Best 36" HDTV for under 1200?

warnerwh

« on: 24 Aug 2003, 10:52 pm »
After seeing a Panasonic 36 HDTV at Circuit City for 900 dollars it's looking like it's time for me to upgrade my Toshiba.  If someone is knowledgeable I'd appreciate the help. I bought this standard Toshiba 36" after trying to get a decent Sony Wega a couple of years ago and still want the flat screen, and Sony is not an option for me.  Please tell me what are the better standard size tube HDTV's, 36" please. Thanks

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2003, 11:47 pm »
I've not looked at anything in the last year or two other than the Loewe's. But you won't get a Loewe for under $1,200. I don't know the current prices on 4:3 HD capable sets so I can't really give you a specific recommendation.

But Panasonic does make a pretty decent tube. They seem to have a fairly green picture though. I'm not sure if it could be adujsted properly by user controls. I'd imagine you'd have to get into the service menu if you wanted it adjusted properly. It might not even bother you as most people don't even seem to notice.

Have you looked at any of Toshiba's current sets? Toshiba has done a great job on their 4:3 sets (though I can't say the same for their 34" 16:9) and I believe they're still made in the US. I'd have a Tosh first on the list, with a Panny second. Sure, a Sony would be as good or better than a Tosh, but they cost a whole lot more as I'm sure you already know.

scottpretti

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2003, 07:02 pm »
Sorry if this against forum rules :oops: , this is a great (true) HDTV set.  It will do 720P, it is 16:9.  I think Joe Kane (maker of Video Essentials) helped develop this set.  There is another thread at AVS devoted to the first issue at this price.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=291525

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2003, 07:07 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
Sorry if this against forum rules :oops: , this is a great (true) HDTV set.  It will do 720P, it is 16:9.  I think Joe Kane (maker of Video Essentials) helped develop this set.  There is another thread at AVS devoted to the first issue at this price.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=291525

Not sure how JohnR feels about people pointing to other forums, but I"m OK with it.  I think it makes our forum more valuable to allow it.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2003, 12:57 am »
Hey, as long as it's not an ad I'm all for it! :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Best 36" HDTV for under 1200?
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2003, 06:31 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
After seeing a Panasonic 36 HDTV at Circuit City for 900 dollars it's looking like it's time for me to upgrade my Toshiba.  If someone is knowledgeable I'd appreciate the help. I bought this standard Toshiba 36" after trying to get a decent Sony Wega a couple of years ago and still want the flat screen, and Sony is not an option for me.  Please tell me what are the better standard size tube HDTV's, 36" please. Thanks
             Pray tell, why is Sony not an option? Considering IMHO, they`re the best HDready display device out there, it should be on top of your short list. Prices online for Sony`s have dropped quite a bit in recent years and a set equal/better than  my 36XBR400 that I paid $2500 can be had for around $1600 now. I`ve had my Sony ISF-calibrated twice now because of age and power conditioning upgrades that throw any set out of calibration. Hell, I even installed an IEC terminal in the back to upgrade the power cord. Sweet tweak! Reconsider the Sony! :idea: Regards, Robin

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2003, 06:38 am »
Robin,

While I'll agree that the digital Sony's are very good at displaying sources that have digital sources (DVD, etc.), I can't say they do so well with analog sources (LD, VHS, non-digital cable). I'm guessing that they've not bothered making the analog to digital converter worth a damn.

Though just about everyone else is in the same boat. Which is one of the reasons I'm very fond of the 16:9 Loewe's. Not only are digital sources displayed better than anyone else's sets, but the analog sources are displayed incredibly well too.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2003, 06:46 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Robin,

While I'll agree that the digital Sony's are very good at displaying sources that have digital sources (DVD, etc.), I can't say they do so well with analog sources (LD, VHS, non-digital cable). I'm guessing that they've not bothered making the analog to digital converter worth a damn.

Though just about everyone else is in the same boat. Which is one of the reasons I'm very fond of the 16:9 Loewe's. Not only are digital sources displayed better than anyone else's sets, but the analog sources are displayed incredibly well too.
                  Wrong,,,,,, I did feel that same way tho after going from the XBR250 to the 400. Analog color decoder SUCKED! But then I had the set ISF-calibrated, brought analog back bigtime. Then got the BPT= more bigtime,,,, Bybee`s==MORE, another ISF-calibration===THERE! Bolder Bybee S-Video adapter~~~~ HD ANALOG! Blows digital ALL TO HELL. Now acual high definition,,, well that`s a different playing field. :lol:  Regards, Robin

warnerwh

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2003, 06:15 am »
The reason the Sony is not viable is because I'm personally one of the people with horror stories about their brand new Wega.  The tech came over and said it was a bad tube so I took it back to Best Buy.  But that's after I read about the feedback on Wega's on audioreview.com.  This was 2 years ago. There were far too many bad reviews to take them lightly.  Won't risk it again. Have had great luck with Toshiba and may pay the premium for it but the Panasonic at 900 dollars seems tempting. I will wait til this winter as now I'm upgrading (trying tubes) my stereo system.  Sales should abound right after Christmas. Thanks to everyone for the help.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2003, 06:43 am »
Well that explains everything Warner and I can`t say as I blame ya. I was a member of this Sony Wega Yahoogroups a while back and I grew accustomed to hearing the same pattern of bad circuitboards and such but I`ve had nothing but good luck with my XBR`s, I`m on my third one. I don`t know if it helped any (bs, I know :wink:) but a month after breaking in my present HD-ready XBR400, I had the set ISF-calibrated. The Sony`s light output is set so high from the factory that it`s burning itself up from the get go. (true for most sets I`m afraid) Then with the addition of balanced power & Bybee`s a year later and another recent ISF-calibration, the sets power supply has never had it so easy. IMHO, whatever you get Warner, I would highly recommend a solid power conditioner/ then a ISF-calibration to get the most performance out of your display device. :D  PS, Bybee`s DO work wonders on video, be it component /S-video, whatever. I`m a very lucky man to have them in my system as my pockets aren`t deep, just empty. :lol: Good luck! Regards, Robin