my AR post on Stratos

arthur

my AR post on Stratos
« on: 18 Mar 2003, 10:53 pm »
Some people claim that all amps sound the same… and my experience has shown that for the most part they do. The only difference that a very good amp makes is at the very edges of the musical performance – the transition spaces between sounds, the control of decay, the shape of the sound around the notes, etc. The bulk of the sound does sound the same, but for me, a large part of the emotional impact of music is not in its bulk but precisely at its edges. If this is also true for you, if you have to sit still and close your eyes for a while before feeling like you are “really” listening to music, and you have not more than $3000 to spend on an amplifier than I don’t think that you can go wrong with the Odyssey Stratos stereo amplifier. (If you have many thousands of dollars to spend on an amp, then please spend some time to reflect upon what is important in life  
The specs of the Odyssey Stratos never impressed me, but after reading the reviews, which are overwhelmingly positive, I decided to give it a try. Now, after listening to it for over a year I can honestly say that I understand what Klaus (the manufacturer) means when he says “the music is not in the specs… an amplifier is a piece of art which is a product of the inventor’s ear and ability to shape sound through the manipulation of electronics.” Listen and believe your ears and not some numbers that someone jotted down. This amp is very musical and a solid performer – for the price I could not find anything that could beat it…. But yes yes, as any gear, please do break it in before forming an opinion about it.

System:
Legacy Classics
Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade
Creek OBH 12
Scott Nixon TubeDac+
Pioneer DVD
some decent cables

amandarae

my AR post on Stratos
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2003, 02:14 am »
Nice reminder, Arthur .....to those who are with doubts! :nono:

Paranoia is directly proportional to how fast you ask yourself if there's a better amp for the same money/value of the stratos line after listening to it for quite sometime(break in included) and being captivated how good it really is.  I cannot change amps(mine are the monos) like changing clothes, my wallet will rip apart into oblivion.  I like what I hear and appreciate what I have.  Maybe the Extremes sounds better than my current (360,000uf capacitance) monos.  Maybe not.  Application is everything.  To each his own.

'Love my monos.  Will buy something again from Klaus!  Definitely! :D

Mad DOg

my AR post on Stratos
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2003, 01:05 am »
agreed, Arthur...my experience has me agreeing with you 100%...to some, the differences in sound between amps aren't worth the extra money one has to shell out to get closer to the edges of the musical performance while to others it is...

BlackCat

my AR post on Stratos
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2003, 07:03 pm »
I don't think they will ever build an amp that I'd trade my Xtreme monoblocks for.  If they ever do, I could never afford it.  Now, maybe if Klaus builds an arc welding version at around 600 watts per chassis, I might be tempted...