When to replace tubes?

NIGHTFALL1970

When to replace tubes?
« on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:58 am »
The JJ tubes in my AVA gear are about three years old.  When should I replace them?  Do you go by age or is there a way to tell if they need replacing?  My AVA gear is my first venture into tubes.  Should I just replace them every three years or do I use them until they croak?

thorman

Re: When to replace tubes?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2014, 10:47 am »
Do not take a chance .......If your in doubt, change them ASAP......The cost of a tube set is far less than a tube going out and taking something with it........You could send your tubes out and have them Tested, but being you got 3 years, I would do the amp first and them the preamp........

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2014, 11:31 am »
You can send them to TC Tubes (tctubes.com) for full testing.  If you're talking small tubes in their pres and hybrid amps you should get a lot more life out of them...maybe 8,000 to 10,000 hours, maybe more.  If you have an Ultravalve you probably would only get 3,000 to 5,000 hours out of your power tubes.  These numbers assume normal wear and aging.  A tube could blow at anytime (this is what Thorman is talking about) and testing might not show this kind of potential failure. But if you're talking preamp tubes (12**7s or 6DJ8s) you likely have lots of life left in them.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm »
Hi NIGHTFALL1970.
I want to back up the recommendation of Ericus Rex about TC Tubes.
I did business with them and they are the people to do business with.
You can contact Mr. Trevor or Mrs. Chelsea they are the owners.
In addition, it would not hurt if you mention Audio Circle forum.

Guy 13

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:45 pm »
It's Tyler and Chelsea...just to avoid any confusion.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:56 pm »
It's Tyler and Chelsea...just to avoid any confusion.

Hi Ericus Rex.
Sorry to bring confusion here with my Trevor,
I know it's a poor excuse,
but I was just writing to a supplier of mine that is called Trevor.
A chance you are here to fix up my mess... :thumb:
Thanks.

Guy 13

CSI

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
I suggest you call Frank at AVA and discuss it with him. He knows his gear better than anyone and will give you good advice.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I called Frank today and he said that if you don't hear excess noise or hiss, then don't worry about it.