What's your favorite tube amp?

ctviggen

Re: What's your favorite tube amp?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:45 pm »
Blair,

Have you listened to the MA-1's or other recent Atma-Sphere amps?

While I agree that the amps are inefficient and soak up the electricity, they are simply stunning to listen to.  They are not only my favorite tube amp, they are my favorite amp period.

[cut]

George

Are these Class A amps?  If so, the most efficient they can be is supposedly 25 percent efficient (that is, if the input is 100W, the maximum output is 25W; the rest is wasted).  At least, that's what I remember the rule being. 

The good thing is that there's no distortion near zero volts, as there might be in Class AB. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:06 pm »
Yep, 140 watts of pure Class A power.

To achieve that, the MA-1's pull 500 watts/chassis from the wall as soon as I turn them on.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:21 pm »

To achieve that, the MA-1's pull 500 watts/chassis from the wall as soon as I turn them on.

George

Awesome!  I'd actually be going green if I went to the MA-1's.  My Clayton's use 800w of power when I turn them on.  Yes, 800w each.

This is looking better and better.   :green:

acresm22

« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:33 pm »
I've never heard a 6V6 amp I haven't liked.  I've never heard 6V6 monoblocks I haven't loved  :inlove:

They just make sweet, sweet sounds.

If you can live with their typical 8watt output, they're dreamy :thumb:

John

I recal Sun Audio used to make a 6v6 amp, but who besides that? Or do you have to go vintage to hear good 6v6 sound?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
Yup - a lot of vintage amps used the 6V6...not so many new ones.

I've seen a few of the Chinese makes with them....and some others, too. Cannot remember of the top of my head who they be, tho :scratch:

Mapletree Audio makes 'em, I know: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/superstealth.htm

I haven't heard these in particular....but as mentioned, it's kinda' hard to screw up the great 6V6 sound.  I have fully updated Bell integrated monoblocks that are amazing.  I think they cost maybe $600 for the pair (a bit of transformer hum from one of them that won't go away and I'm not thrilled with their phono section).

But, the line section is the sweetest, most seductive I've ever heard in my system  :inlove:

John

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:07 pm »

George
Hello Mr.George,
I never own a tuber amp, just listen afew on friends house.  For my information on future shopping, please say tipically how much Kwatts is your electrical bill per mounth??

I fell Hi-End music is always Class A output, this mean alot of heat and alot of electric energy expenditure either SolidState or Tube amp, as Pass XA.5 or Atma-Sphere OTL etc...
Gustavo

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:52 pm »
Heathkit W5m monoblocks. :inlove: They've been extensively rebuilt and modified and sound very sweet indeed!

BTW speaking of 6L6 tubes....I originally used KT66s including Golden Lion reissues but now prefer the Russian 6P3S-E 6L6GC / 5881 coin base pictured below. Much cheaper too. :thumb:

gray49

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:01 pm »
Custom amp by Will Vincent...
Uses...807's/5933's---6SN7's/6SL7's---5AR4/I forget which rectifier was being used when the picture was shot...
Maybe 5 watts of sonic bliss...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
VTL monoblocks for me. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm »
Yup - a lot of vintage amps used the 6V6...not so many new ones.

I've seen a few of the Chinese makes with them....and some others, too. Cannot remember of the top of my head who they be, tho :scratch:

Mapletree Audio makes 'em, I know: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/superstealth.htm

Decware
http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

Quiet Earth

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:15 pm »
For a little more than five years I've been rediscovering music with my Audio Note Quest Silver Signature monoblocks. Time flies when you're having fun.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/amps_monoblock/quest_01.shtml

arthurs

« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm »
I sure do enjoy my pair of these....

But have also been feeling the bug to hear some OTL's in my system...maybe soon?  8)

Lyndon

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:20 pm »
Man, oh, man
Am I enjoying this thread.
Keep the tube candy coming, boys!
Lyndon

Jon L

« Reply #33 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:28 pm »
I haven't owned many tube amps but of the four I owned my favorite was the ASUSA K2003. A sweet little 4 watt per channel single ended El84 power amp with a volume control.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/k2003_e.html

Others I've owned in comparison; The ASUSA was sweeter and more musical to my ears.

Jolida 202a
Golden Tube SE40
Yarland FV34III

ASUSA looks very similar to one of my own favorites, Almarro A205a MkII, down to the 12AX7-EL84 layout. 

I love the Almarro mainly for its very simple design with quality parts, allowing every tweak, capacitor upgrade, tube sub, and modification to shine through. 

mgalusha

« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:31 pm »
What you really want to try is a circlotron, the OTL's close and much more efficient cousin.

Just an FYI, the Atma-Spehre OTL's are a circlotron.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:43 pm »
Just an FYI, the Atma-Spehre OTL's are a circlotron.

Here is a little blurb on the Atma-Sphere OTL's:  http://www.atma-sphere.com/papers/otl.html

Since others are posting pictures.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:46 pm »
Here is a little blurb on the Atma-Sphere OTL's:  http://www.atma-sphere.com/papers/otl.html

Since others are posting pictures.

George

:drool:  boing!!!   :oops:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:51 pm »
I sure do enjoy my pair of these....

But have also been feeling the bug to hear some OTL's in my system...maybe soon?  8)

Beautiful!!   :bowdown:

Art,

I hope you get to one day hear a pair of Atma-Sphere amps in your system so that can compare them to your killer VAC mono blocks.

While I haven't heard your specific amps, I spent a good amount of time with the earlier stereo version of your mono blocks and I know what a special amp that was.

George

arthurs

« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »
Beautiful!!   :bowdown:

Art,

I hope you get to one day hear a pair of Atma-Sphere amps in your system so that can compare them to your killer VAC mono blocks.

While I haven't heard your specific amps, I spent a good amount of time with the earlier stereo version of your mono blocks and I know what a special amp that was.

George

I am hoping the same George....I do have a guest room for you and your amps!   :eyebrows:

Whitese

« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:02 am »
i have 2 favourites at trhe moment.

Pilot 264 (7591) and AA-904 monos (6L6)