simply produced a better picture than either the Denon 3910 or the Pioneer 59. Noticeably so. Build quality and transport? Not even close. Audio? Not even close. All this out of the box, of course.

Were the Pioneer 59 or Denon 3910 trash? NO! Not by any means! The Onkyo was simply better, though.

You'll probably have Levesque come in here and give us the usual "Pioneer 59 480i HDMI over the $1500 Iscan HD+ can't be beat!" but that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

OF COURSE  a $1000+ player combined with a dedicated, $1000-1500 video processor is probably going to be very hard to beat. You throw in a few hundred extra bucks for an SDI mod and there ya go. It's moot and irrelevant. We all can agree to this and move on.

All of this is about out of the box and straight up.

(As as aside: I'd easily recommend the Pioneer 59 or the Onkyo 1000 + an Iscan HD+ (or comparable brand's video processor) over the Denon 5910 any day of the week. Better bargain, better overall performance, custom resolutions, etc. across the boards. ) The Onkyo 1000/Iscan HD+ combo would be untouchable for thousands of dollars to come.

If I had not landed the insane $1447 Vanns.com sales price back in November on the Onkyo 1000, I'd very likely be a Pioneer 59 owner right now. I truly believe it to be the king of the <$1000 tier, at least. I'd even give it the <$1500 range. But that's where it ends.

The Pioneer 59 and Denon 3910 are both EXCELLENT players for their price class, but let's not make them out to be more than what they are, like some have desperately tried.

They are not in the same league the Onkyo 1000 or the Denon 5910. It's that simple. Fact. Anyone who spends any decent amount of time with these players will figure this out for themselves.

From there, I considered the Pioneer 59 to be the second best player after the Onkyo 1000 and ahead of the Denon 3910 because of the Faroudja bugaboos like digital artifacting, ghosting, and macroblocking. For me it was VERY noticeable on the ISF'd BenQ 8700 via 80 inch screen. Shocking.

The, when you can even see these sorts of things even 8 feet away on some 4:3 32 inch Tube, you know you've got problems. Forget about what I saw on a much larger screen!

I swore off Faroudja after dealing with all of that on the otherwise excellent-for-$200 Zenith 318 from March-July of last year. I also wanted a massive audio upgrade and began seriously building my HT around that time. The Onkyo 1000 became the center of my HT.

The Zenith 318 was a nightmare even on a 32 inch tube, in terms of Faroudja bugaboos and white crush, among other things. At $200, it's easily forgiven. At $1000+, it's unacceptable.

I knew for any upgrades, I'd have to steer clear of Faroudja and I've never looked back. I never WOULD go back to a Faroudja based unit ever again, at least with the existing Faroudja chips.

Macroblocking, ghosting, digitial artifacting. 3 strikes and you're out.

These are three things that I can't tolerate and yet I see several players that are well known to be plagued by these things sitting rather high on the overall Secrets' list. That's why you just have to take things in overall context for perspective. And note who the sponsors of the site are as well, like Denon is for Secrets. Can't be ignored.

Secrets has plenty of MB plagued players sitting in the 90's, so go figure, I guess.

example: Look at how high the Denon 5900's score still is to this day. Eveyrone knows what a MB plagued nightmare that player still is. How many firmwares have been put out for the 5900 as of this day, and the MB STILL isn't fixed?

The bulk of the blame does go to Faroudja for this, but the end result is: The Denon 5900 is a macroblocked plagued nightmare that isn't vastly improved upon from the $200 Faroudja based Zenith 318. And look at the score anyways.

It's almost mandatory for a 5900 owner to have spend the extra money towards an SDI mod and/or an external video processor to get the complete product that they should have had to begin with, considering how much the 5900 cost.

Another easy example: Another Denon player, like the 1600, with a laughably high score and it makes me start scratching my head. The 1600 was mediocre, at best.

You can't ignore things like that, either. It's not an accusation, just an observation that one has to take into consideration and I most certainly have.

Fairly or unfairly, there's going to be a perception issue on ANY test sight or publication that tests their own sponsors' products. You have to watch out for it and take into consideration. Up or down. Only firsthand experience can truly check and balance all of this out.

I'm not implying anything or accusing Kris or anyone, but it's simply a fact of life that you can't throw out and ignore. Take it FWIW. YMMV. etc. etc.

My personal list goes like this:

OUT OF BOX
VIDEO:
1.) Denon 5910
2.) Onkyo 1000
_______________________________________ ______
3.) Pioneer 59
4.) Denon 3910

AUDIO:
1.) Onkyo 1000
2.) Denon 5910
areadvd.de did a head to head with the new Denon 5910 and the Integra/Onkyo beat it out on audio. Call it a tie between the two and the jury is still out if nothing else.
_______________________________________ ______
3.) Pioneer 59
4.) Denon 3910

OVERALL:
1.) Denon 5910
2.) Onkyo 1000
_______________________________________ _______
3.) Pioneer 59
4.) Denon 3910

I drew the lines deliberately to denote a tier and class difference.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #68 on: 11 May 2005, 02:15 pm »
This Onkyo SP1000 sure seems to be a super all around player. It would be nice to see some reviews on how the Onkyo 1000 stacks up against some of the modded units out there!

Ears

« Reply #69 on: 11 May 2005, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: budyog
This Onkyo SP1000 sure seems to be a super all around player. It would be nice to see some reviews on how the Onkyo 1000 stacks up against some of the modded units out there!

Don't know of any modded player review comparisons ...but my RAM modified Philips 963sa and Modwright signature 9000 es with all options were both sold after owning the 1000 for less than a month :wink:

I would say the Modwright had a touch better redbook playback but no advantage for sa-cd at all....and no dvd-a.

And of course video was not in the same area code.

Ears

« Reply #70 on: 3 Nov 2005, 06:59 pm »
AVS member Mimason just compared his Onkyo SP1000 used with his I-Scan HD+ processor vs using it direct via 720p hdmi to his Sony hs-51 and preferes the Onkyo 1000 on its own. :o

levesque

« Reply #71 on: 4 Nov 2005, 10:49 pm »
Here's the thread (Mimason was talking with me):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=596643&highlight=79AVI

And the quote:

"Yep. Who would have ever though that my Sony 975/HD+ combo using 480i HDMI looks better than using a SP1000 with a HD+. I will keep an eye on the 79avi when they start shipping."

And

"I feel the deinterlacing of the HD+ is better than the SP1000 even though they are both SI504. I ultimately want to do what Lev is doing with a 79avi to be future ready for other processor/scalers. The Sony has some issue with it that are not optimal. I think the 79 will be what I want. "

Nice try.  :lol:

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #72 on: 4 Nov 2005, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: levesque
Here's the thread (Mimason was talking with me):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=596643&highlight=79AVI

And the quote:

"Yep. Who would have ever though that my Sony 975/HD+ combo using 480i HDMI looks better than using a SP1000 with a HD+. I will keep an eye on the 79avi when they start shipping."

And

"I feel the deinterlacing of the HD+ is better than the SP1000 even though they are both SI504. I ultimately want to do what Lev is doing with a 79avi to be future ready for other processor/scalers. The Sony has some issue with it that are not optimal. I think the 79 will be what I want. "

Nice try ...

It's no secret that the SIL504 is getting long in the tooth. Depending on who you talk to, it's great for film sources and "ok" for video sources.

I thought that you were on the Denon 5910 bandwagon. You sure seem to change players a lot!

In the past year and a half, I've watched you here and on several other forums go from being a champion of the following:

Zenith 318  - where you told us this was the best all in one solution you'd ever seen back then.

Pioneer 59avi

Pioneer 59 + Iscan HD+

Denon 5910- You were writing praise and propoganda at least here and at AVS for this long before it hit the streets as if the Almighty Messiah of DVD players were guaranteed to be upon us.

And now the Pioneer 79avi is your new darling to champion.  

And of course, somehow, all of these end up "being better than the Onkyo 1000" whenever you write commentary.

When, and where, did you ever demo an Onkyo 1000?

I'd like to see you elaborate on this post from AVS, please:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599408

Post 5:

Quote from: Levesque
The 79AVi is already out in Canada, so it should be available pretty soon in the US.

For half the price of the SP1000, and after using both, I can tell you the 79AVi is the way to go.

Please elaborate and expand. Thanks.

It's hard to keep up with you! You're constantly changing and championing new players!
 :lol:

Ears

« Reply #73 on: 4 Nov 2005, 11:14 pm »
No levesque....you pain...thats not the thread.....you were never even in the thread....and Mimason likes the 1000 direct better than when ran through the I-scan.......period.

Ears

« Reply #74 on: 4 Nov 2005, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: Q-BanditZ
Please elaborate and expand. Thanks.

It's hard to keep up with you! You're constantly changing and championing new players!
 :lol:

Yep....last I knew Levesque was saying he liked the Zenith 318 better than the Pioneer 59avi.....but its his story...he can tell it however he wants :lol:

Ears

« Reply #75 on: 4 Nov 2005, 11:46 pm »
After using both Levesque :nono:
You said way back that you saw an SP1000 at a dealer for a few minutes of video...no audio....and you never auditioned one......so you have no comparison period of video or audio.....and please quit posting childish lies all over the internet.....and grow up.......please.

Ears

« Reply #76 on: 5 Nov 2005, 12:03 am »
Here is Mimasons exact quote...

"Iv'e AB'd recalibrating each time component 480i>I scan HD+ 720p HDMI>PJ and 720p from the SP1000 to the pj...and to me the SP1000 hdmi 720P is the way to go of the two.
This means to me that being in the digital domain with the SP1000 is better than the superior scaling of the HD+ via its analog connection."

This was a compaparison that was requested by me...which Mimason kindly took the time to do.

Levesque...maybe next time....you will ask before trying to discount what I posted  :nono: .....but knowing your internet  posting ways.....probably not.

budyog

« Reply #77 on: 5 Nov 2005, 01:37 am »
I wish I could say a lot more about the video aspect of the 1000, but I bought it mostly for a good universal player for cd/dvd-a and SACD. I do not own any SACDs yet, but plan on it. But I just have to say for a cd player, this unit keeps amazing me everytime I put in a cd. The imaging, clearity, dynamics and smoothness of operation just keep blowing me away. It is so hard to pull away from listening that this could be the 1st piece of equipment that could lead to a divorce (just kidding). When I spend $3500 on speakers, $3000 on preamp and amp, $800 on AC conditioning, I expected to spend $1500 on the source unit. Even if I only used it for cd. It cracks me up when people are spending that kind of money on speaks, amps, pre, etc, that they can't even think about spending $1500 on a source. I love this player and I have said this hear before. It is worth every penny and knowing what I know now about it, I would have spent the $2000 retail. I plan on using more of the features in the near future when I change the tv setup. If you are considering a universal player, do yourself a favor and consider the 1000.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #78 on: 5 Nov 2005, 02:20 am »
Quote from: budyog
I wish I could say a lot more about the video aspect of the 1000, but I bought it mostly for a good universal player for cd/dvd-a and SACD. I do not own any SACDs yet, but plan on it. But I just have to say for a cd player, this unit keeps amazing me everytime I put in a cd. The imaging, clearity, dynamics and smoothness of operation just keep blowing me away. It is so hard to pull away from listening that this could be the 1st piece of equipment that could lead to a divorce (just kidding). When I sp ...

I agree with you 100 pereent. I've owned this unit for a year now, and I don't exaggerate at all when I say: Everytime I watch a movie with it or listen to any music, whether it be CD, SACD, or DVD-A...it's almost like the first time all over again.

Amazing!  8)

budyog

« Reply #79 on: 5 Nov 2005, 04:20 pm »
This is from the "multichannel thread"
In Reply to: Stereophile & The Absolute Sound Critiques of DVD Players posted by Welly Wu on July 03, 2004 at 18:53:27:

> have read in both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound
> that the editors think DVD players do not make for outstanding
> Compact Disc players in general for technical reasons. Might
> I inquire specifically what those technical reasons are? What is it
> specifically that John Atkinson is talking about?

The problem is that the master clock frequencies required by MPEG
video decoding are veryy different from that required for CD playback.
So, with the majority of the DVD players I have examined, their
noise floors when playing back CDs are contaminated with enharmonic
rubbish. In the worst case, this reduced dynamic range to less than
14 bits' worth, ie, audible degradation.

I find this very hard to believe with the advancements in this feild. This may have been true several years ago, but I find it unlikly today. I also never ever thought I would own an Onkyo product in my system, and I also believe that they put vast amount of resources in the 1000 and came up with a superb universal player. For Redbook and all other formats. I do not hear any limitations in dynamics or audible degradation. Every redbook cd I play I hear something I have never heard before.
I do beleive that you can have a all in one player that sounds as good as seperates. Heck, I removed a very good DAC from my system because the DAC in the 1000 is better.
I know some people say, just buy a cheap player and get a good DAC, I did that and have realised that my system was suffering and it was due to my begining piece of equipment. My source player. This 1000 made my whole system rise many steps above anytrhing else I have ever replaced something with. I have a WHOLE new system.

I keep asking, Any AC members in Minneapolis/St. Paul?