ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!

dminches

Re: ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!
« Reply #140 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:22 pm »
Dan, have you done a comparison of your modded SE and your transporter, using the Oppo as a transport?  Way back in this thread I thought you were going to compare these.

modwright

« Reply #141 on: 4 Jan 2010, 06:17 pm »
I am sorry but I have not.  Baed on my listening experience, I would say that the Transporter will still have the slight edge.

Thanks,

Dan

boatschool02

« Reply #142 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:12 am »
Hello,

My OPPO went in for the SE upgrade a few days ago.

I just finished reading this entire thread.  Several folks offered to post their impressions of the modified player.  Any findings based on direct comparisons to quality players up to and including the MWTP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

carusoracer

« Reply #143 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:03 pm »
Dan, have you done a comparison of your modded SE and your transporter, using the Oppo as a transport?  Way back in this thread I thought you were going to compare these.

Nice Avatar!  Jer-ray!

jriggy

« Reply #144 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:10 pm »
Hey all,
Question for ya's: What is the best way to put some break in time on these mods? (multi ch)
 Can I  break it in by just playing a disk in the player without the pre on? Or does the pre need to be on with the input selected for the analog signal to flow?
Please excuse my ignorance here, Im def not knowledgeable on the technical side of analog OR digital signal flow. But my instinct is telling that analog would flow until it it hits a dead end of sorts...

Thanks

jason

dminches

« Reply #145 on: 18 Feb 2010, 11:08 pm »
dan, do you think there is a significant difference between your modded se and modded non-se?  I ask because the modded se is effectively $400 more in total.  I am wondering if I should just have you mod a non-se.

modwright

« Reply #146 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:57 pm »
First of all, we did compare a modified Oppo BDP-83 (non-SE) at CES, to the Transporter, using the Oppo as transport to the Transporter as DAC.  It was VERY close with the slight edge going to the Transporter in terms of overall liquidity, due to the use of tubes.

Comparing the SE to the non-SE, there is greater resolution with the SE, but the difference, once both are modified, is quite a bit less then when stock.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Dan

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #147 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments Dan. This just makes my burning desire for your tube modified Oppo BDP-83SE even greater. I wanted to get the Transporter but also wanted something that could play a 24/192 signal with your tube output. I did a format comparison between SACD and BluRay's 24/192kHz using a 2L Reference Recording. I used your Signature Truth Sony 9000es for the SACD and a stock Denon DVD 3800 for the BluRay. While I very much enjoyed the liquidity in the Sony I wound up preferring the greater resolution in the BluRay format which got me to thinking of someway to combine the two. Thus the reason I asked if you had plans for doing a tubed version of the Oppo BDP-83SE in your BDP-83SE Mods thread.
Thanks for the great work you do and keep us posted on the progress. 

jriggy

« Reply #148 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:51 pm »
First of all, we did compare a modified Oppo BDP-83 (non-SE) at CES, to the Transporter, using the Oppo as transport to the Transporter as DAC.  It was VERY close with the slight edge going to the Transporter in terms of overall liquidity, due to the use of tubes.

This mirrors my observations with the exact same comparison. And since I purchased one of the demo non SE's that went to CES with you Dan, it may even be the same player used  :D
I would like to add, even though the Transporter has that liquidity, there is a detail and definition in the bass using the Oppo mods that is really nice! Really, the clarity from top to bottom is just excellent! And Im not even sure this player is as open as it is going to get.