Would you use a Grado on a Nottingham? ?

Hantra

« on: 12 Jun 2003, 12:23 am »
All:

I found a smooth deal on a Grado Ref Platinum.  I just wonder if it may be too sweet, and warm when matched with the Nott.

For $100 more, would you go with a Golring 1042?

I don't know what to do.  I have an old Ortofon now that's good, but the suspension has had it I think. . .

Thx!

B

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2003, 12:33 am »
I have had the Goldring 1042 before and it is good but nothing spectacular.  I have got to think that Grado is on par, but maybe it is as you suggest, too warm for the Nott.  Don't know, haven't heard the Nott before.  Heard good things about Ortofon.  Can it be redone or is it not worth it?

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:25 am »
I recently picked up the Grado statement platinum and don't find it overly warm. It does have a nice lush midrange but the top end is very clean and open. Since it's not installed in a Nottingham this may not be relevant but it doesn't sound warm in a somewhat modified MMF-5.

I think the main difference between the ref and the statement series is the electrical parameters. The statement is electrically similar to MC cartridges with low impedance, low voltage (.2mV). From what I have read the statement series is cleaner on the top end and less sensative to hum. Of course since the output is low you need more gain and have much increased opportunity for noise.  :( The good part is that the price is the same.

The Grado replaced the Goldring 1012GX that was supplied with the table. I know the 1042 is supposed to be much better than the 1012, which is a good thing.

This may or may not help, just kinda rambling. :)

Mike

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:36 am »
Mike, did the Grado kill the Goldring though?

I am close to buying this one.  Just wanna make sure. .

How long will it take to break it in?

Thx!

B

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:43 am »
Just so you guys know, Klaus has an "IN" on rebuilt cartridges.

You can get VERY expensive cartridges rebuilt that are not very expensive.

You should give him a call. 317-299-5578

Also 2Juki on audiogon has a good line on things in Hong Kong.  he's another great contact for all things new.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2003, 03:05 am »
Hantra,

I like it much better than the Goldring and it's getting better every day. I don't know how it would compare to the Goldring 1042 as the 1042 is supposed to be considerably better than the 1012 I have. Also, my Goldring has suffered a 2db (near as I can tell) channel imbalance since day one. :( I am very happy with the Grado.

As for break in, I've only had it for about a week, so it's nowhere near broken in. I estimate I have about 10-12 hours on it so far. I've been trying to play at least two albums a day for the past week and it's much improved. It had almost no bass at first but that's starting to come around nicely. I figure 20-40 hours for the suspension to break in, perhaps more.

Marbles makes a good point. There is no reason a rebuilt cartridge can't sound as good as a new one if done properly. Talking to Klaus is always a pleasure and he won't steer you wrong.

Mike

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2003, 10:52 pm »
Marbles, do you have one like this?

I am sending one in to have him rebuild for me. . .

B

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2003, 11:01 pm »
I have a rebuilt Symphonic Line RG8  The new ones are $8,000 in Germany, $5000 from Klaus..........

The RG8 is a Van Den Hul Grasshopper that is modded to Rolf Gemein's (Symphonic Line) spec's.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2003, 11:09 pm »
Holy Chit Rob, you spent 5G's on a cart?!

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2003, 11:29 pm »
No , I did not, that would be the new price.....

I bought mine rebuilt........ :wink: