Vision SET 400 amp Review

avahifi

Re: Vision SET 400 amp Review
« Reply #120 on: 5 May 2021, 06:27 pm »
I have a demo SET 400 power amp with the black faceplate available at 10% off ($1799).

RCA stereo inputs and ready to go with full new warranty.

Frank

gene9p

« Reply #121 on: 6 May 2021, 02:27 pm »
I just shipped back a pristine 2 week old silver face plate that will be back in Frank's hands 5/7.. I never used the power chord or anything else in the box but the amp and it was used with very high end gear, Furman protection and battery backup.

decooney

« Reply #122 on: 8 May 2021, 04:08 pm »
after a week of listening and comparing I have decide to send the amp back. It is quite good, beautifully built, easy on the back weight, and impressive sound to boot. However I am going to stick with the A21 with the balanced inputs, gain controls, and 12v trigger that fit my needs/wants. Sound wise both are top notch , I just feel the A21 works better with the Mac 2300 in my set up. Others might find it the other way around they are both that good. if anyone wants me to ship the amp to them instead of back to AVA let me know ASAP.

I just shipped back a pristine 2 week old silver face plate that will be back in Frank's hands 5/7.. I never used the power chord or anything else in the box but the amp and it was used with very high end gear, Furman protection and battery backup.

Hi gene9p,
Saw your note on needing those other features which I don't care about or need, but wondering why you felt the A21 was worth sticking with sonically?  I tried the new "+" addition A23+ reportedly designed by John Curl and was surprisingly undwhelmed, even with a really good 6SN7 tube preamp in front of it. Sold it a month after giving it a shot as a backup amp to my tube mono amps.  Fwiw, I've owned many other Class A/AB SS amps to compare to in the past.  Yes, we realize function and synergy is important and likely why you kept the Mac 2300 / A21 amp setup. Hope you can answer another question and no offense meant.. i would figure the SET 400 would sound better than your A21 and wondering if you felt your current Mac 2300 preamplifier was a limiting factor in not achieving the best results with the SET400. And wondering if you focused on one aspect of the sound like bass vs the entire soundstage, midrange, imaging... 

Did you try any other preamps with the SET 400 amp before sending it back, anything more you care to share with us, please?

gene9p

« Reply #123 on: 8 May 2021, 09:56 pm »
I had the A23+ as well with my Vinnie Rossi LIO and had Amperex 7308 white labels as well as green labels and thought it was quite good. I never felt the A23+ was underwhelming at all. As far as the A21 , it just sounds better with my "new"setup using the Mac 2300.  It was a tough call but it did sound more to my liking, a bit smoother than the 400 but that's not a knock, just the way I listen to my music these days. I did not try the 400 nor the A21 with the LIO. Perhaps down the road but right now I am committed..lol..to the Mac. The Mac with the new Tung Sol 12x7 gold pins is quite beautiful sounding, much better than the original 12x7 's. I sold my Genalex 12x7 Gold Lions a while ago when I sold my Mac C220. The only limitations with the Mac 2300 is it is hard to swap tubes compared to the C220 and the ease of the VR LIO.  In your set up you might hear things differently and the 400 is the better fit. Cables as well as speakers make a difference as well. ..not to mention I  will be 70 at the end of the year and I KNOW my hearing has changed and not for the better. As far as comparison between the A21 and the A23+...build quality is outstanding now on the 23+, much better than the older one and better in some ways than the original A21. The new 21+ has taken the build quality to a higher level as well along the lines of the JC5. Sound wise the original 21 I have is better overall... sound stage, bass, everything over the 23+, it's just that good. Not so when comparing the 21 to the 400..both are excellent and give so much great sound and detail. Both are quality built . So it comes down to a gut decision. If I could keep both..I would...this was a tough tough decision.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #124 on: 8 May 2021, 11:17 pm »
Gene, I owned an A21 that I gave to my son.  We recently sold it.  We compared the A21 to the SET 400 that I reviewed and the 400 was smoother, more musical and it was not even close.

It could be system matching with preamps and DAC's or we just hear things different.

gene9p

« Reply #125 on: 9 May 2021, 12:42 pm »
exactly.....
same with the Pass Labs XP 10..so loved but didn't work for me....better adjust my meds..lol

decooney

« Reply #126 on: 9 May 2021, 04:11 pm »
exactly.....
same with the Pass Labs XP 10..so loved but didn't work for me....better adjust my meds..lol

Sounds like you are trying different things to find the best fit for your system and that's what it's all about. 

That whole saga about the XP10 vs the later version 12, 22, 30 seemed to be an expensive trial & error venture and many went through that, and still are.   Others trying vendor preamps including various tube preamps to find the synergy with their Pass amps. For a while there, NP was actually recommending people try really good tube preamps with his amps. Some have with great reward.  Then out came the NuTube Korg, some tried that too. Finding a good match can be super rewarding when it happens, particularly when it raises the result for all components within the system to sound their best. For those who can swing it, sure seems like it would be worthwhile to pair up one of the AVA preamps with the AVA amps to give it a fair review if the current preamp one has might be in question. Best of luck to all on these units, good fun.   

decooney

Re: dupe
« Reply #127 on: 9 May 2021, 04:18 pm »
duplicate, deleted.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2021, 05:57 pm by decooney »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #128 on: 9 May 2021, 11:02 pm »
Agree, I had an X1 preamp with my X250 amp and sold it for a BAT VK51se tube preamp and have never looked back.

avahifi

« Reply #129 on: 10 May 2021, 03:59 pm »
We now have a perfect like new demo Vision SET 400 power amp with the premium silver faceplate available for 10% off.

Frank

BryanDJF

« Reply #130 on: 16 Aug 2022, 06:39 pm »
I stopped by AVA this spring and picked up a SET 400.  It has been everything I hoped.  Plenty of power.  It runs cool.  Ten hour sessions are handled with aplomb. Sound is dynamic and clear.  Music has details I haven't heard before.  I'm definitely a fan!  But I'm afraid I may have contracted g.a.s.  Anyone have recommendations on a pre to go with the SET 400?  I am eagerly awaiting your updated lineup Frank! 

outsider10

« Reply #131 on: 11 Sep 2022, 06:24 am »
I stopped by AVA this spring and picked up a SET 400.  It has been everything I hoped.  Plenty of power.  It runs cool.  Ten hour sessions are handled with aplomb. Sound is dynamic and clear.  Music has details I haven't heard before.  I'm definitely a fan!  But I'm afraid I may have contracted g.a.s.  Anyone have recommendations on a pre to go with the SET 400?  I am eagerly awaiting your updated lineup Frank!

My Yamaha C4 pre is getting long in tooth.
I am also starting to consider a new pre-amp to pair with my SET 400.

avahifi

« Reply #132 on: 12 Sep 2022, 08:35 pm »
Either our Vision RB solid state preamp or our Transcendence 10 vacuum tube preamp will work great with the SET 400 power amp.

It just depends on whether you would like a small touch of romantic tube sound or a bit closer to the real world for your choice.

Both are the same price and both look identical using our brand new much upgraded silver faceplates.  Remote control standard, phono section optional.

Frank