Two Questions on AVRs

Doublej

Two Questions on AVRs
« on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm »
I am looking to get an AVR for my setup. I don't need anything fancy, in fact I will be using it to drive two speakers. I want something that sounds good, is reliable, and has a good internet radio streaming capability.

1. Has anyone compared the sound quality of the current generation mass market AVRS? If so did you hear any significant differences between brands?

2. I read a review on Amazon regarding the HK AVR1700 in which the reviewer said the radoiharmankardon site which the VTuner online station interface was pretty bad. Do different brands have different VTuner station interfaces or are all brands likely to be the same?

Right now the brands in the running are HK, Denon and Yamaha.

Phil A

Re: Two Questions on AVRs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm »
I guess one question would be if you intend to drive more than 2 speakers?  If so, why not consider a stereo receiver or integrated amp.  You can also buy an internet radio tuner.  accessories4less.com has some deals and you can pick up an authorized factory refurb with extended warranty for around dealer cost.  So the next question would be budget?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm »
I would say there is a difference in sound quality between the models.  I bought an entry level Denon a number of years ago.  I still have it and it still sucks for music.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2013, 11:24 pm »
I was considering an Onkyo TX-8050 which has built in Vtuner but Onkyo has been having HUGE quality issues as of late. The problem with Internet streamers is that I can't find one that gets half decent reviews. I could go with a 2 channel receiver or integrated and add a Roku box but then I am forced to use a tablet to control it. Ditto with Apple TV. This would require me to buy an Ipad so it's a non starter.

The other issue/question on Onkyo is the TX-NR515 is only $50 more and gives me video switching and Audyssey, etc. The question is will it sound worse than the 8050. Both are spec'd the same at 80 watts.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:42 am »
The key hear is budget, how much are you looking to spend? The HK AVR 1700 is $300 on Amazon, in that price range you are very limited and sound quality may be pretty iffy, regardless of model. Another factor will be the speakers you're planning to drive with this AVR. If they are 4 ohm or low efficiency speakers  most inexpensive mass market AVRs will struggle.

If the budget will stretch to $400, the Yamaha RX-V473 might be a good option. It's 5.1, has reasonable power, built-in network capability, Yamaha's room correction, etc. The Denon 1613 would also be an option at the $400 price point. If you're looking at something a little off the beaten path, the Marantz NR1403 is also in the price range.

Under $400 I personally would stick with Yamaha, simply because I've owned a lot of entry level Yamaha gear in the past and it always was reliable and relatively well built. You should also look at Audiogon, US Audio mart and other used equipment sites. Network connectivity has been around for a few years and there are some used network receivers available.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:19 am »
I am looking to keep it under $400 unless for $100-$200 more you get a quantum improvement in sound quality. Speakers are easy to drive 8 ohm 88dB efficiency.

Best Buy currently has the HK AVR1700 for $200. I can find the Yamaha RX-V473 or Denon AVR-1613 refurbished units for around $300 delivered. I can find the Marantz 1402 for $150 but no network capability which means another box is required for streaming internet radio. The latest model the 1403 has no network capability either.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:20 am »
double post

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:46 am »
I have a denon 2113ci.  The Pandora interface is not very good.  It works fine, except its not visually appealing. It has album art, beside that it reminds me of ms-dos, if you're old enough to remember that. Having said that, if it were my only access to Pandora, I could live with it. But I also have it on my Roku, TiVo, and bluray.

I should add that this is through the TV using the denon remote control- it may look completely different when using an android app or a web browser.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
rif,

Have you compared the quality of Pandora with using the Denon, Tivo and bluray as the sources? Any significant difference?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:26 pm »
I haven't noticed a difference but I've only been using it for a few weeks and I'm not a critical listener for the most part. I believe it streams 128k mp3 to all devices, but it sounds better than that. I don't know why.

I can't log in through bluray for some reason. The devices are hooked up through HDMI, where does the processing occur, denon or device? Or maybe it's a device setting. The TiVo also has an optical spdif output so that might give some flexibility.

If I have a chance this week, I'll try comparing them using some good headphones.

this_is_vv

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2013, 03:01 pm »
I was looking into to the HK because I like the look and the price but the review I have seen are quite poor.  Sound quality doesn't seem that good.

Fwiw is worth Cnet gave the Denon 1912 an award for best sounding avr in 2012.  The reviewers there were quite positive on the Denon sound in general...

lacro

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2013, 05:28 pm »
I recently got a new TV, and Blueray player. I wanted to be able to use HDMI connectivity so I decided to retire my old H&K receiver. After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion I have always known: I like the warm sound of Marantz amps. Also, I now feel "Less is more" when it comes to receivers. I don't need/want all the bells and whistles on the full size receivers.

The Marantz 1403 fit my criteria so I took a chance. I have had it about a month now, and I am totally blown away by the sound quality. I didn't really expect great sound from any receiver, but my 2 channel listening experience is the best I have ever had. I am using old 1980's vintage Paradigm 5SE mark3 series speakers, 8 ohm, 90 db. They have never sounded this good. I had expected to use this receiver mostly for HT, and build a better 2 channel system for music, but I am seriously rethinking this.

I use my PC connected via HDMI, or my Bluray player to stream Pandora One. The sound is excellent from both sources even though it is slightly different from each. The BR even sounds great with CD's I ran Audyssey for my 5.1 and it did a great job. When I am not directly in front of my mains (2 channel) I fill the room with 5 channel music. I haven't tried HT yet as I am enjoying music too much to bother. 50 WPC is plenty power for me. The volume is set 0-100. I have it set to max at 80 as I only ever listen between 50-65.

The reason I buy any piece of sound equipment is the actual sound quality, not all the connectivity available. In that regard the 1403 Marantz delivers way more than I expected! Compared to what you can get in this price range, this receiver seems over priced, but I don't think you will easily beat the SQ.

Pros:
size
lack of connectivity (Less is More)
dead silent
runs cool
most of all... superb sound quality!

Cons:
Wish it had one more optical in

If you can get a 1402 (older model) for $150, I don't see how you could go wrong. You will have plenty of $ left to find a devise to suit your internet radio needs.

Larry

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:00 pm »
I am looking to keep it under $400 unless for $100-$200 more you get a quantum improvement in sound quality. Speakers are easy to drive 8 ohm 88dB efficiency.

Check out Accessories4Less. They specialize as an authorized reseller of factory refurbs, but they also have new and occasionally open box items. New models come with the standard manufacturer's warranty and refurbs also come with a manufacturer's warranty, but it's shorter.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:31 pm »
Check out Accessories4Less. They specialize as an authorized reseller of factory refurbs, but they also have new and occasionally open box items. New models come with the standard manufacturer's warranty and refurbs also come with a manufacturer's warranty, but it's shorter.

That's where I'd go / buy.  They have a Marantz 1602 slim line receiver for $400 that should sound good and have the internet / network features you want + good sound quality.  For $100 more there's the SR5006, which is basically the same as the 1602, but with a more powerful amp section (50WPC vs 100WPC nominal).  The SR5006 is not "slim line", but for the $100 more, I'd got for the SR5006.

I have both a Marantz SR5005 & and an AV7005 - they both have quite good sound quality.  I like the M-DAX "audio expansion circuitry" feature of the AV7005 for internet radio (the 1602 & 5006 will have this as well).  Usually I'd shun these electronic processing effects, but for lower bit rate internet audio, it does help to make it more listenable.

Another nice thing is that these Marantz models have an i-device app as well, if you ever go down that route.  It's not the most graceful piece of software, but it beats having to use the small screen on the receiver. The app doesn't seem to be able to control Pandora, but it does work with internet radio (whether radiomarantz or any other internet radio station).  It's still much better than having to use the small screen on the receiver, or having to turn on the TV to search / choose etc internet radio. And it also has Airplay, if you did get a i-device or something else that supports it, which is a nice feature to have.

So in sum, I'd say that either the 1602 or 5006 from accessories4less would be great options.  Aside from Marantz, I would say at your budget the next best options would be models from Yamaha, then perhaps Pioneer.  I think Denon / Onkyo tend to the brighter "HD" sound more suited perhaps for home theater vs music, whereas Marantz, Yamaha & some Pioneer tend more towards a "warmer" / "musical" sound.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm »
If you do decide to go denon, check out electronics-expo.  They often have open box deals and online coupons. I got my new, open box denon 2113ci for less than the refurb price at accesoriesforless.

Also, for what its worth, denon and marantz are owned by the same company, d&m holdings.

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:00 am »
Thanks everyone. I knew that Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company. I wonder how much of their AVR designs are shared between the two brands.

The characterization of sounds of brands is helpful. Has me leaning towards the Yamaha at the moment.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:08 am »
According to my dealer, Denon is for those looking for the most features for the money, whereas Marantz is more for those with a sound quality emphasis.  At least that's how he pitches them.  "Under the hood" I wonder how similar they are.  Marantz does also have a very high end & pricey audio only line which is well regarded, though I don't know how much of that trickles down to their more mass market stuff.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:10 am »
The onscreen setup, etc. look very similar (denon 2113ci vs marantz sr6006 iirc). What marantz calls m-dax, denon had what appears similar called restorer.  Do they share the same audio circuitry? Who knows.

Check out the official pages for screen shot- that should help.  Better yet compare them at crutchfield or amazon.

geowak

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:16 am »
Marantz for sure. I have had Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz receivers. The Marantz was the best. And so was the older 2230 model.