ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!

cmryan21

Re: ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2009, 10:07 pm »
Hi Dan,

Quick question on the Blu Ray element of this.  My understanding is that Blu Ray technology is changing rapidly.  So, it makes me wonder if I were to purchase a modified player, would I lock in the current technology, and therefore it would be obsolete soon, or is this somehow set up to be able to incorporate the new changing technologies?  Thanks Dan!

Jwes, I know you addressed your message to Dan but I was curious as to what you meant by Blu-ray tech is changing rapidly. I was under the impression that it's been pretty settled since profile 2.0 and the 3.0 profile only added support for the music only discs(which I'm kinda hoping take off but I'm not betting on it).

jwes

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2009, 11:35 pm »
That's actually kind of my concern.  With already several incarnations of the format (who knows when 3.5 or 4.0, etc. comes?), and recent addition of BD Live, it doesn't seem like a set technology to me.  I'm not an expert and I don't know what version is next, but that is why I'm asking.

cmryan21

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2009, 11:40 pm »
That's actually kind of my concern.  With already several incarnations of the format (who knows when 3.5 or 4.0, etc. comes?), and recent addition of BD Live, it doesn't seem like a set technology to me.  I'm not an expert and I don't know what version is next, but that is why I'm asking.

I see. I was just a little concerned that there was some news on that front that I missed.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2009, 12:02 am »

Many, if not most, of the upgrades are simple firmware upgrades.

I understand where you are coming from, but if you follow your line of reasoning, you will never buy anything until it is extremely mature.  Which might mean missing out on years of enjoyment. 

George

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2009, 03:07 pm »

I understand where you are coming from, but if you follow your line of reasoning, you will never buy anything until it is extremely mature.  Which might mean missing out on years of enjoyment. 

George

Good point, George.  From the standpoint of the Modwright imporovements to this unit this is a bit of a moot point as the only aspect of performance being addressed is the two-channel audio output circuit.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would have no impact on video performance or the BluRay chipset or firmware...only the audio output...yes?  Dan, would the power supply upgrade have an affect on the video performance too? 

It was my understanding too that all of the recent changes to BluRay have been implemented via firmware and not hardware.  Where this kind of technology is concerned there's always going to be something new with shinier bells and whistles and more buttons on the remote for you to figure out. One could just stand on the sidelines and watch'em all go by waiting for that train to stop...but it never does. 

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:26 pm »
To clarify, I agree that the changes are mostly firmware and our mods do nothing to change, impact or limit this.  We are upgrading power suppiles, analog stages, digital out circuitry, etc.  It is our goal to improve the 2CH and MCH analog out performance as well as video (via upgrades to video power supplies and clock upgrade) as well as upgrades to the digital output which will be impacted by power supply improvements, clock upgrade and other things that we are going to research.

Oppo will I am sure continue to offer firmware updates which are easily implemented and will have not impact, nor be limited by our mods.

This unit is really an incredible 'swiss army knife' of players - if you will.  It is inexpensive, incredibly flexible and it is my intent to develop a cost-effective mod that will turn this unit into a Giant killer in this arena of all-in-one Universal Players.

The 2CH analog stage is currently upgraded and our new power supply installed.  It is burning in and being evaluated, while the MCH analog stage board design is being finalized.  The clock upgrade is on order and the power supply upgrades will commence next.

Believe it or not, we are well under way, but it takes a bit of time to dial everything in.

SOON:  I will start taking pre-orders and a wait list!

Thanks,

Dan W.

jwes

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2009, 08:12 pm »

George

Actually, no - I was not providing a "line of reasoning", but rather asking a question as to the nature of what seems like rapid changes to the core technology.  If the answer is that they are primarily small, firmware based changes then that answers my question.  Thanks.

MrBrix

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:22 am »

SOON:  I will start taking pre-orders and a wait list!

Thanks,

Dan W.

I believe I have a standing Pre-Order! :drool: 

Ije

talk2me

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:34 am »
I am getting quite excited also. This is sounding (no pun intended  :wink:)
better each and every day.

PLMONROE

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:49 am »
Dan, when you start taking orders will you first be working only on customer provided units, or will you be able to supply the unit along with the mods?   :drool:

Paul

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2009, 07:16 pm »
We will be offering them complete and mods for owner-supplied units.  I need to find a source for the units first.

I am wondering how much interest there is for a tubed 2CH analog stage for this unit?  I am getting more inquiries along these lines than expected?

Thanks,

Dan

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2009, 07:26 pm »
Tube analog stage would be a great option IMHO.
If I will find the time to move some of my unused gear, I would be interested as well.  :drool:

Mariusz :thumb:

sac8d4

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2009, 11:22 pm »
consider me interested as well

PLMONROE

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:33 am »
Ditto!

Paul

Nolan B

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2009, 05:08 am »
What effect if any do you think will be present using the Pure Audio mode after the mod? Currently I notice a slight difference (surprised its there at all) just curious to know if the Mod will make it redundant, or if a further improvement could be realized.

thnx

Tieftoener

• My infrequently-posted Blog
« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2009, 06:21 am »
What effect if any do you think will be present using the Pure Audio mode after the mod? Currently I notice a slight difference (surprised its there at all) just curious to know if the Mod will make it redundant, or if a further improvement could be realized.

thnx

Hi Nolan,

Based on what Modwright's site shows for the current modifications (http://www.modwright.com/modifications/14), I suspect the full up mod will reveal little, if any at all, difference in the Pure Audio Mode. Updating the existing power supplies, will really help clean up the hash from the standard supply. I haven't seen the guts of one (said Oppo player) yet, but based on the fact that they identify the "digital supply" as a separate entity, cleaning that up both existing supplies will provide a great deal of isolation and really quiet things down (noise floor). In addition, they're using their standalone external supply for the new analog output stage. Good move! :thumb:

Most "audio only" modes just put the video DSPs in "sleep" mode (and perhaps disable the Video DACs)... in my experience, these modes don't actually shut down the entire "video power supply and all associated video devices," often because the supply circuits aren't segregated enough in the players. A lot of the lens reader and servo motors typically run off the same supply as the video/processor board... so, that supply needs to remain functioning for that purpose (still need the transport to run to spin the disc to get audio).

In my experience, I don't notice a difference - either pre or post mods. Pre mod, any mass-produced player I've ever opened for surgery (from top end Denon and Pioneer Elite stuff to bottom of the barrel Sony changers), the Out-of-the-Box product needs so much work that any mode just sounds "bad" to me. The mods make such a difference in their own right that the little bit of EMI and supply ripple that a video processor and DAC's use don't do much of anything Post-mod (if the mods are done well and appropriately). And, I believe that Modwright does top-notch work.

This is just my opinion, based on my experience... Dan may have an altogether different one. That's the beauty of our subjective hobby! :D

Regards,

Nolan B

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2009, 04:11 pm »
^^^ great post, thanks.

modwright

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2009, 07:47 pm »
Thanks for that informative contribution. I agree that the effects of the 'direct' mode will be minor and subtle at best.  Yes, we are using our own analog stage and this is so important.  We are also shielding some of the noisier portions of the digital supply.

I am thinking that we could offer the following ways to improve the BDP-83.

1) 2CH SS mod only, includes clock and PS upgrades.
2) Full 2CH and 7 of the MCH outs, clock and PS upgrades.
3) 2CH tube mod only, includes clock and PS upgrades.
4) 2CH tube mod and ss MCH outs, clock and PS upgrades.

Bottom line, the PS upgrades and clock upgrade will be standard, provided that I find that the clock upgrade alone is significant and I expect it will be.

We may thus offer a sort of a la carte mod offering for this fantastic player, due to its diverse customer base and use.

Thanks!

Dan

Nolan B

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jul 2009, 01:58 am »
So there is no mod offer for just the MCH outs? Not possible?

Also just opinion on the idea of adding a MWI logo. After receiving it and having a look I think the best spot would be on top like the VRS logo, but right above the Oppo logo.

Just a thought :)

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:11 am »
Thanks for that informative contribution. I agree that the effects of the 'direct' mode will be minor and subtle at best.  Yes, we are using our own analog stage and this is so important.  We are also shielding some of the noisier portions of the digital supply.

I am thinking that we could offer the following ways to improve the BDP-83.

1) 2CH SS mod only, includes clock and PS upgrades.
2) Full 2CH and 7 of the MCH outs, clock and PS upgrades.
3) 2CH tube mod only, includes clock and PS upgrades.
4) 2CH tube mod and ss MCH outs, clock and PS upgrades.

Bottom line, the PS upgrades and clock upgrade will be standard, provided that I find that the clock upgrade alone is significant and I expect it will be.

We may thus offer a sort of a la carte mod offering for this fantastic player, due to its diverse customer base and use.

Thanks!

Dan

Sounds really good offering a multitude of mods to fit different wish lists.  I'd love to just get better 2 channel SACD and be able to move my Marantz DV9600 to the basement system.  I don't dislike multi-channel music but 95% of what I have I prefer the 2-channel.