Some comments on the + upgrade to my FB1's

b5pt9

Some comments on the + upgrade to my FB1's
« on: 5 Mar 2007, 04:10 am »
Well after I smoked my FB1 bass drivers by plugging in my tube buffer at the wrong time :duh:, I decided to do the + upgrade (x-overs, soft dome tweeters and foam changeout) along with the bass driver replacement.  Bryston was very helpful - I had all the parts within 3 weeks or so, shipped direct from PMC in California to my door in Alberta.

Install: Super-easy, 3mm allen key and phillips screwdriver is all that is necessary.  The only small hiccup was the new tweeters were 0.010" larger diameter than original, necessitating some slight sanding of the tweeter hole to provide clearance.  Hint: be careful tightening the bolts to seat the tweeter, as the surface of the tweeter can deform quite easily around the bolt holes.  I deformed one a very slight amount, but no worse than the factory installation on my TB2's by comparison.

Sound: Awesome.  Highly recommend this, and I don't have golden ears by any means.  The new tweeter and x-over results in better midrange and voice reproduction, very smooth and nice.  The instructions recommend 14hrs to burn in - mine seemed to come in nicely by 10 hours or so.  Bonus: Bass is surprisingly affected by the foam revision.  More presence, even tending toward boomy compared to the original response, but personally I really like it.

Overall this has vastly improved the speaker, top to bottom.  Total cost was $360 Cdn for the bass drivers and $900 for the + upgrade.