Power options for new stratos

byteme

« on: 22 Apr 2003, 08:31 pm »
My new stratos is on it's way.  In talking to Klaus, he recommended plugging it directly into the wall, not through an Ultimate outlet or any other power conditioning device.  That won't be a problem except for placement of the amp and the wall outlets.  I SHOULD have had the outlets placed directly behind the rack when we built the room, but, alas, I didn't.  So, from the top of the rack, where the Stratos will sit, to the dedicated audio wall outlet is gonna be more than 6 ft.  I was planning on using a Virtual Dynamics power 1 or power 3 cord with this beast but it won't reach.

So, my options are:

1 - build/buy a new 9ft cord, if built it would be CVH flavor 2 or ErnieM variety - go directly to wall

2 - build another ErnieM pobox (or buy similar) and plug the amp into that.  I could also then use that for other analog equipment but I wouldn't want to put too much in there with the stratos (correct?) - use VD Power 1 or 3 to the Stratos.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2003, 08:53 pm »
How about building one of these?

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablpowr&1051062069

Then you could bring the power outlet closer to your rack.

DiNo

Re: Power options for new stratos
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2003, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: byteme
he recommended plugging it directly into the wall, not through an Ultimate outlet or any other power conditioning device.  

Are you sure about this?
I don't think I want to plug my amp directly into the wall without some kind of protection against power surges and lightning.

Ferdi

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2003, 09:06 pm »
A lot depends on stability of your local power. In NL there have been lightning caused power spikes but they are extremely rare and normally covered under insurance.

Most reports seem to support Klaus guidance to plug the Stratos straight into the wall. I run mine that way and am very happy with that solution. I have experimented with cables a bit and the Stratos is sensitive to changes in power cables. Why not build both and try them?

Building a splitter box probably depends more on the number of sockets than anything else.

Good luck.

Ferdi

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2003, 09:36 pm »
Josh, I was thinking I should probably say something about what the heck a pobox is!  Essentially, it's excatly what you posted the link too, except I build it myself from a kit that "Ernie" provides for like $45 or something.  It's a 4 outlet (2 duplexes) box that looks almost exactly like the posted picture but a bit less industrial (top plate is an ivory metal wall plate rather than an industrial cover).  Other than that they are the same.  

I'm leaning towards the box route because that way I can try a couple of the power cords I've got.  If need be I can always go and build the 9' one as well.

DiNo, Klaus was very clear on plugging the amp directly into the wall.

DiNo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2003, 10:05 pm »

DiNo, Klaus was very clear on plugging the amp directly into the wall.

Thanks for clarifying this info. Enjoy your new amp, you'll love it.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2003, 11:22 pm »
Why not get a Bolder power strip?

I believe Josh has one, so you could ask him how he likes it.

scottpretti

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2003, 12:31 am »
Hi guys,

I've used  the CVH flavor 2 with my stereo stratos and loved it, compared to the stock and Alan Mahr braid cords.  I run all of my equipment with a BPT 2.5 unit with Bybees, IMHO the stratos sounded better with the BPT in line then without.  I'm in the process of ordering the supplies for more CVH power cords to power my rig.  Looking forward to see the improvement with the new wire Chris has made!  By the way I'm waiting on three monos from Klaus  :hyper:

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2003, 12:50 pm »
I have my Strati plugged into a BPT 2.5 as well and IMS they sound better than when running off of straight wall current. Of course in our home there are up to 6 computers running, two of which are on the same circuit. Nasty power. :(

mike

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2003, 03:29 pm »

So, my options are:

1 - build/buy a new 9ft cord, if built it would be CVH flavor 2 or ErnieM variety - go directly to wall

I have experimented with filters (Risch DIY unit), MAssive isolation transformers and VenHaus power cords.

My final result (on a circuit that is pretty much dedicated to the audio system except for a single 40W light bulb):

I have my monos plugged directly into the wall with VenHaus Flavor 2 (the air hose type) power cords, Marinco plugs, Schurter IEC, the proper Belden Firetray cord inside), using ACME wall outlets from DIY Cable, I think.

The other analog system components are directly plugged into a 12amp OneAC isolation transformer ($50 ebay), and the CD player has it's own 2amp OneAC isolation transformer ($20 ebay). The Risch filter is used between the 2amp iso transformer and the CD player to make absolutely sure it doesn't spew back any crap into the line.

I had the monos on the filter, on the 12amp iso transformer - none of that came close to the sound when straight in the wall. What made a big difference is to take all the other components out of the cicuit and placing them on isolation transformers.

Peter

amandarae

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2003, 06:38 pm »
I have my monos plug directly to the wall using VD Power 3 and very satisfied.  Also,  my Aural Thrills power cords (Copper Big One) exhibits the same performance but a tad better in bass.  I am using the VD instead of the Aural Thrills to lessen the bass a little bit because of room size factor only.

Plugging the amps to a power conditioner, I noticed that the dynamics are not the same.  As if a little bit of life is loss.  

At present, when the monos are plug directly to the wall, using Silver ICs from phono to amp unleashes a different beast.  I love it. :D

I read in HD that the Stratos(any type) loves Silver.  I cannot remember the name of the author but he/she is a goddamn prophet, bearer of the good news that is! :D

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2003, 07:31 pm »
i installed 3 dedicated lines-2 for my monkey :o  extremes (1 each)and the other is for my sub amp(soon too be standard monkeys)all are 20 amp com grade outlets, 20 amp breakers and under 15 foot runs 12ga romex.
everything else goes to a original wall outlet in room.
i use  4ohm speakers and wanted my monkeys to have all the clean juice could drink.

byteme

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2003, 07:44 pm »
Peter,

What are the model numbers of the Oneac stuff you've got?  I've looked at those before but noone ever lists the max output in the ads so I'm unsure what I'm looking at.  Actually I don't know if they'd even be that useful for me.  I've got all my digital stuff on one dedicated 20A line that goes from wall to Vans Evers Digital clean line Jr. to a tripp lite isobar.  All my analog stuff is on another dedicated 20A line that goes from wall to PS Audio ultimate outlet to Ernies 4 outlet Pobox.  My sub amp is directly into the wall, my 5 channel amp is direct into the PS audio UO.  Also on the other duplex outlet analog side is a 6 outlet strip with various other things like clock, backlighting for the HT, power remote light turn on, etc.  So I think things are pretty clean!

amandarea - glad to hear about the Silver synergy!  I'm using Zu Warmouth cables which are all silver!  In talking to Klaus, he also mentioned that a tube preamp "is like a wet dream" in front of the Stratos.  I'll be using a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 or Philly Audio Blues 7B - both tubes.  So I got that going for me, which is nice  :mrgreen:

speedcenter

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2003, 09:09 pm »
Peter,

What are the model numbers of the Oneac stuff you've got?  I've looked at those before but noone ever lists the max output in the ads so I'm unsure what I'm looking at.  Actually I don't know if they'd even be that useful for me.  I've got all my digital stuff on one dedicated 20A line that goes from wall to Vans Evers Digital clean line Jr. to a tripp lite isobar.  All my analog stuff is on another dedicated 20A line that goes from wall to PS Audio ultimate outlet to Ernies 4 outlet Pobox.  My sub amp is directly into the wall, my 5 channel amp is direct into the PS audio UO.  Also on the other duplex outlet analog side is a 6 outlet strip with various other things like clock, backlighting for the HT, power remote light turn on, etc.  So I think things are pretty clean!

like I said - the power amps sound best without anything between wall and VenHaus power cord.  

I could get the model numbers tonight - most OneAC I saw on ebay are very low amp rating. The big one was a lucky shot, because the seller didn't want to ship, but lived within 50 miles of my home.  

The thing is huge, and if you place it within a foot of a tape deck, you'll hear the transformer magnetic field hum  :o  

You seem to have plenty of power conditioning stuff. VanSevers makes a special unit for power amps. Somebody told me once that it really worked well, but it's $600 or so and I have other issues to address before spending that kind of money on a device I may have to convince myself is actually making a difference .

Peter

randog

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2003, 12:03 am »
Peter, I followed your post until my eyes got blurry and teared up. For the non-EE, is there a good reference on the web or elsewhere on how to properly power a high-end audio setup from the breaker panel on out???

I'm just joking of course, Peter, your post is excellent but I need something like AUDIO POWER FOR IDIOTS.

My wife and I finally agreed on a location for our complete 2 channel audio/5.1 HT setup and since it currently is devoid of outlets, I have the opportunity to do it right the first time all the way from breaker panel in. I can isolate components from one another, etc, if I only had a reference to follow.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Randog

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2003, 03:26 am »
Quote from: speedcenter

So, my options are:

I have experimented with filters (Risch DIY unit), MAssive isolation transformers and VenHaus power cords.

My final result (on a circuit that is pretty much dedicated to the audio system except for a single 40W light bulb):

I have my monos plugged directly into the wall with VenHaus Flavor 2 (the air hose type) power cords, Marinco plugs, Schurter IEC, the proper Belden Firetray cord inside), using ACME wall outlets from DIY Cable, I think.

The other analog system components are directly plugged into a 12amp OneAC isolation transformer ($50 ebay), and the CD player has it's own 2amp OneAC isolation transformer ($20 ebay). The Risch filter is used between the 2amp iso transformer and the CD player to make absolutely sure it doesn't spew back any crap into the line.

I had the monos on the filter, on the 12amp iso transformer - none of that came close to the sound when straight in the wall. What made a big difference is to take all the other components out of the cicuit and placing them on isolation transformers.

Peter

Go with Venhaus PCs whch are *very* good and then into a Brickwall unit.  No loss of dynamics--just black background.

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2003, 03:39 am »
Quote from: randog
Peter, I followed your post until my eyes got blurry and teared up. For the non-EE, is there a good reference on the web or elsewhere on how to properly power a high-end audio setup from the breaker panel on out???

I'm just joking of course, Peter, your post is excellent but I need something like AUDIO POWER FOR IDIOTS.

My wife and I finally agreed on a location for our complete 2 channel audio/5.1 HT setup and since it currently is devoid of outlets, I have the opportunity to do it right the first time all the way from breaker panel in. I can isolate components from one another, etc, if I only had a reference to follow.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Randog

I don't know the fancy ways of doing this, but I'll tell you what I did.

I got some 10/2 Romex and 20A breakers. Ran the hot and neutral from the box to an Eagle IG8300 20A Hospital Grade Isolated Ground outlet. Then ran the groung to a separate grounding spot away from the breaker box (ran it to the main ground right after it came in the house).

If you want to get real fancy with it, ask audioengr. He seems to know a whole lot about AC wiring...

byteme

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2003, 03:02 pm »
I've ended up going with a 10' Ernie M 12ga kit power cord.  On his advice, which makes sense, a single cable run will be better than adding another "joint" in line.  One thing I like is the ground is "switchable" so it can be lifted or remain grounded depending on needs and sound.  Don't know how that works yet, but will soon find out!

randog

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2003, 04:37 pm »
Thanks bubba, on a search in google groups I found the following thread which looks to be excellent and is based on wiring from the breaker box to the outlets... the Xtreme way!  8)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=k6pdasg2coj3mq038tie8m1k02vv9f238k%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3Dk6pdasg2coj3mq038tie8m1k02vv9f238k%25404ax.com

whew!

The poster's logistics are the same as my own.

I'd be curious how others here agree or disagree with the comments posted. Nigel in the thread seems very knowledgeable. Anyone know him or his qualifications?

Sorry if this is too off-topic. I'm also following your comments from the outlets-out.

Randog

speedcenter

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2003, 07:41 pm »
Quote from: randog
Peter, I followed your post until my eyes got blurry ..

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Randog

Home depot - get multiple outlet boxes and put them in the wall, get high grade AC outlets for the boxes from DIYCable or other sources that sell hospital grade outlets. Plug all the amps into those. Digital stuff should be on a separate circuit from the analog gear, or you should at least use a filter, better an isolation transformer in front of that (DVD, CD, DAC), since those units "pollute" the power.

A high grade power strip built with C Venhaus style power cords and top grade outlets in heavy duty box should also work if you can't add outlets in the walls. Just looks messier.

hit the cable asylum at http://www.audioasylum.com if you want to get another 50 opinions on the subject  :roll:

You can spend more money on power cords than I've invested in my system, and then some more on transformers and conditioners. There's even a guy who was contemplating to run solid silver rods through the ceiling to his fuse box in the basement to get around the imperfect building wiring issue  :lol:

anyway - the power amps are usually best off straight in the wall. If you're afraid of lightning, you may want to get a fancy surge protector by a big name company that offers some sort of insurance plan with it that lets you buy a new system when it fails, because few of these things will really work when lightning hits close to home.

Peter