X5 for classical music?

sarora9

Re: X5 for classical music?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2021, 08:51 pm »
Agree with rick and radarnyc; the electronics (and even the cables) will have a big effect with a speaker like X3/X5.

In my case I decided to start with a great dac and then upgrade the speaker, amp, and cables (in that order).

martino3

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2021, 04:16 am »
As a classical music listener, I, too, was sceptical. Clayton was nice enough to demonstrate the X5 for me, using music of my choice (various works by J.S. Bach), which would normally clear the room out. The speakers were a revelation and did full justice to the music. You need not be concerned.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:37 pm »
Martino3, Thank you so much for your comment.  I am home from vacation tomorrow and will call Clayton to discuss and possibly order.

Thanks...Marcus

coot

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2021, 10:36 pm »
Boy are you guys in my lane. I'm a lifelong classical fan - especially large-scale, mostly Qobuz.
I also am fond of theater and cathedral pipe organ. With this in mind, I want get a pair Spatials, but concerned about that 16hz low C in organ music. Would I have to add subs for that? Could be a deal breaker as I don't really have the space. Do any of you have experience with this?

sarora9

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2021, 01:08 am »
16hz probably is too low for them.

geerock

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2021, 01:45 am »
There are very very few full range speakers that are going to get down to 16hz accurately.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2021, 09:25 pm »
Well folks.  I ordered the X3s in Satin Red today.  I solved my own problem with the left side wall.  It occurred to me, while moving my current system around, that with stereo speakers I am no longer anchored to the center channel speaker (see my original photo).  I can shift the X3s to the right a substantial distance and move my listening seat back a substantial distance (as needed).  This should provide me all the room I need for music listening.

Can't wait

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2021, 09:50 pm »
You will not regret it.  Your entire musical experience is about to be seriously elevated :thumb:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2021, 11:32 pm »
Thanks Tyson.  Clayton and I had a great conversation today.  I feel very good about it.  The wife knows about it too and I'm still alive to post here!  Hahaha.  Actually, she has always been accommodating with my audio hobby.

Marcus

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2021, 08:32 pm »
Well folks.  I ordered the X3s in Satin Red today.  I solved my own problem with the left side wall.  It occurred to me, while moving my current system around, that with stereo speakers I am no longer anchored to the center channel speaker (see my original photo).  I can shift the X3s to the right a substantial distance and move my listening seat back a substantial distance (as needed).  This should provide me all the room I need for music listening.

Can't wait

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

Congrats!!

Clayton is one the best guys in audio!!

George

morganc

« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2021, 10:30 pm »

Can't wait

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

Beautiful!  Now you get to plot all the various tweaks and changes and other needs in your system!  Have fun and reach out if you want to hear our experience with various components.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2021, 12:35 am »
Thanks George and Morgan.  I appreciate the encouragement.  I am going to start a new thread on "what do I do now?"

Marcus

sarora9

« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2021, 12:51 am »

sockpit

« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2021, 04:36 pm »
I own M5s in a bedroom.  For what it's worth, acoustic treatments were transformative.  And placing them well, so that you maximize good bass (neither boomy or thin bass--here your volume control can only do so much) is key.

sockpit

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2021, 02:48 am »
Again, an M5 owner. Qobuz just released a Gewandhaus/Blomstedt recording of Brahms 2.  Holy crap does it sound good.  But I have to observe once again just how much difference a well recorded performance makes.  The speakers don’t lie. Good, bad, ugly, terrific.  The better the recording, the better more amazing they sound.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2021, 04:00 am »
I agree completely!  No one can afford to own every recording.  You have to choose how you want to spend your money.  For me, I begin with the performance and how the conductor organizes his orchestra.  I rely on reviews, especially over at HRAudio.Net.  I tag all my music files with extra information.  First, the venue.  For instance, the Barbican in London is notorious for poor acoustics.  Next, I look at the Sound Engineering team.  Soundmirror from Boston does most of Reference Recordings engineering.  They are superb!  Finally, I listen to the music several times and assign a star rating (5 stars is best).  Most on line vendors, like Native DSD, allow me to sample tracks.

I recently signed up for Amazon HD music.  It's a bit tricky to set it up for full HiRez sound (24/192).  But, it can be done.  Most all albums I am interested in, especially jazz & blues, I can find and play.

Can't wait to find out how well the X3s play my library of music.

Marcus
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2021, 04:22 pm by Desertpilot »

Dr Pain

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2021, 03:55 pm »
"Clayton is one the best guys in audio!!"

I wholeheartedly agree.

I love talking with Clayton at AXPONA. He is very passionate and for good reason about Open Baffle speakers. I have a pair of black M3 Holograms I need to sell. Unfortunately I no longer have the space for the M3's in my home.  It's difficult to consider parting with them as I fell in love with them back in 2015.           

Aoleon

« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2021, 01:39 pm »
Here you go buddy!

https://youtu.be/VUjKy0K8S-s

Please bear in mind that these are brand new X5s and are not broken in yet. Also, this is streamed from youtube twice…and recorded on my iphone. Use a good pair of headphones. Enjoy!

As for do they do classical music well, I would say yes. Everything is relative though so without a point of reference I can’t really give you an accurate comparison. I listen to a lot of orchestral film music and it sounds great on these speakers. Stuff like James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams. These speakers can sound fantastic at low volume levels too. I live in an apartment with neighbors above me and below me and being able to listen to music late at night without disturbing my neighbors is important and these speakers sound great at low volume levels. Also the open baffle design, eliminates 95% of all room acoustical issues like room modes and room boom in the bass. So that’s another huge bonus right there!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2021, 05:53 pm »
Not just that, but open baffle bass does not pressurize a room like box speakers do, so there's a lot less bleed over through the walls when you DO turn it up.

Yeah, nothing really beats a good OB design. 

Only downside?  Break in for speakers at this level takes for ever.  At least 200 hours.  Some days they will sound downright bad.  But push through these ugly duckling stages and you will be rewarded with a beautiful swan at the end.

morganc

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2021, 07:04 pm »
I'll second that Tyson. I bought my X5 second hand but only a few months ok'd and they were not broken fully for a few months.