Joules

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2005, 01:02 am »
Copper Fox From Culpeper Virginia !!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2005, 07:41 pm »
Added Basil Hayden to the list in my post on the 1st page.

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #22 on: 9 Mar 2005, 06:10 pm »
Added Buffalo Trace NAS to my post on the first page.

ctviggen

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2005, 12:05 pm »
OK, I tried to drink Woodford Reserve last night.  I pored it onto some ice and let sit for a while.  After a few sips, I had to throw it out.  I couldn't drink it.  I take it this takes a while to acquire a taste for?

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2005, 04:11 pm »
The problem is that you put it on ice.  The 2nd problem is that you didn't warm it in your hand.  The 3rd problem is that Woodford Reserve is not a particularly good "intro" bourbon (it's a bit hot and grainy tasting).  Try some Elijah Craig, or Buffalo Trace, or Bulliet instead.  Also, try diluting it with a little water at first (maybe 4 parts bourbon to 1 part water).  Warming it with your hand in a brandy glass (tulip shaped) is very important, as it brings out the most flavor.  Also, adding a bit of water will knock down the "alcohol sting".

rooze

Woosy Piss ants
« Reply #25 on: 11 Mar 2005, 02:36 am »
What is it with you woosy pissants putting water in your bourbon?....do you know what they put in water these days?

Get a grip and take it like a man (or a woman), neat and quick!!

R

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2005, 12:20 am »
Added Classic Cask 20 to the front page list.

bwkendall

Let me post the question differently.....
« Reply #27 on: 15 Mar 2005, 08:51 pm »
name the bourbons you have found that you don't like.

(BTW, this is a damn fine topic you folks have come up with.  Good enough to bring me out of retirement!)

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2005, 08:55 pm »
Whiskey River 6, Ancient Age NAS, Jim Beam White, Wild Turdey 101, Knob Creek 9.

JackStraw

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2005, 09:03 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
Added Buffalo Trace NAS to my post on the first page.

I don't see this one on the first page, dude.

ctviggen

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2005, 09:04 pm »
Oops -- I misspoke.  I used Elijah Craig.  You drink it warm?  I couldn't do it -- I'd ralph.

loki1957

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2005, 09:04 pm »
Anything by the Jim Beam group

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2005, 09:19 pm »
OK, buffalo trace nas is NOW added :)

ctviggen,
well, it doesn't get much smoother or easy than EC 12, so not sure what to tell you on that.

Of course I drink it warm.  I drink cognac and brandy warm, why would whisky be any different?  Drinking it cold, or even worse, with ice, means that you get no flavor other than the atringency of the alcohol.  Which is fine for cheap whiskey, but obviates the whole point of buying an expensive, good quality whiskey.  Warm instead of cold takes the experience from a thin and overpowergly alcoholic experience, to a rich, big, flavorful experience.

loki1957

Re: Let me post the question differently.....
« Reply #33 on: 15 Mar 2005, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: bwkendall
name the bourbons you have found that you don't like.

(BTW, this is a damn fine topic you folks have come up with.  Good enough to bring me out of retirement!)

Jim beam group. garbage

Tyson

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2005, 07:52 pm »
Added impressions of George T. Stagg to my front page post.

Scott F.

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2005, 04:14 am »
Hey Tyson,

I thought you'd appreciate this. This evening I was picking up a bottle of Scotch (a bottle of Strathisla 12 for the guys coming over tomorrow) and guess who was at the liquor store. Fred Noe (Jim Beam's Grandson) and the head distiller were there offering tasters of the Knob Creek 9 small batch. We talked for a bit. Both were very personable and came off as "good old boys".

His autograph is just above the label on the glass in gold.

I had a quick taste at the store but I couldn't tell much because I was chewing gum which pretty much killed the taste. Needless to say since he autographed this bottle, I don't plan on opening it.

I thought it was pretty cool. I can't say that I've ever seen any distillery owners going on tour before but I'm not that close to the hardcore spirit-philes.

Thought you might get a kick out of the autograph.

Marbles

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2005, 04:20 am »
Scott,

As a single barrel bourbon drinker, I can definately say:COOL!!

Enjoy your bourbon in good health!

ctviggen

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2005, 12:04 am »
Well, I've rethought this bourbon thing, since my friend now has me driking scotch neat.  I can do bourbon neat, but it's still rough.  I currently have Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, and Michter's 10yo.  I think Michter's is the best, followed by WR then EC.  I also like Michter's American Whisky.  Michter's 10yo Bourbon is about $45 where I am.

skrivis

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2006, 09:29 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Scott,

As a single barrel bourbon drinker, I can definately say:COOL!!

Enjoy your bourbon in good health!

The Knob Creek Small Batch is quite good. :)

I also like the Maker's Mark with the gold wax. (I'm not sure of the name.) Regular Maker's Mark is good too.

The various Jim Beam bourbons aren't bad, although not my favorite.

I thought that Jack Daniel's is a Tennessee bourbon instead of a Kentucky bourbon.

JD and other Tenn. bourbons I've tried make me nauseous. I'm fine with Kentucky bourbons. (Scotch makes me a bit nauseous too.)

But I have no problem with the Kentucky bourbons I've tried, and i like them.

I even brought a bottle of Maker's Mark down to Venezuela. They had never even heard of bourbon before. Most everyone drinks Scotch. (Their favorites are Johhny Walker Swing and Dimple; which in the US is called Pinch.) I did bring down some Glenlivet too and they really liked that. They had never seen a single malt Scotch before. They have a really wide variety of blended Scotch, but that's it.

They also have a wide variety of rums, and you can get a number of single barrel rums from small distilleries there. My favorite was actually Havana Club Dark Rum. Good stuff! :)

LadyDog

Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2006, 10:16 pm »
Guys/Gals,
Try Old Pogue.  Good stuff, I thought at least on par or better than the Makers, Woodford, Jefferson, Knob Creek stuff.  I belive around the $45 a bottle mark.

Regards,
Jeff