Etesian Question and Setup Config
« on: 15 Apr 2003, 06:11 pm »
First of all here's my current setup:

Denon 3802
Paradigm Studio 20's (1 Pair)
SVS 20-39CS+ / Samson S1000
AudioQuest CV4/Type4 cables
M-Audio Revolution (w/latest drivers)

My sound system is connected to my pc via my revolution soundcard. I'm currently using the Revo's processing via analog connections to the ext ins of my 3802.

Right now i'm not satisfied with the 2-channel performance of my system. I'm thinking about adding a Stratos and an Etesian to breathe new life into the 2-channel performance department. I still want to keep the 3802 since i'm eventually going to expand into home theater but my priority right now is 2-channel improvement.

I was wondering on how i would setup the physical connections when i add the stratos and etesian. I'm primarily concenrned about how my subwoofer will be connected in the mix. Can someone please clear up how the connections will go so that i can get a better picture of how i'll set it up in the future?

thanks

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2003, 08:07 pm »
If I were you I'd budget in a DVD player.  Then you would have your signal going through just one preamp.  This would allow you to do HT, Cd and possibly SACD or DVD-A.  You send the DVD to the Denon and the two channel to the Etesian.

The sub woofer integration is going to be the hard part.  I don't think there is an easy answer unless you set it up with a crossover with the mains and select no sub for 5.1.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2003, 09:08 pm »
Hi Salvador,

Thanks for the interest, man.  First off,  call me at 317 299 5578, so that we can talk in detail.
Second,  as for your setup,  that's exactly why we started on the Etesian.  Make a good sounding pre for VERY  little money specifically to fix the pre catch 22 in receivers.  The amp goes between the receiver and the axternal amp,  and with the HT bypass you can run the etesian as your main pre amp for 2 channel music.  

I'm very happy with the final result,  even though as a passive you're obviously  quite a bit away from the Tempest.  Realistically, looking at your system,  the Etesian / Stratos combo will completely reform the Denon based system,  as it should for the extra $$$.  Also,  most importantly,  the synergy of the Stratos with the Ref 20's is excellent.  So,  it's all good here.

As for MAxcast's advice,  I'd might look into that as well.  Ultimately,  it all depends on the $ and application and most use.  The first definitive step here would be going with an external amp first.

Call me,

Klaus

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2003, 12:21 am »
Etesian sounds like a wonderful value.  If it pairs well with the Stratos then presumably it is compatible with low-ish impednce loads?  Klaus, what are your thoughts on this?  I ask since my power amp has an input impedance of just 8k ohms.  My source is a Mensa DI/O dac, as well as a Sony TV.

icefox

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2003, 03:14 am »
Jay,

Wanna change speaker? It's about time for us to get together for the HAM......  :D

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2003, 05:31 pm »
I'm pretty happy with my speakers... but I have just gotten to the U.S. and I will be visiting Brian Cheney at VMPS on Monday afternoon!   :D

I've gotten a few new things since you last came over, and my Mensa DI/O is getting a few more tweaks, etc.   In a month or so when everything is burnt in we should definitely have a HAM get together!