Cutting the Cable Cord

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #80 on: 25 May 2014, 01:40 am »
I have a decent extended basic cable package. (Got to have BBC America.) But I find I consistently watch five or six channels (the networks, BBC, and HGTV). So much of the rest seems like a waste of time. I certainly don't feel like it's worth $100 a month or whatever it costs. Do any of you cord cutters feels like you've had to sacrifice something to leave the standard cable fare behind?
You and I feel the same way. Although my "gotta have channel" is Velocity.
Add that to the networks and HGTV, and the wife and I would be happy.

(oh...forget about the kids and their channels though)  :roll:  :duh:

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #81 on: 25 May 2014, 11:14 am »
I have a silly question on this "Cutting the Cable Cord".
How are you getting your internet access? The reason I ask, I'm about to move back into the U.S., Dayton, Ohio to be exact, and if you're not using dial-up connection or a 4G connection wouldn't you need to use the cable companies cable connection for fast internet speed? If a lot of people start cutting the TV out of their cable service aren't the cable companies just going to jack up you internet connection rate and limit the amount you can download? I mean they have to make their profit some how.
This question is meant more for my education not to be a smart-alack reply.

Phil A

« Reply #82 on: 25 May 2014, 11:51 am »
How are you getting your internet access? The reason I ask, I'm about to move back into the U.S., Dayton, Ohio to be exact, and if you're not using dial-up connection or a 4G connection wouldn't you need to use the cable companies cable connection for fast internet speed? If a lot of people start cutting the TV out of their cable service aren't the cable companies just going to jack up you internet connection rate and limit the amount you can download? I mean they have to make their profit some how.

Yes - I use the cable company's high speed internet.  I have the standard high speed (for now) and not some super high speed.  There is only one provider of choice of where I live and they are not loved.  They are the worst utility/phone company I have ever dealt with (and I just moved here).  It's to be expected since there is no real competition unless I downgrade to DSL.  I get my home phone service (I use Ooma) from that connection as well.  They have plenty of people who are addicted and pay lots.  Someone told me they pay $200/month for everything and my neighbor came over with his bill just a couple of weeks back asking me what he could do - $280 month, which includes ultra fast internet and the NBA package.

Yes I do expect rate increases over time.  That's probably part of the reasoning that Comcast bought NBC.  There's an article I posted earlier in this thread about what is happening over time.  As soon as internet speeds get faster and more reliable and some content providers do their broadcasts over the web cable companies will lose customers.

Phil A

« Reply #83 on: 25 May 2014, 11:55 am »

Here's a couple of the earlier posted articles:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/espn-may-pull-its-finger-out-of-the-internet-tv-dam-incite-a-flood-of-change/#!Qnrge
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2013/10/14/cable-tv-price-hikes-unsustainable/

Early B.

« Reply #84 on: 25 May 2014, 11:57 am »

Yes. When you unbundle services, the prices for each individual service increases. That's not unique to the cable industry. As Phil A indicated, the real issue is lack of competition which keeps prices high. In my area, there are only two major cable providers and they both have similar rates and packages for TV, phone, and internet.

ctviggen

« Reply #85 on: 25 May 2014, 01:39 pm »
I find Comcast's prices to be incredibly expensive.  We were paying $160/month for the lowest "digital" service and internet access.  No premier movie services or anything else.   We moved to an area with Charter, and we're paying about $50 less per month for similar services, although we do have slightly fewer HD channels for some reason.

fredgarvin

« Reply #86 on: 26 May 2014, 05:15 pm »

Our high speed comes over the phone line. $80 a month with phone service as well, which we don't use of course.  :lol:

We stream our TV and pay Netflix 7.99 a month. The only real shortcomings are big sporting events. Some stream free, but most go through a pay wall these days. To add TV service, such as cable, would be an additional $100 a month.

WireNut

« Reply #87 on: 26 May 2014, 09:38 pm »

We stream our TV and pay Netflix 7.99 a month.

Looks like I'm going to go buy a ClearStream 2V antenna to hook up to my old TV and stop paying for my local channels on cable.
Hope it works......

Phil A

« Reply #88 on: 27 May 2014, 12:36 am »
Looks like I'm going to go buy a ClearStream 2V antenna to hook up to my old TV and stop paying for my local channels on cable.
Hope it works......

www.antennaweb.org can show you the direction of your local stations and some guidance on the type of antennae that will work

WireNut

« Reply #89 on: 9 Jun 2014, 12:17 am »
I did it, I finally did it and couldn't be happier. I had basic cable thru Time Warner that gave me 6 local channels and about 20 shopping channels for $25.00 a month. What a waste. Today I bought a Clearstream 2V indoor/outdoor antenna, which I now have installed in my living room.
I now have 38 channels including all my local channels, and I also have METV which Time Warner only carry's on their higher tier level.
My 38 channels are all free and look beautiful  :thankyou:

Picture quality is better than I was getting from TWC and signal strength and quality strength is at 100% for 38 channels.

I also now have a Roku 1, with netflix and Qello concerts installed. I now have more to watch than I ever have and i'm spending less and enjoying more   :dance:

Thank you all for this thread  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #90 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:42 am »
This DVR just hit the market. Looks very interesting but why in the world they decided to forgo an HDMI connection is beyond me.

http://www.tablotv.com/

Phil A

Early B.

« Reply #92 on: 30 Jun 2014, 10:53 pm »
Well it's official that Aereo has lost its case - http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/25/aereo-loses-in-supreme-court-deemed-illegal/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D493185

Since Aereo is no longer available, I'm searching for alternatives to access local channels. The first option is an antenna, but I would need to pay someone to mount it on my roof. 

Phil A

« Reply #93 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:34 am »
Since Aereo is no longer available, I'm searching for alternatives to access local channels. The first option is an antenna, but I would need to pay someone to mount it on my roof.

Have you visited antennaweb.org?  It will give general guidance on the type of antenna and direction.  In the current place (and the former one too), I have an attic antenna with a preamp and it gets me all I need.  Of course I had pre-wiring done to go from the attic all over.

It depends on your proximity to and what is in between (e.g. flat terrain) you and the stations

Doublej

« Reply #94 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:42 am »
If you have AAA you can get a relatively cheap Direct TV subscription, two year commitment. The first year is $15/month. I think the second is $25 but don't quote me.

An antenna with a Homeworx PVR is the cheapest way to go but don't expect anything fancy in terms of recording abilities or user interface from the Homeworx.

Early B.

« Reply #95 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:52 am »
Have you visited antennaweb.org?  It will give general guidance on the type of antenna and direction.  In the current place (and the former one too), I have an attic antenna with a preamp and it gets me all I need.  Of course I had pre-wiring done to go from the attic all over.

It depends on your proximity to and what is in between (e.g. flat terrain) you and the stations

With an antenna indoors, I only get 6 stations, even though the majority of the stations are clustered at just 10 miles away. I live in the suburbs close to a major city. I believe part of the problem is my house is nearly surrounded by tall trees. I had the same issues years ago when attempting to install Direct TV.

WireNut

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jul 2014, 11:06 am »
 About a month ago I installed a clearstream V2 antenna and a RCA digital tuner and was getting 38 channels.
All of a sudden two of my favorite channels (METV and WLWT) just stopped working.
I re-scanned several times and even bought a second tuner thinking mine was bad and I still can't get
METV or WLWT , they are both local for me here in cincinnati.

I can't figure out why those two channels stopped coming in. I made no changes to my antenna or digital tuner box :banghead:
Yesterday I ran my antenna outside to see if I could get them in again, No Luck.  :scratch:

DoubleJ,

Funny you mentioned Homeworx PVR, I was just looking at them online yesterday.
Their web site say's they don't support Qam, whatever that is  :scratch:

Doublej

« Reply #97 on: 1 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm »
With both over the air broadcast and satellite if you don't have a clear line of sight you are screwed. It's either raise the antenna until you do get a clear view or go to cable.

QAM refers to unencrypted cable channels that can often be received by plugging the cable into the back of an HDTV set. No QAM tuner means that you cannot record these channels on the Homeworx. Sadly it is less of an issue these days as cable providers are moving to encrypt all channels.

This could be your problem with wlwt.
http://radioinsight.com/community/topic/wlwt-ch-5-has-been-off-air-for-2-days/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #98 on: 1 Jul 2014, 01:51 pm »
One nice side benefit of having cut the cable cord - I no longer watch news programs.  Which, in turn, gives me more time to read history and watch historical documentaries.  Really, radically changes one's perspective.  Made me realize how much news programs are appropriately named - they do indeed program... YOU.   Fox or MSNBC, does not matter, both are created to sell you an ideology that you already agree with (left or right), and to get/keep your eyeballs on the screen.  And nothing keeps you tuned-in like the latest "outrage", whatever that happens to be on that day/week.

Man am I glad all that detritus was just swept away once I cut the cable cord.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #99 on: 1 Jul 2014, 02:58 pm »
Two years ago I got fed -up with Satellite TV and cancelled.  I  bought antenna from monoprice and get all local TV except ABC, plus several great movie, educational, PBS stations and HD is as good as I had with Sat.. My then internet was too slow so I got a fast cable internet connection for $45 month, 20MB and can watch any netfix, amazon HD without buffering problems.

The only place Ive been hurt was SPORTS. I still able to watch most but I missed a few college football games. I can follow the games on ESPN but I cant watch the real time video of the games.

Should anyone know or hear of a way to watch ESPN college football please let me know!