A Georgia Peach

stlrman

A Georgia Peach
« on: 2 Jul 2019, 10:10 pm »

Oh myyyy!! Like Wow!!!

So I stood in line for 35 minutes to get a case of Georgia peaches .
$45 for between 40-50 peaches in a case . ( I believe) maybe 50-60 , I forgot what the man told me .
Picked within 72 hours and trucked up to Pittsburgh.
A bit expensive at almost a buck a peach .

But yummy!!!!! Sweet , juicy .
We have great local peaches from Chambersberg Pa. ,late July , I believe.

We split them up between 4 family members.
It takes 1-3 days to ripen.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: A Georgia Peach
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2019, 10:46 pm »
I abhor grocery store peaches, as most are picked waaayyy too early. Those, however, sound quite nice. 
Even if ripened at home, they don't create more sugar after they are picked, but acids break down.  That's why every where I've lived, I plant peach trees.  I my wife just ate the last off my early peaches, picked only when completely soft to the touch.  My late tree won't be ready for another couple of weeks.  After next week, it will be war with the raccoons and squirrels until time to pick.  An electric fence surrounds the tree two inches off the ground. 

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2019, 11:06 pm »
Well, crap.  I was trying to edit, but i hit quote.  My excuse is I've been craving Planter's Punch, and I'm working on my second one.   :D

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2019, 12:10 am »
Interesting. I live in Georgia and the peaches we get in the supermarket are nothing like the OP is describing. I don't buy them.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2019, 06:27 am by Early B. »

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2019, 04:37 am »
I'm glad to hear that somewhere in the US you can buy decent fruit at the grocery store.  Here is Texas, even the Texas grown peaches are picked way to early, shipped hard to avoid bruising, then "ripened" until they look pretty.  The only fruit I'll buy at the grocery are melons, and plums. 
I grow my own tomatoes and peaches because I can pick when ripe.  I usually put in some beans and peppers simply because they are easy to grow in central Texas.