Dagogo SS 9.5 review

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
Dagogo SS 9.5 review
« on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:51 pm »
https://www.dagogo.com/salk-sound-ss9-5-speaker-review/

Nicely done, Jim & crew! I still think the MA8900 is a perfect amp for them! :)

jsalk

Re: Dagogo SS 9.5 review
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2021, 02:18 pm »
Wow, you are fast!  This was just posted yesterday.

Thanks to Doug Schroeder for taking the time to thoroughly review the SS9.5's and thanks to Constantine Soo of Dagogo for posting it.  His comments about binding posts were slightly misleading in that we can easily do bi-wire or bi-amp binding posts.  But that is a very minor quibble.

- Jim

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2021, 02:32 pm »
Congrats on the review Jim!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2021, 05:32 pm »
I like Doug and his honesty in reviewing. I would have expected some higher level competitors to be mentioned for comparison given the performance of these. I'd like to get a pair someday.

NHSkier

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2021, 12:04 am »
Yeah, this wasn’t my favorite review. He spent almost as much time discussing wiring (internal, connections, binding posts, etc.) as he did discussing how the speakers sounded!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2021, 12:58 am »
Yeah, this wasn’t my favorite review. He spent almost as much time discussing wiring (internal, connections, binding posts, etc.) as he did discussing how the speakers sounded!

Totally agree.  I would have liked to see more details about the sound.  That should be first and foremost in any review.  Reviews like this always make me suspicious.  Although I have heard some of the SS models and they are fabulous.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2021, 07:48 am »
If you filter out the parts of the review that are not directly related to the sound, it's clear that he really liked the SS 9.5's and the tweakability of the design. That's all that really matters to me. These speakers are on my short list when I return from India in a few years.

owlsalum1

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2021, 03:40 pm »
Talk about a convoluted review. I lost patience with Doug's obsession with the design, drivers etc. and the Vapor Audio diversion was just wasted word count. Skipping to the end when he finally gets around to writing something about the sonics, nice review of the SS 9.5s. Too much for my space, I love my SS 7Ms, but I can still dream about the 9.5s.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2021, 04:47 am »
Hi Guys,

I read the review and I agree with the comments as I also found it quite convoluted.  It seemed like he wanted to pad it out with extra bits and pieces.  At the end of the day if your want fancy internal wiring and boutique capacitors Jim will assist.

I have a pair of HT3's and things have moved on over the years but I still thoroughly enjoy them.

Cheers Rod

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2021, 09:41 am »
I never much cared for Doug’s review style.

lewdogg

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2021, 12:52 pm »
Totally agree.  I would have liked to see more details about the sound.  That should be first and foremost in any review.  Reviews like this always make me suspicious.  Although I have heard some of the SS models and they are fabulous.

I agree. I didn't get much out of the review because I didn't hear many impressions on the sound. Obviously anything Jim makes is going to sound great, but I would have liked to hear more about the reviewer's thoughts on that subject.

Regardless, thanks for the reviewer's time to release the piece.

DEP14

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2021, 12:46 am »
Unsurprisingly he liked them.

However, I’ll take a nice Red Wine Vinaigrette with my word salad please.

Additionally, I’ll take a full helping of well recorded Rock and Roll with my speakers also.