mcgsxr's basement build

mcgsxr

mcgsxr's basement build
« on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:59 pm »
I had started a couple of threads looking for insights about builds, and for PJ suggestions.

I will use this thread to document the "progress" along the way.  The final pics will include whatever HT I can afford after all this!

So far, I have all my service providers lined up, and a rough schedule in place.  I will act as the GC, and do some light work, but will have pro's do most of this due to work and family constraints.

So far, the plumbers came and moved the bathroom rough in to the other end of the space, and added a shower drain.  They were very quick and did good work.  One of them is my cousin's husband, so he HAS to do good work for me, as I will continue to see him several times a year!

Here are some before pics.

Here are some WIP pics.

Here are some pics of the end of the day Saturday.  Watching concrete dry is SO entertaining!

Next steps include framing starting in 2 weeks, and what I dread - removing everything from the basement into half my double garage, and parking one of my cars outside.  I love parking indoors, and hate scraping snow off my car!

I will remove the pony panel seen in these pics, and it will be relocated to the utility room next to the media closet, to be the heart of my dedicated lines for the HT.  We are removing all the pink insulation and vapour barrier and spray foaming all exterior walls.  I will do Roxul safe n sound in the ceiling and interior walls too.

Oh, and I am sure I will cry when I have to take the pool table apart and store it for 6 weeks too!

Ah well, all in the name of "my" own bathroom, pool playing and HT space.

mclsound

Re: mcgsxr's basement build
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2013, 02:16 pm »
Hi Mark
How big are you going?I did mine(13.5x22) a few years back and tried tons of gear in the last 6yrs.PM me if you have any questions you dont want public.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2013, 02:43 pm »
The total basement footprint is 25x36or so.  Total finished area will be 24x24, plus unfinished utility space of 25x13 or so.  With a 5x8 bathroom, and a staircase that enters the basement, the effective open space down there is around 20x24. 

The 4.5x9 foot pool table and associated playing space eats a lot of that.

Dedicated family room area of around 12x14, but will be completely open to the entire 20x24. 

Likely HT system hung on walls, and floorstanding separate 2 channel.  But construction budget will dictate what comes first.

PM sent, thanks!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:44 pm »
Thanks for the thread Mark, We'll be watching with interest.  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2013, 07:23 pm »
As an update, I suffered a financial setback when my furnace died.  As it is 17 years old, I don't feel it owed me much.  Swapping it out along with the AC unit this week.

On the upside, I discovered a previously unknown cavity behind a wall in the basement.  We have a bump out on the back of the house where my fireplace is, so it is replicated downstairs.  I bashed open a hole in the drywall in that one wall in the basement (prior owner put up 1 wall for a PJ, but I am removing all of it to spray foam the entire basement etc) and can see it is roughly 40 inches wide, and 20 inches deep, right in the middle of the wall I intend to hang my display on.

I am currently considering how I might use that space for a DIY sub using the 2 12 inch woofers I have around since I sold off the rest of my OB 2 channel system.  There is also a 500w Dayton sub amp just sitting around.  Perhaps a pair of 3 cubic foot ported subs hiding in that space, firing through a speaker cloth covered reveal area?

:eyebrows:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2013, 07:41 pm »
Think: Infinite baffle.  8)

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:14 pm »
IB possible, but not sure the space is large enough, it is only about 30cubic feet total.

I'll review the VAS implications. 

I'd have to buy new subs though. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:21 pm »
10x the combined VAS of all the drivers (or more) is "perfect", although I've heard that at least 4x is considered "acceptable".
Mine is right at 4x.

hayden

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2013, 09:48 pm »
Perfect space for two of these:

http://store.ficaraudio.com/ib318/

This system would be "stealth" and provide a good amount of quality bass.

JP

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:42 pm »
All good ideas, and attractive ones too.

But, after careful consideration, I am going to go with the cheapest solution - what I already own.  I will DIY a pair of 12inch ported subs sharing the 500w, and recess them into that foundation bump out.

In front of it, will go the wall the display will hang on.  I will cut in a grill area to let the boom out.

More once the HVAC is done, and the next construction phases are underway.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:43 am »
First up is a pic of the new (and budget damaging) HVAC setup.  High efficiency modulating furnace with intelligent thermostat, and a 4 inch filter setup.  Also new AC, but not shown.  From a basement build perspective, I will have great comfort drywalling the ceiling with this work done, and the AC cables were swapped around to the back of the furnace (ie no longer on the finished side of the basement) so they will not interfere with a planned built in.

Next, the fruits of a long weekend of moving out goods, and stripping out electrical in prep for framing this Thursday.  You can see in the one pic where the pony panel used to be, it will be installed in the utility side of the basement, and will feed the dedicated AC lines for the HT.

Below is a pic where I busted through the wall and discovered the "recess" in the foundation.  I will get a better sense of the size once that wall is down on Thursday.

Lastly. here is a growing pile that will go into the dumpster Thursday.

Oh, and there is also my inspector, our cat Bear.  He's none too pleased with all the noise during his daytime naps, but came down to review how I was making out.

Trismos

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2013, 12:47 am »
Nice. Keep it coming !

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:02 am »
Is the HVAC audiophile approved for <30 dB sound output?  :icon_twisted: :P

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:19 am »
 :green: audiophile approved

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:32 pm »
Nice - no, I did not pop for the Furutech or Oyaide furnace upgrades, but it is exceedingly quiet compared to the outgoing unit.   :lol:

They have set the fan to run constantly on low, and when we were doing the final inspection and they told me it was running, I literally had to touch it to believe them.  When it runs full blast it can be heard, but compared to the last one (with a bad blower motor), it is very quiet.

More importantly, it will live behind a sealed wall in my utility space, and because all the gear in there vents to the outside world, I can forgo any vents between the two rooms, and use door sweeps on the 2 doors into the utility room.

Sure, there is still HVAC trunk running through the basement, and there will be 3 vents heating and cooling the space, but the furnace itself won't be loud.

The HVAC system will continue to allow pool and music noise to travel throughout the house as before, but I will insulate the trunk, so it may be somewhat less.

I am not looking to build a soundproof room or anything, just trying to ensure the simple and affordable stuff gets done.

Pics after Thursday when the exterior framing is done.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:00 pm »
Some WIP pics, they are still at it down there.

Along the vein of taking pics of trucks dropping off speakers, here is the bin full of my demo matierals!

Next up some clean up around the stairs into the basement.  Builder did an OK job of making sure there were stairs into the basement, my guys today helped me sort out some issues so that the stairs will remain solid for life.  Added a knee wall below the landing to support it much better.  Will eventually install a removable railing of some kind, to keep folks (my kids or drunk friends!) from falling down through there.

Here is a pic of the main wall leading to the bathroom.

Bathroom framed in.

Back wall in.  I will get a closeup of that foundation recess I have commented on later today.

More later.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:27 pm »
Build pics are great, thanks for sharing Mark!
I see in the last pic that one of your 2x4s has about a 25" spacing.  :o

MaxCast

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
Aahh, I remember the days...
Well worth the effort tho.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:35 pm »
Bob, the "wide spot" with missing studs is my bump out area. 

I asked to just have top and bottom plates installed across it, but needed to do one stud temporarily.

Once sub solution sorted out, more studs to be added. 

That is one area I will document this evening.

Was no fun humping out the demo materials to the bin the past few days, and this AM moving in 200 2x4!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm »
Ooohhhh gotcha. Understood.

Carrying the materials (and waste) is generally the worst part of the job. A couple years ago I carried almost 1000' of flooring up a flight of stairs for my remodel. After a while, the boxes felt like they were 200 pounds each.