Hello from a new guy

EdwardT

Hello from a new guy
« on: 23 Jun 2021, 11:38 pm »
Hello GR people, old guy here new to the forum. I’m a long time music entertainment worker that has retired and now I’m trying to put together a great sound system for the family living room. I built a X-LS Encore kit this spring and I was well pleased with sound but now I’m building the SLS version to see if that gets me closer to my goal, which is to harmoniously blend killer speakers into my wife's living room while still being somewhat discreet. :D

Chewbacca

Re: Hello from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2021, 12:51 pm »
Welcome to AC! :thumb:

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2021, 01:38 pm »
Welcome to AC !! Hummm blend into the wife’s room eh?? Lol good luck!! Tho it’s very important, happy wife or girl.

I almost bought a set of the X-SLS for a original set is for sale in FL. (Was going to upgrade internals) But, with my current inventory of audio coming… I think if I buy one more set.. I’m going to be single.

Your X-LS will match well for rears.

Welcome! Ask questions, show your work.. and have fun

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2021, 02:00 pm »
Welcome!   I suspect my setup won't be that subtle.   Fortunately, the room is on the opposite end of the house from the main bedroom, so it shouldn't disturb her too much when I'm pulling an all-nighter to watch a movie marathon.   I ended up purchasing a pair of SVS SB-2000 Pro subs (to eventually be replaced with a pair from GR Research) to go with my pair of GR Research Servo Sub 4s, so that's a total of six 12" woofers (two sealed, four open-baffle) in my sound field.    :o

I'm more concerned with the neighbors now.    :lol:

EdwardT

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2021, 02:51 pm »
Nice to meet you guys. I think I must be well down the rabbit hole, our SLS aren’t even finished and I already want to buy Desktop Minis…

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2021, 04:12 pm »
Welcome aboard  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2021, 05:24 pm »
Welcome! You're on step 2 of the process that ends with you wearing your wife down and getting her to agree to what you really want.  8)

dryan01uk

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2021, 02:59 am »
Welcome! You're on step 2 of the process that ends with you wearing your wife down and getting her to agree to what you really want.  8)

Ah ... if only.

And welcome.  I've just fallen down the same rabbit hole and can't fault my experience so far.

D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2021, 03:39 am »
Welcome to AC!  :thumb:

EdwardT

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:54 pm »

These guys went to a new home, I’m really hoping the SLS version hits the sweet spot for me and allows me to dial in a minimal amount of sub reinforcement. The LS voicing is so nice I had to build again.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2021, 01:30 pm »

These guys went to a new home, I’m really hoping the SLS version hits the sweet spot for me and allows me to dial in a minimal amount of sub reinforcement. The LS voicing is so nice I had to build again.

As mains? Yes!  I think the 3 DB down is 55 on the books and 45 on the SLS so for sure it’s going to play a bit lower. You said you have a sub, but want to minimally use.. ? Subs are better for those low Fq.

Are you making the SLS with the same Venere. That’s nice! Reminds me of another build around here that was just done. Sweet work man.

EdwardT

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2021, 06:46 pm »
That's quarter sawn Cherry with a tung oil finish, this time around I’m using quarter sawn mahogany and the finish choice is still up in the air although Rubio Monocoat might prevail. Or Tung. I'll do a test swatch first.
Also, give credit where it is due, those cabinets were built by Peter for his Baltic birch YouTube demo, I just did the finish work, veneer and wiring. Peter delivers a stellar product and those where perfectly built and very solid.
As far as the sub usage, I like really deep bass notes but I find a lot of subs (including my current sub) start coloring the notes above 60hz and I’d prefer not to hear that. And since I’m tailoring this system to please my damaged ears I’m going with that plan. This will be the sixth set of speakers I've put into play to get where I want to be and I hope this go I’ve got it right.