Anyone compare the Stratos to MF A3CR amp?

byteme

« on: 10 Apr 2003, 09:22 pm »
If so, what did you find?  I'm trying to decide between these two and the yet unseen/unheard Le Amp II.

Thanks!

Ferdi

« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2003, 10:14 pm »
Hi, haven't heard the MF but seem to remember this is an integrated. The Stratos and Norh are power amps only. (I maybe wrong though)

I may have a chance to run the Stratos against the MF sometime soon as I have agreed to take my Stratos to my local audio-dealer and have a listen to various bits of kit. (Main interest is the latest CD player.) Will post once I have done this.

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2003, 10:58 pm »
Ferdi,

Thanks!  I'll look forward to that.  The A3CD was a separate amp and preamp model and they also made a A3 integrated but was lower powered.

Thanks again!

zoltanmocsary

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2003, 05:55 am »
Yes, I compared the Odyssey Stratos Stereo to the Musical Fidelity AC3R.
The Odyssey sounded more dynamic, punchier, threw a larger soundstage and was more transparent.   My friend, who uses Jeff Roland gear, had the same opinion. Our conclusion was that the Odyssey is a better amp than the AC3R.
 We also compared the Odyssey to the Jeff Roland and the two sounded virtually identical, indistinguishable. Both were incredibly musical and involving. Therefore, the Odyssey was on a par with the JR, which is an $8000 amp. The Roland will face a much stiffer competition against the extreme monos, when I have my 2 stereos converted. Currently I'm using them bridged, and I wonder if the sound can get any better than this...

Zoltan

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2003, 09:03 pm »
I had a chance to listen to the MF for half an hour or so today. This was on Driade speakers and with the A3.2 CDP.

I found this a nice setup that sounded quite musical. It was not the last word in detail or power. Especially in busy/loud sections, things got a bit confused. The Rotel RB1080 I listened to in comparison did that better but was a bit lifeless in comparison.

These are very rough observations without really comparing with the Stratos. Will have a chance to do that in detail next Thursday. More news then.

Side note: the CDP seems attractive.