BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

terrycym

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #860 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:56 am »
Not sure on that one Terry - Mike Pickett question. 

James

Sorry James, wrong word, should have said "Trigger"
Connect the BDP & BDA trigger jacks together - it's in the manual, yes?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #861 on: 22 Jun 2011, 10:25 am »
Sorry James, wrong word, should have said "Trigger"
Connect the BDP & BDA trigger jacks together - it's in the manual, yes?

Correct

James

jjc1

« Reply #862 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:10 pm »
I did use a stopwatch when I was testing the drives. The SSD took about 90 seconds to load 200GB, the HDD took almost twice that. Since the drives contain FLAC files with medium compression, that is a lot of files to load - I believe there are about 550 CD's on the drives.

Hooking up a larger drive and leaving the BDP-1 on wouldn't be a bad thing to do and it shouldn't hurt the display. I have my display set so that it is only on for a few seconds when changing tracks.
  How do you set the bdp1 to turn off the display?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #863 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:37 pm »
  How do you set the bdp1 to turn off the display?

DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS & AUTO SHUTOFF
To bring up a brightness and auto shutoff time delay menu, press the UP and LEFT menu navigation buttons in rapid succession. Use the UP and DOWN buttons to switch between setting the brightness (from 1 to 4) and the time delay (from always on, 10 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc.) using the LEFT & RIGHT buttons. The menu will dissappear approx. 10 seconds after the last button press.

jjc1

« Reply #864 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm »
DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS & AUTO SHUTOFF
To bring up a brightness and auto shutoff time delay menu, press the UP and LEFT menu navigation buttons in rapid succession. Use the UP and DOWN buttons to switch between setting the brightness (from 1 to 4) and the time delay (from always on, 10 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc.) using the LEFT & RIGHT buttons. The menu will dissappear approx. 10 seconds after the last button press.

Thanks James.

jjc1

« Reply #865 on: 23 Jun 2011, 06:56 pm »
I recall a discussion on this board where James said that USB 3.0 was not required because 2.0 was fast enough for transfer of music files.  I agree but it may have been faster for updating the file index for the BDP-1 but we will not know that because the BDP-1 uses the 2.0 protocol.  As for SSDs, they offer the advantage of no physical noise and speed.  Today, most external SSDs are USB 3.0 protocol and that requires a different connector on the SSD end.  The only cables currently available are the cheap, made in China variety.  Is that "good enough"?  I have no idea, but I do know that as soon as an "audiophile quality" USB 3.0 cable is available from one of the known high quality cable manufacturers, I will try it. 

Tony
   Tony, have you found any manufacturers yet that offer a high quality USB 3 cable?  I have neot come across any myself.

BrysTony

« Reply #866 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:32 pm »
   Tony, have you found any manufacturers yet that offer a high quality USB 3 cable?  I have neot come across any myself.

I look around periodically but I have not seen any USB 3 cables. 

Tony

SHV

« Reply #867 on: 23 Jun 2011, 08:38 pm »
I looked at two of my "cable" sites, Markertek.com and BlueJean and both have USB3 cables.  I don't think that these cables are cryogenic or have uni-directional electron flow but are still likely to be high quality.

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #868 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:25 pm »
I looked at two of my "cable" sites, Markertek.com and BlueJean and both have USB3 cables.  I don't think that these cables are cryogenic or have uni-directional electron flow but are still likely to be high quality.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks.  Both of those sites offer cables similar to what I am using.  BlueJeans cable says theirs are made in America and that is a plus.  Most are made in China.  All of their offerings are under $15 and many say that no improvement will be heard using more exotic data cables.  I have not bought into that yet and am hoping for a USB 3.0 cable offering from the likes of Kimber, Nordost, Audioquest, etc.  I contacted some of them and such cables are on the drawing board but nothing for sale yet.
Tony

SHV

« Reply #869 on: 24 Jun 2011, 05:02 am »
"cable offering from the likes of Kimber, Nordost, Audioquest, etc. "
Don't want to beat a dead horse but price may not equal quality or performance.  About 6 years ago a friend gave me some demo cables from a going out of  business high end store.  The most expensive interconnect, when taken apart, had "cold' solder joins and another expensive cable with a "large box" on it was also less than impressive when the sealed box was opened with a hack saw.  In side was mostly empty space but several low value cheap resistors were connected parallel to the signal path and a cap was attached in a manner that performed no electrical function with the known physics of our universe.

Steve

terrycym

« Reply #870 on: 24 Jun 2011, 08:48 am »
"cable offering from the likes of Kimber, Nordost, Audioquest, etc. "
 a cap was attached in a manner that performed no electrical function with the known physics of our universe.

but hi-fi design does not conform to the usual physics laws of the Universe!
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74540

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #871 on: 24 Jun 2011, 09:48 am »
I look around periodically but I have not seen any USB 3 cables. 

Tony

Hi Tony

May I ask why you are looking for a USB 3 cable - to use with the BDP-1?

James

jjc1

« Reply #872 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:16 pm »

Hi Tony

James
Hi James. Yes we are looking for a high end cable maufacturer that makes a cable with a Micro B connection for the SEagate GOFLEX hard drive which we use with the BDP1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #873 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:36 pm »
Hi James. Yes we are looking for a high end cable maufacturer that makes a cable with a Micro B connection for the SEagate GOFLEX hard drive which we use with the BDP1.

OK - let me know how that plays out - USB 2 is more than enough for the BDP-1 in terms of moving digital data - USB 3 would really only apply when really high speed data transfer is required like in video applications.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #874 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:50 pm »

Hi Tony

James

James,
I am using an OCZ Enyo SSD (http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-enyo-usb-3-0-portable-solid-state-drive.html) with the BDP-1.  I understand that the USB 3.0 speed is not required but I like the solid state drives and it seems that most SSDs if not all are now USB 3.0.  This particular drive has performed flawlessly for about 7 months now; however, I am using it with a $12 cable made in China and would like to see if a better cable would make any difference in sound. 
Best Regards,
Tony

skunark

« Reply #875 on: 25 Jun 2011, 06:20 pm »
Please do realize that there HDD only has a data representation of the music.  It's not at all influenced by jitter like you would see with a USB dac.   The file is read into memory where it's converted to a raw PCM and then written to the sound card.  At that point, jitter, noise, etc will come into play.   

Not all USB cables are made the same, the one that came with your HDD should be used as it meets the any unique requirements that the manufacturer selected.  Not all USB cables will meet those standards. 

terrycym

« Reply #876 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:59 am »
Locus Design do these if you want high quality cables

Davesworld

« Reply #877 on: 26 Jun 2011, 09:02 am »
As far as unidirectional cabling which is mentioned, I respond thus:

Why would one use a unidirectional cable (no such thing really unless it is made of semiconductor material) on a bus (usb) that is NOT unidirectional?

Electrons and holes will flow equally well through a conductor in both directions. Electrons flow from negative to positive and holes which are equal in strength flow from positive to negative. In either case they WILL take the path of least resistance. Cable construction certainly can have ideal frequency ranges due to things such as capacitance and inductance as well as impedance and certainly do have a possibility of affecting things audibly (not to mention exotic speaker cables which blew up some amps final stages) but only a semiconductor or tube can have unidirectional flow, forward biased in one direction (requiring 0.55v to 0.7v to bias depending on material) and reverse biased in the other

When free electrons move from one conductor's atom to the next, they create a hole which moves in the opposite direction with equal force. If it were possible to create a unidirectional conductor which flowed better in one direction, it would quickly cease acting as a conductor since the holes left by the free (valence) electrons thus making the atom positively charged and seeking electrons in the opposite direction would be inhibited. You'd wind up with a bunch of atoms missing free electrons in the valence and this would happen within microseconds of the music starting. Holes should NOT be confused with positrons which are the anti-matter equivalent of electrons. I'm sure some manufacturer will sell some cable in the future for 20,000 dollars per foot which claims to use positronic flow rather than electronic. Oh yeah,  and don't touch anything made of antimatter, you'll be obliterated. :lol:

I'd rather see people's efforts go more into putting pressure on music companies as it were, to lessen the amount of crappy sounding recordings which are painful instead of misleading marketing and exponential markup for cables and rocks which do nothing. When I was a young man, most of my vinyl sounded mediocre (crappy) compared to my Telarc, MFSL, Direct Disc recordings and such. It has been no different in Digital except the lack of surface noise, ticks and pops and lack of pre-post groove echo creating an artificial sense of perceived depth and "air", yup distortion and coloration. To eliminate the pre and post groove echo would have rendered a 12" recording to hold 6 minutes per side. In Analog, Reel To Reel that was not taken from vinyl was the best medium by far. I also do not forget the tubes with their microphonics and bad output transformers creating euphonic coloration but it is distortion nevertheless. One man's distortion is another man's musicality. A digital recording need not sound like crap and a 16 bit done correctly can sound wonderful. I have CD's from the eighties that sound good. The conversion to analog is where things vary so much not to mention a 16 bit recording should be properly dithered.

werd

« Reply #878 on: 26 Jun 2011, 06:21 pm »
^^^^^

Not to rain on your rant but i believe directional cable determines the side of the jacket ground. Helpful in star grounding systems.

werd

« Reply #879 on: 26 Jun 2011, 06:58 pm »
Please do realize that there HDD only has a data representation of the music.  It's not at all influenced by jitter like you would see with a USB dac.   The file is read into memory where it's converted to a raw PCM and then written to the sound card.  At that point, jitter, noise, etc will come into play.   

Not all USB cables are made the same, the one that came with your HDD should be used as it meets the any unique requirements that the manufacturer selected.  Not all USB cables will meet those standards.

So what happens you lose the soundstage in some fashion, does it get more noisy or what?