Which KT88 Brand to Buy? So many to choose from

finsup

Re: Which KT88 Brand to Buy? So many to choose from
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jan 2012, 02:40 pm »
...The Shuguang EL156 is a great tube also. I auditioned the Eastern Electric M156 amplifiers (sold in the US by Morningstar Audio) when they first came out a couple years ago. They have a powerful and intoxicating sound, but I don't know how much of that is the tube, or the circuit/trannies. The tubes themselves were substantial, seemed well built, but I don't know about reliability. Shuguang is generally reliable if you use within the normal window.

Just an update on the Eastern Electric M156 amplifiers and the EL156 tube.  I contacted Bill at Morningstar Audio just before Christmas about the EL156 mono amps and he replied that Alex Yeung, the amp's designer, wrote to say the Chinese EL156 made tubes are no longer being used as-of about three weeks ago as he is having a hard time finding them.  Production may have stopped. 

Bill went on to say that "...the Russians are making the KT120 tubes and I believe folks can use that tube in the amps. The factory just received their order of KT120's to check to see if we can use or not and we might be coming out with KT120 mono's or stereo amp in the future."

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2012, 03:45 pm »
Just an update on the Eastern Electric M156 amplifiers and the EL156 tube.  I contacted Bill at Morningstar Audio just before Christmas about the EL156 mono amps and he replied that Alex Yeung, the amp's designer, wrote to say the Chinese EL156 made tubes are no longer being used as-of about three weeks ago as he is having a hard time finding them.  Production may have stopped. 

Bill went on to say that "...the Russians are making the KT120 tubes and I believe folks can use that tube in the amps. The factory just received their order of KT120's to check to see if we can use or not and we might be coming out with KT120 mono's or stereo amp in the future."

I just received this email from Alex yesterday regarding the EL156.

Hi Bill,

One good news, I have received samples of the new production EL156 tubes. They
quality looks very high and definitely an upgrade/improvement. Engineer is testing
and breaking them in. After that we will test them on M156 machines and see how it
goes.

So it seems the Shuguang factory has been doing some work on the EL156 tubes as this new version has promise. I realize this thread is about KT88's and the EL156 tube is not a
substitute for a KT88 but just saw this previous post and thought I had better reply.The original M156 mono's are in their 3rd generation.
 Regards,
 Bill

Freo-1

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:10 pm »
Let me put in a quick good word for the Canada Fuller KT88.  They are a step up from the Black Treasures, and are a top quality valve.  The QC on them seems excellent, matched bias sets, and a more open overall sound.

Worth looking into.

Steve

« Reply #63 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm »

It should be interesting how the KT120s compare to the EL-156s. The 120s will not directly sub for the 156s; biasing requirement is quite different. Transconductance is similar but Mu is half that of the 156.
However, the KT120 should bias close to KT88s.

As a side note, the 156s sound absolutely wonderful.
I hope the newest ones sound as good.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm by Steve »