Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #540 on: 4 Aug 2022, 12:13 pm »
Hi spartana

Yes modular in the sense that service and replacement is easier but you are correct in that a swap out to a new and different part becomes much more complicated. Usually any update like that requires a complete rework of the software and integration with the other parts in the product. Sometimes not an easy task or even doable depending on the changes made in the chips available. 
We will certainly try though to make this swap feature available as we go as best we can.

james

spartana

« Reply #541 on: 11 Aug 2022, 10:56 am »
James,

Thanks! What would be the current production time for a BR 20 without HDMI after placing an order?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #542 on: 11 Aug 2022, 11:48 am »
HI - I would say allow 8 weeks from order as we are very backordered.

best
james

spartana

« Reply #543 on: 11 Aug 2022, 12:27 pm »
HI - I would say allow 8 weeks from order as we are very backordered.

best
james

Ouch!  :cry:

On the bright side you at least seem to have the parts to build them.  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #544 on: 11 Aug 2022, 12:58 pm »
Ouch!  :cry:

On the bright side you at least seem to have the parts to build them.  :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

himitsu

« Reply #545 on: 11 Aug 2022, 09:09 pm »
Hi James

One of the dealer told me BR20 HDMI board is not even on the price list, just wondering is Bryston will not provide the board forever or just temporary out of stock, I considering buy the BR20 but I really need HDMI to connect my PS5 to my stereo system using BR20 DAC, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Folks quick question on the BR-20.

We are having issues getting HDMI boards and Pi computers (used for streaming in the BR-20).

HDMI has always been an Option on the Br-20 and less than 5% of our customers order HDMI.

What if we offered the Pi Streamer as an option as well as a lot of our customers have Streamers as well?

So the BR20 would have the option of a Streamer or HDMI or Phono and priced accordingly.

Thoughts?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #546 on: 11 Aug 2022, 09:59 pm »
Hi himitus

We are being told that HDMI boards are a least 6 months out.  They can be retrofitted if and when they materialize.

best
james

spartana

« Reply #547 on: 12 Aug 2022, 10:59 am »
Hi again,

One thing is not yet clear to me: will the new OS3 be only relevant for the streamer or also replace the BCON (?) Platform?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #548 on: 12 Aug 2022, 11:58 am »
Hi again,

One thing is not yet clear to me: will the new OS3 be only relevant for the streamer or also replace the BCON (?) Platform?

Thanks

The BCON is a separate board and has its own software.

james

spartana

« Reply #549 on: 14 Aug 2022, 08:49 am »
James, still struggeling a bit between BP26 (with external dac) and BR20. 26 is on the market since ages and still well received. BR 20 the much more modern design. Any recomendation for listeners who live in an appartment and have therefore to listen at lower levels in the evening but want still "the full experience"? I read somewhere the BP26 was much more "pushy" and wonder if that worked out well in my situation. Still I lean a bit more towards the all analogue design with external dac that can be replaced every now and then when digital technology changes.

Also: is any of the two units more / less preferable in case of less audiophile recordings? Not all my music is "audiophile". So I am asking if any of the two is more "forgiving" than the other.

Thanks

Clive197

« Reply #550 on: 14 Aug 2022, 09:18 am »
As per my PM I love my BR20 which IMHO beats the BP26 easily. I had a home demo of the BP-26 and liked it but when I tried the BR-20 I knew that was the keeper. When the BR-20 was 1st released there were a lot of issues but SQ was not one of them. Since that time the issues have been fixed with the exception of Manic Moose which still manages to give me palpitations at times but as I’ve said nothing to do with SQ.
The BR-20 along with the 4B3 is simply the very best amplifier combo I’ve ever heard and as I used to work in HiFi retail I’ve heard a few.

spartana

« Reply #551 on: 14 Aug 2022, 12:57 pm »
Clive,
Thanks. Valuable insights indeed!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #552 on: 14 Aug 2022, 01:06 pm »
BP-26 vs BR-20

Assuming you are not choosing the BP- 26 vs the BR-20 based on features or types of inputs then I think the sound differences are distinguishable.  This is just my opinion of course (and I have been wrong before!) 

The BP-26 has a more forward soundstage and is punchier in the mid bass. The dynamics are well presented and the differences between loud and soft are well delineated. The 26 can sound a touch bright on certain material due to the more forward presentation but a lot depends on the auxiliary gear. It has a ‘pure analog’ signal path. The BP-26 is fully differentially balanced on the XLR inputs but is single ended through the preamp and then re-balanced on the XLR outputs. The voltage out on the BP26 is about 30 volts so the ability to drive power amps with ease is one of its main attributes.  I think if you like a forward more in the room affect you will enjoy the BP-26.

The BR-20 soundstage moves further back and more to the sides of the speakers.  So, the soundstage is more expansive. The BR-20 has better micro resolution so the ‘spaces’ between the notes and the resolution of those silent spaces are better rendered. The bass is well defined and the separation of different bass instruments etc. are more defined and detailed.  There is an ease and fluidity about the sound that draws you into the music. The accuracy of signal flow is better in the BR-20 which is obvious when looking at the measurements. Lastly the main difference is the BR-20 is a ‘fully balanced’ circuit design throughout which offers several benefits when it comes to providing as accurate a signal path as possible. I think if you like a more tonally balanced presentation you will prefer the BR-20.

spartana

« Reply #553 on: 14 Aug 2022, 01:21 pm »
Thanks, James. Helps a lot! Have a nice sunday!

Clive197

« Reply #554 on: 14 Aug 2022, 01:24 pm »
James, I couldn’t have said that better and I totally agree with you. I love the fully balanced sound of the BR-20 which matches beautifully with the 4B3. A very smooth and insightful combination.

spartana

« Reply #555 on: 20 Aug 2022, 07:12 am »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

James - I read somewhere that PI 4 is almost impossible to get. Did you switch to another version in the meantime?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #556 on: 20 Aug 2022, 11:41 am »
Hi - We had some in stock and purchased some a month or so back - so OK so far but not sure for how long - 'get-em while they last '   :lol:

Oh and I should mention they have increased in price 10 fold if you can find any.

james

spartana

« Reply #557 on: 21 Aug 2022, 01:00 pm »
Hi - We had some in stock and purchased some a month or so back - so OK so far but not sure for how long - 'get-em while they last '   :lol:

Oh and I should mention they have increased in price 10 fold if you can find any.

james

Hm. crazy times. Who would have thought 2 years back that availability of PI's could ever be a problem. Maybe going back to the idea of having a BR20 without streamer? So BR20-s?  :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #558 on: 21 Aug 2022, 07:17 pm »
Hi - we can not really do the BR20 without streamer as the software would have to change.

james

spartana

« Reply #559 on: 27 Aug 2022, 09:03 am »
Hi James,
Which Raspberry PI 4 is used? I would like to try getting a spare one - just in case. 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB RAM? Anything else to consider or are all the PI computers the same as long as e.g. PI4 with 8 GB?
Thanks