Who is favorite tube vendor

tubeaudiolab

• Industry Participant
Who is favorite tube vendor
« on: 19 Oct 2013, 11:53 am »
Sorry this if topic has already been discussed, but I want to see who are your favorite NOS  tube vendors in the US or Canada. Those on eBay often seem hit or miss. I am looking for reasonable prices, a big inventory, and quality. The output tubes that I often buy/looking for are 45s, 2A3s, 300Bs, VT-25s, 50s, UX-245, UX-345, etc.

Thanks,

Min

Captainhemo

Re: Who is favorite tube vendor
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2013, 05:33 am »
I've heard lots of good  about   TC Tubes  http://tctubes.com/  and  Brent Jessie  http://www.audiotubes.com/

Although I haven't ordered from  either yet, I did   correspoind with  BJ  and he was very prompt and helpful.  Tried to order some CV4024 Mullards but he was out of stock at the time.

You may also want to   look at the   "Tube Vendors" sticky at the top of this circle

-jay

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2013, 11:17 am »
Hi,

I just bought purchased several tubes from Jim McShane and I found it good to deal with.  They weren't NOS but I do know that he offers many different types of tubes.

Regards Rod

starkiller

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:39 pm »
Jim McShane is superb as is Brent Jessie :thumb:

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 06:55 pm »
my vote goes to roger at ram labs/ music reference. he has taken grading and testing to a higher level than most. a few have tried to match  his grading and testing and have come up short.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2013, 07:20 pm »
Are his listed pwer tube prices per tube  ? 
If so,  that's a pretty big  premium for his  matching 

-jay

shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2013, 07:34 pm »
Are his listed pwer tube prices per tube  ? 
If so,  that's a pretty big  premium for his  matching 

-jay

Jay,

I was looking at Genelax KT77 on RAM website and was told that the price listed is per tube and I had to pass.

WireNut

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2013, 07:45 pm »

Jim McShane is superb as is Brent Jessie :thumb:

Having found two lawsuit allegations for Brent Jessie was enough to keep me away. I have no idea if the allegations are true or if it was ever resolved but it has been enough to make me look elsewhere. Does anyone know what happened with these lawsuits or if they are a bunch of BS?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brent-Jessee-Recording/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-60195/Brent-Jessee-Recording-CON-ARTIST-SELLS-JUNK-AUDIO-TUBES-BRENT-JESSE-RIPS-OFF-CUSTOMERS-BE-408482

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC/New-York-New-York-10022/BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC-RIPPED-OFF-BY-BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC-474840

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2013, 07:48 pm »
Shadowlight,   funny  ,  those are the  exact tubes I was looking at...
Jim McShjane sells a  quad for  $179   and he   tosses what  doesn't make "his cutr".  He also  adds his own pro reated warranty on top of the  90 day factory waranty.

Although Roger's matching may be superior,  I can't justify paying close to double what others are charging
-jay

minimus

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2013, 08:45 pm »
My favorite vendor is Andy of Vintage Tube Services.  He has an encyclopedic knowledge of tubes and state of the art testing equipment.  He costs more than eBay vendors but none of his tubes have ever failed me.

G E

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2013, 08:58 pm »

Having found two lawsuit allegations for Brent Jessie was enough to keep me away. I have no idea if the allegations are true or if it was ever resolved but it has been enough to make me look elsewhere. Does anyone know what happened with these lawsuits or if they are a bunch of BS?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Brent-Jessee-Recording/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-60195/Brent-Jessee-Recording-CON-ARTIST-SELLS-JUNK-AUDIO-TUBES-BRENT-JESSE-RIPS-OFF-CUSTOMERS-BE-408482

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC/New-York-New-York-10022/BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC-RIPPED-OFF-BY-BRENT-JESSEE-RECORDING-SUPPLY-INC-474840

Looks like bs, it dates from 2009.  In his own forum, Steve Hoffman mentioned he likes doing business with Jesse,  pretty good endorsement in my book.   Why not call Jesse and ask about it? 

G E

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:07 pm »
double post deleted

G E

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:09 pm »
My favorite vendor is Andy of Vintage Tube Services.  He has an encyclopedic knowledge of tubes and state of the art testing equipment.  He costs more than eBay vendors but none of his tubes have ever failed me.

A BIG +1

Have dealt with Andy several times.  He absolutely stands behind his tubes.  And he is lots of fun o talk to.

ge

rbwalt

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:06 am »
you get what you pay for.i will bet you dollars to donuts that no one has higher tube standards than roger. i will gladly pay a bit more knowing the quality of tubes he sells.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:38 am »
I have not purchased many tubes online. That being said, I emailed Jim McShane with my order and the model amp they were going in. Not only did he advise me against my choice, the tubes he recommended were less expensive that what I was going to buy.
For that reason, when I buy more tubes, I'll be buying from Jim.

Bob

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:17 am »
Not Tubedepot, my socket was damaged by package fault.
A great expert local tube broker with right prices passed away last years, so not easy found tested small tubes here. :-(((

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2013, 10:55 am »

Last I checked his state-of-the-art equipment was considered so back in the '40s.  What's he using now?

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm »
I have not purchased many tubes online. That being said, I emailed Jim McShane with my order and the model amp they were going in. Not only did he advise me against my choice, the tubes he recommended were less expensive that what I was going to buy.
For that reason, when I buy more tubes, I'll be buying from Jim.

Bob

Hi Bob,
The same thing happened to me.  He also threw in a free tube because he said the writing on the tubes I bought was not legible.  Great guy.  The tubes he recommended were perfect.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:05 pm »

Agree 100%.

charles

nature boy

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:18 pm »
Jim McShane :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NB