Is this possible with a iFi Audio iPower

sresener

Is this possible with a iFi Audio iPower
« on: 5 Mar 2019, 07:14 pm »
I recently sourced out a low power passively cooled computer to run my sml dac.
I ordered a linear power supply off of ebay and decided to buy a iFi Audio iPower 12V ahead of time so I could use my setup. This power supply is powering my pc. and it is connected to the dac via usb.

This is the linear power supply I ordered
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50W-DC-Linear-power-supply-voltage-regulator-DC-12V-3-5A-Upgrade-PSU-of-audio/143131403432?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Well the power supply showed up today and I was excited to try it out. I do a simple test to make sure the voltage is right and away I go.

Now I have been listening to my current setup for a couple weeks and myself and father in law are very familiar with my considerably better than expected sound quality.

First song I pump in is Jake owen "down to the honky tonk" normally there is a nice hard bass kick and his voice is clear, center stage and very up front. Bass was gone voice was burried.

Second song Gold dust woman, the excellent 3d sound stage gone, and her voice is scratchy it was horrible.

Is this possible is that linear power supply that horrible or is the ifi that good.

Can a power supply mess up audio quality on a pc that bad and any thoughts on what I can do besides throw the linear powersupply out.

sresener

Re: Is this possible with a iFi Audio iPower
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2019, 07:27 pm »
I did no burn in with the linear power supply, not sure if that would make a difference.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2019, 08:23 pm »
Thorston of IFIi  is the ultimate tweakster,so I iimagine what you are hearing is true. You might  burn it in a couple of weeks just to make sure.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2019, 08:51 pm »
The eBay power supplies are hit and miss. I only pay attention to ones that have been vetted by others, like zero zone and some others. It's possible for instance that current output isn't strong enough despite the claims. Or just poor quality components.

sresener

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2019, 01:38 am »
Well after a few hours of running the power supply things are getting better. Still not as nice but noticealby better.

This baffles me how it would effect data through a usb cable, When I read about stuff like this, I was always skeptical.

But It least im glad my brain isnt tricking me to think somthing is better just because it looks fancier or is more expensive. (wife confimed IFI sounds better)