Ern Dog

Re: SS 9.5's in Carpathian Elm Burl with "fireburst" finish
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2019, 02:54 am »
These are Gorgeous! 

strat95

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2019, 11:01 pm »
Jim,

Gorgeous work by you and your team, you really hit this out of the park, but you typically do that.

Does the 9.5 imply the size of the woofer?

Can you reveal how low in the bass region these go?

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2019, 03:43 pm »
Jim,

Gorgeous work by you and your team, you really hit this out of the park, but you typically do that.

Does the 9.5 imply the size of the woofer?

Can you reveal how low in the bass region these go?

Yes, 9.5 is the woofer size.  These are tuned to an F3 of 25Hz.

- Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2019, 08:48 pm »
Stunning addition to the speaker-world, Jim. Very fine.

Any chance you can post a pic or two of the backsides?  I'm just that way..  :green:

tonyptony

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2019, 12:53 pm »
I just have to add the same ting - holy crap! :o When you can, Jim, please tell us about the driver complement and such.

And, will these be at Axpona? :popcorn:

AndrewA

« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm »
The tweeter and mid-range look as if they come from the Song3 BeAT: Beryllium dome tweeter and Audio Technology midrange.

Pretty sure that's the Satori 9.5" woofer from the Song Encore, + something on the side.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:26 pm »
The tweeter and mid-range look as if they come from the Song3 BeAT

Beryllium dome tweeter

Audio Technology midrange

Pretty sure that's the Satori 9.5" woofer, + something on the side.

This is what Jim said about the design in another thread:

We took the best of the Song3 BeAT's, Song3 Encore's and the SS8's and combined them into this new design.  It will feature the BE tweeter and AT mid from the Song3 Beat's, the 9.5" Satori woofer from the Song3 Encores, dual side-firing passives and an open backed midrange from the SS8's.  And we took a slightly different approach to the basic cabinet design.

funkmonkey

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2019, 06:59 pm »
I was just strolling by :dance: and stumbled on this new design.  :thumb:

Absolutely love the progressive chamfer on those cabinets!
They look incredible!  Would love to hear them as well.
Amazing work Jim, you and your guys have created a [very pretty] monster.
...f3 of 25hz!!!  My kind of Monster!  :bounce:
Cheers

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2019, 07:51 pm »
I was just strolling by :dance: and stumbled on this new design.  :thumb:

Absolutely love the progressive chamfer on those cabinets!
They look incredible!  Would love to hear them as well.
Amazing work Jim, you and your guys have created a [very pretty] monster.
...f3 of 25hz!!!  My kind of Monster!  :bounce:
Cheers

Yes, we have been listening now for about two weeks and they've performed extremely well.  This may likely be the best pair of speakers we have ever produced.

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2019, 09:31 pm »
Yes, we have been listening now for about two weeks and they've performed extremely well.  This may likely be the best pair of speakers we have ever produced.

- Jim

That's great, but I just got my Song3's less than a year ago! Good thing I agreed to let me wife buy new area rugs she wanted because.... Honestly, these may be too big for my room. Do you think a version with the 7.5" driver is doable and worth it? OR would it not be enough of a gain over the Song3 Beats?

Randy

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:13 pm »
We have done chamfered cabinets in the past upon request.  But they require a lot of labor in a one-off situation.  They require quite a few templates to be developed in addition to the cabinets themselves.  So the cost is generally prohibitive.  But we can certainly do them.

As for the chamfered edges, they can be veneered.  We are building another set of these cabinets for a customer who did not want burst edges.  His chamfers are veneered.  It adds a bit of labor and time, but is not a problem. The standard build will be with burst edges, but the up-charge for veneered chamfers should not be all that much.

As for the sound quality, thus far I keep hearing the word "stunning" from those who have heard them.  One of our severest critics said he thought that Dennis Murphy's crossover work on these is the best he has ever done.  And that says a lot.

- Jim

Jim,
   Hard to believe you have any critics, let alone "severe critics."

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:15 pm »
That's great, but I just got my Song3's less than a year ago! Good thing I agreed to let me wife buy new area rugs she wanted because.... Honestly, these may be too big for my room. Do you think a version with the 7.5" driver is doable and worth it? OR would it not be enough of a gain over the Song3 Beats?

They, of course, would play down to 25Hz vs. 33Hz.  But the BeAT's would sound pretty much the same down to 33Hz.  The only other difference would be the open backed midrange which would produce a larger sound stage.  If I had the BeAT's (which I'm in the process of building for myself), I'd be perfectly happy.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm »
Jim,
   Hard to believe you have any critics, let alone "severe critics."

Well, I do have a very opinionated associate.  He is extremely critical.  So every speaker we put our name on has to be approved by him as well.  This is very valuable as we want those whose opinions we trust to speak their minds.  In that regard, we have no use for "yes" men or women.

Once in a while we will have a speaker with a new finish I think is fantastic.  He'll "hate" it.  Of course, there is no accounting for taste and I'm usually right about finishes.

- Jim

Yomaha

« Reply #33 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm »
They, of course, would play down to 25Hz vs. 33Hz.  But the BeAT's would sound pretty much the same down to 33Hz.  The only other difference would be the open backed midrange which would produce a larger sound stage.  If I had the BeAT's (which I'm in the process of building for myself), I'd be perfectly happy.

- Jim

Jim,

Will you be running a sub(s) with your BeAT's?

supermo26

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2019, 11:15 pm »
My mind sees a lot of different things in the wood grain. Predator looking thing from Aliens top side. A few other things on the side as well. I also see a spider or web on the front. It's like beautiful abstract art.

I wish I had a chance at owning a pair. ( but then again I'd need components and an amp to power them properly.) I feel like my current HT2 TL's could use a better receiver than what I have. This older Integra DTR-8.4 sounds good with the AVA amp. I just feel like my speakers deserve better.  :)

robink

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2019, 06:43 am »

- Jim

Can you elaborate? Specifically, in what ways do you feel it is superior to the SS8 (since you named is SS 9.5 it would be logically compared to SS8)?

Does the Satori produce a faster bass decay than what is in the SS8? Can the AT midrange produce a more detail or more holographic soundstage than the Accuton? I would assume the tweeters produce nearly indistinguishable highs. Is that correct?

mav52

« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2019, 02:17 pm »
Jim, I was wondering on any thought of a RAAL instead of the BE tweeter , any benefits or not  I've always liked the speed, precision, and incisiveness of a RAAL.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #37 on: 22 Feb 2019, 07:52 pm »
Doesn't the SS8 have a RAAL tweeter?

Jim, I was wondering on any thought of a RAAL instead of the BE tweeter , any benefits or not  I've always liked the speed, precision, and incisiveness of a RAAL.

mav52

« Reply #38 on: 22 Feb 2019, 08:55 pm »
Doesn't the SS8 have a RAAL tweeter?

The SS8 according to teh site, can be ordered with a RAAL or BE

jsalk

« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2019, 11:06 pm »

If you love the RAAL, you'll love the Be tweeter.  Hard to tell them apart in listening tests.  The Be tweeter was the best we have ever measured.

- Jim