Happy Birthday to...

SET Man

Happy Birthday to...
« on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:58 am »
Hey!

My Welborne Labs "Apollo" SET Monoblocks!  :lol:

This past December 2011 marked 12th birthday of my SET amps. I bought them in December 1999 as kit of which I assembled them.

Yes, I do enjoy them still after all these years. Can't think of any SET or non SET amp around the same price I paid for these that I would want to replace them with.

The only down side of these amp now is that a pair of KR Audio 842VHD tubes will set me back a little over $1100... ouch! Good thing they last pretty long. But luckily I think Emission Lab make a direct sub   that cost almost half the price of KR Audio's. Look like I will try a pair when it is time to change tubes.

Aren't they pretty? :inlove:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Happy Birthday to...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:03 am »

.... :beer:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:21 pm »
Many happy returns!  :birthday:

And yes, those are beautiful looking amps.  :green:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:50 pm »
God help you, the twins will be teenagers soon.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:39 am »
Hey!

Many happy returns!  :birthday:

And yes, those are beautiful looking amps.  :green:
   Yup, many hours of joy with them the past 12 years for sure. I used to listen to music more often back than, I would say for the first 5-7 years. Now I'm average about 3-4 hours per day, 2-3 times a week.

So, overall I think I've spent 7500 hours listening to musics with them... maybe a bit more than that over the past 12 years. :D

God help you, the twins will be teenagers soon.

:lol: Yeah, let's hope they will still behave nicely like the past 12 yeas.

Chris/lonewolf.... you still have your KR Audio amp right?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2012, 05:56 am by SET Man »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:27 am »
Lovely pair of twins you have there. Don't look a day over 1. Good to hear they are still bringing you the enjoyment your efforts deserve. Nice build.

Happy Listening  8)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:59 am »
Chris/lonewolf.... you still have your KR Audio amp right?

Yes I do Buddy.... :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2012, 06:04 am »

So, I think overall I think I've spent 7500 hours listening to musics with them... maybe a bit more with them over the past 12 years. :D

Not all on the original tubes though . . .  or do they have that many hours on them too?

Edit: Oops! I remember now that you are on your second pair of output tubes. Still haven't tried the EMLs yet, eh?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2012, 06:09 am »

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2012, 01:30 am »
Not all on the original tubes though . . .  or do they have that many hours on them too?

Edit: Oops! I remember now that you are on your second pair of output tubes. Still haven't tried the EMLs yet, eh?

Hey!

Yes, I'm on my second pair of KR Audio 842VHDs. These should last me another 8 years... maybe more since I don't have much time to listen to music like back than, sad isn't it?  :( And I still have another pair of brand new KR Audio 842VHDs with 50 hours on them in the closet. I bought them before the price when up  :wink:

So, yeah I think I'm set for another decade or two  8). Still I would love to get a pair of the EMLs to try someday. It is good to know that I have alternative to the KR's :D

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2012, 01:52 am »
Hey Buddy...they sure do look purdy.  :icon_lol:
Well, whenever you get too busy to even turn on the system, I can always keep 'em warm for yah...can only imagine the sound on my ribbons, pure blisss?

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2012, 03:59 am »
Hey Buddy...they sure do look purdy.  :icon_lol:
Well, whenever you get too busy to even turn on the system, I can always keep 'em warm for yah...can only imagine the sound on my ribbons, pure blisss?

Hey!

Well, it is a very cold night tonight and they are keeping me warm right now  :D

But you are always welcome to visit them, just let me know... and we can have some Thai food while you are here  :wink:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb: