Final choice down to Stratos vs. Le Amp II

byteme

« on: 13 Apr 2003, 04:20 pm »
Here's the dilemma.  I've gotten budgetary approval to add a two channel amp (WAF will be lower when she finds out it's a system add rather than replacing something  :D  )  However, here's where I'm at.  I can get a Stratos with the cap upgrade and possibly tweaked power supply for $950 shipped or I can wait until month end (hopefully) and pick up a pair of Le Amp II's for about 1/2 that.

From what I've been able to learn from MWAF attendees we really don't know too much about the sound of the Le Amp II's other than it was probably on par with the Le Amps.  The history of the Stratos speaks for itself...

What I'm looking for is the next step towards "you are there" sound and want this purchase to end the desire for a new amp (ya, right... :lol: )

Thanks for the input.

Ernest

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:14 pm »
I listened to both the Stratos and the LeAmp II's at the MAF.  The Stratos was hooked up to a better preamp and better speakers than the LeAmps II's.  The Statos sounded much better to me than the LAII's.  It was on a different level.  But I don't know how the LAII's would have sounded with a better preamp and speakers.  But if I had to choose now I would go with the Stratos.  I'd be very surprised if the LAII's sound as good.

Beezer

both high value
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:34 pm »
I think of Odyssey and Norh as two companies that provide very high value for the $$.  That said, I would go with the more expensive high value product (Odyssey), if I could afford it and the rest of my system warrants it or will warrant it in the near future.  I'm biased as an Odyssey owner, but I don't think you'll hear too many people (well, maybe Jackman :P )  saying the Odyssey would be the wrong choice.

Peace, Beez

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2003, 05:55 pm »
Hey Beez :nono: , I don't recall saying anything bad about Odyssey...

If you lived closer, I'd cart my AVA gear over to your place to "show you the light"...just kidding, the Odyssey stuff appears to be a very good value and lots of people seem to like Odyssey gear.  They can't all be wrong!  There are lots of great choices out there and the beauty of it all is that everyone has a different opinion...some have informed opinions and some purely emotional.  Either way, that's what makes this fun.

Jman :wink:

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2003, 06:16 pm »
I agree with what Ernest said above....

My opinion is that for the front left and right channels I would get the Stratos, for surround channels in HT I would get the LA II's.

I think that MB is making a gift of the LAII's for $400 pair intro price!

It really is difficult to tell the differences between the two amps when they were in different systems in different rooms playing at different volumes.

Having said that, I heard the LAII's through my new custom speakers as well as through wood 4.0's and wood 3.0's.

In no case did they sound veiled in any way.  None of these speakers are capable of strong bass however so that it was tough to tell how well they controlled the woofers.

As mentioned above, until there are some side by side comparison's, the Stratos is a no brainer.  For the price of the LAII's, getting them for surround channels is also a no brainer.

After some side by side comparisons, it may be that the LA II's could be as good as the Stratos, but I could not tell that under the current listening conditions.  For the intro price I don't think you will find a better amp than the LAII.

Beezer

AVA
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2003, 07:34 pm »
Jackman, I wish you could bring that AVA amp over.  Between you and Tyson, I'm considering a change.  I also saw a BAT VK-200 on Audiogon that is tempting.

Beez

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2003, 07:29 pm »
Alright, thanks!  It's all over but the cryin' now.  Just placed the order for the Stratos with 120k cap upgrade!  Now, how do I break it to my wife that it's not replacing something but an addition!!  YIKES! :lol:

Ferdi

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2003, 07:42 pm »
Well, as long as you haven't actually said it is a replacement..... Just wait for the Stratos to arrive, install it and enjoy.

:guitar:

Ferdi

Beezer

plenty of time!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2003, 08:51 pm »
Oh, come on!  You probably have a good 6-8 weeks before it arrives.  You should be able to fabricate a doozy!

Beez

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2003, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Alright, thanks!  It's all over but the cryin' now.  Just placed the order for the Stratos with 120k cap upgrade!  Now, how do I break it to my wife that it's not replacing something but an addition!!  YIKES! :lol:

Congrats byteme!  What face plate did you get?  As far as your wife goes, just sell some CD's that you don't listen to anymore.  That's a replacement.  Of course you could sell the lawn mower too and have more time to enjoy the Stratos.

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2003, 03:04 am »
I got silver for a faceplate.  My other amp, the 5 channel Sherwood Newcastle - which will now run the 4 surrounds and center - is silver/champange colored and I've got a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 with a gold /silver face so I figure this would go good with them.  Oh, and my Panny RP-82 is silver as well.

As for my wife, I don't think it will be an issue - I'll have to move a couple things around the rack and put one more component on top under the McCormack Transport but things will still look pretty orderly.  And to think, I almost didn't get the 6 shelf rack because I figured I'd never use that many!  Only 4 of them were filled when I started and now I'll have the CD Changer under the McCormack transport with the Scott Nixon Tubedac on top of that with every other space filled, one shelf with the DVD player with the Sat. box on top of that!