Feedback from Capital AudioFest 2019

Triode Pete

Re: Feedback from Capital AudioFest 2019
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2019, 07:19 pm »
A Fantastic Review & A Fantastic Award from Audio Resurgence!

https://audioresurgence.com/2019/11/qln-innuos-vinnie-rossi-and-triode-wire-labs-show-report-from-capital-audiofest-2019.html

QLN, Innuos, Vinnie Rossi and Triode Wire Labs

I was pretty excited when I saw that QLN were going to be at the show this year and even more so when I saw that they were partnered up with Innuos and Vinnie Rossi.

It’s pretty rare to see anything from QLN this side of the pond, they’re a manufacturer of fine loudspeakers based in Sweden, and I think it’s fair to say that they’ve never really gained any traction here in the USA.

I’m interested in QLN because I actually own a pair –
purchased new from a dealer in Manchester U.K and transported to the US when I relocated here over 20 years ago.

My pair are the QLN Signature Splitfield II, an elegant stand-mount with top quality drivers and an outboard crossover filled with high quality parts.
Anyway, to see these paired at the show with Innuos and Vinni Rossi was a real treat, as all three of these brands interest me for different reasons. Also, I’ve been reading quite a bit about Triode Wire Labs recently, they have a USB cable that I’d like to get my hands on for review – the cable is a split power and data design, which while not unique, appears to have been well executed.

So, I was full of anticipation on entering this room, and boy was I amazed at the sound these guys were getting!

The setup included the QLN Prestige Three SE ($12K), Vinni Rossi L2 Signature Edition Integrated Amp (L2i-SE $19K), Innuos Statement Music Server ($13.75K), a GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+ power conditioner ($10K) with Triode Wire Labs’ “Obsession NCF” power cords ($1.4K), “American Speaker Cables” ($700) and “Discrete” USB cable (not the split power/data model).

With the QLN’s pulled well out into the room and toed-in towards the center listening seat, the sound was utterly transparent, natural and cohesive and with a midrange purity of tone that few systems at the show could match.

The soundstage was incredibly deep, wide and layered, dissolving the room boundaries in all directions.  The ability of this system to render 3-dimensional images was outstanding, with the reproduction of human voice utterly lifelike and palpable.

The speakers are designed for a medium sized room, as was this room, and in this space the bass was accurate, tight, agile  and satisfyingly extended.
In fact there wasn’t really anything I could pick out as an obvious weakness.

So kudos to QLN, Innuous and Vinni Rossi for a fantastic sounding system!!

And if you’re wondering how such an enthusiastic endorsement can be made about any system set up in a hotel bedroom – all I can say is that had any component within this system imparted any of its own negative sonic flavoring, it would have been ruthlessly exposed by the revealing nature of the excellent QLN Prestige Three SE.

Which brings me to a point that occurred to me as I was getting ready to wrap up for the day on Friday. It’s really tough to make a judgement on cable performance at an audio show, when pretty much everything you hear emanates from a combination of equipment that you’ve probably never heard before, and it’s all happening in a room that you know is far from ideal.

But I know from my many years’ experience with QLN speakers that they thrive and come alive only when fed by high quality components working synergistically with top quality cables. Yet I’ve had a lot of different high-end gear hooked-up to my QLN’s over the years and they’ve never delivered quite the same degree of sonic transparency that I heard at the show. That tells me everything I need to know about the electronics, and just as importantly, the wire. As far as my ears are concerned, the Triode Wire Labs’ cables imparted no sonic signature of their own on the sound of this system, and took nothing at all away. This impression was supported later in the show when I encountered other top performing systems with…. low and behold…. Triode Wire Labs’ cables.

So I’m dishing out my first award for a manufacturer at Capital Audiofestand it was the easiest award decision I’ve had to make.

Thanks so much!!!

Cheers,
Pete

PS - Triode Wire Labs was in a crazy FIVE rooms at Capital AudioFest, Rooms 309 & 316 with my normal "partners in audio crime", Volti Audio, featuring their flagship "Vittora" (Room 316) & baby brother "Rival" (Room 309) loudspeakers and BorderPatrol Audio, featuring their acclaimed sublime Control Unit, 300B amplifiers and analogue sounding DACs! We will also featured Innuos music servers.

For a second time, we partnered with fellow AC Sponsor Daedalus Audio in Room 516. Lou featured his Muse/Studio speaker. BorderPatrol Audio provided their 300B amplifier and analogue sounding DAC! We also featured my personal Innuos music server (ZENith Mk. 3).

I teamed up again with another "partner on audio crime" and fellow AC Sponsor, Vinnie Rossi, in Room 528, along with Mark Sossa of Well Pleased AV. Vinnie had his new, beautiful L2i-SE integrated amp coupled with QLN Prestige Three SE loudspeakers and an Innuos Statement Music Server.

Finally, I'm also teamed up once again with Greg Takesh from GT Audio Works and Sound Insight's Steve Rabitz. We were in the huge Frederick Room again. Greg had his full range planar ribbon speakers with Pass Labs electronics, Esoteric K-01X SACD player and Basis Turntable.

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2019, 03:59 pm by Triode Pete »

Triode Pete

« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2019, 03:55 pm »
Another great review from Audio Resurgence!

https://audioresurgence.com/2019/11/gt-audioworks-at-capital-audiofest-2019.html

GT Audio Works / Pass Labs / Basis Audio

This was actually the first room I walked into at the 2019 Capital Audiofest. After a 3 hour drive, quick check-in at the Even Hotel across the street, a half-decent latte at the Hilton Starbucks, a chat with Dr. Kirmuss (Record Cleaners), a brief look at the various vinyl and CD Vendors in the Atrium, I was ready for a sit down and a listen to some music!

I’m a sucker for a good planar speaker. Though not all necessarily a true planar design, I’ve owned Quad’s, Apogees, Magnepan and Carver Amazing Platinum speakers, at one time or another, and listened to many others.
It was perhaps a little unfortunate that the GT Audio Works was the first room that I hit-up, as they set an unbelievably high standard and level of expectation for the rest of the show.

Presented here by Steve Rabitz, VP of sales at ‘Sound Insight’ NY, the GT Audio Works planar quasi-ribbon speakers were supported by either side by a GT Audio Works open-baffle active modular subwoofer system with a MSRP starting at $7000 but considerably more for what was in use here. The main speakers, the GTA 3.1R have a MSRP of $23,500

Driving the GTA 3.1R was $65 grand’s worth of power amplification from Pass Labs; and upfront sources included the $140,000+ Turntable package of Basis Transcendence, Basis Superarm and My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent Ex Cartridge. Leaving the last few bucks from your lottery win for the phonostage and preamp – also from Pass Labs (add another $90K).

Not mentioned very prominently, cabling, I was learned later in the show, was provided by Triode Wire Labs, who earned my award for best cables at the show!

Well enough of the preamble….this system sounded fantastic, as it should. The sound was warm, bold, holographic, dynamic and with the unmistakable midrange presence that only a good planar design can pull off.

In some ways I was disappointed that GT Audio Works chose such a high standard of supporting equipment. At $23K without subs, the GTA 3.1R is within grasp for a lot of us operating at the lower end of the higher end market ( huh?), but with well north of $300K on supporting gear, it put the system as a whole well out of reach. I think it might have been beneficial to assemble more of a ‘real-world’ system to demonstrate the undoubted prowess of the GT Audio Works speaker system, and I seriously doubt that too much speaker performance would have been left behind on the table.
Anyway, a great sound and a great way to get initiated at the 2019 Capital Audiofest.

Thanks, AR!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2019, 06:53 pm »
Some additional feedback from Part Time Audiophile's Eric Franklin Shook...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/30/volti-audio-triode-wire-labs-borderpatrol-audio-innuos-pi-audio-caf-2019/

Volti Audio, Triode Wire Labs, BorderPatrol Audio Electronics, Innuos, PI Audio | CAF 2019

WASHINGTON DC (PTA) — The three amigos are back together again. Volti Audio showing horn loudspeakers, Triode Wire Labs showing the wire, BorderPatrol Audio Electronics supplying the electronics.

The Story

The Vittora loudspeaker is a fully horn-loaded, three-way, high-efficiency, low-distortion speaker system that is equal parts art and instrument. The cabinet structure is all Baltic Birch Plywood in construction. Veneers are real wood, finishes are satin lacquer, and everything is hand-made in Tennessee USA. The Volti Audio Vittora are built to last 100-years or more, and look good doing it.

The Vittora system is a five-piece set that includes two top horn sections (each with a midrange horn and a tweeter horn), two folded bass horns and a single Extended Low-Frequency (ELF) cabinet. The ELF’s bass comes from the 15-inch woofer loaded into a folded horn. The ELF covers low frequencies from 50Hz down to 25Hz confidently.

The main Vittora speakers are three-way loudspeakers, they operate in full-range, and at 104dB sensitivity present little challenge to amplifiers. Along with the added ELF bass cabinet, the Vittora is technically a four-way system. The current manufacturer-direct price for the Vittora horn-speaker system is $29,900 USD. This includes two bass horns, two top-hat mid/tweeter horn cabinets, and one ELF cabinet.

BorderPatrol makes a range of tube power amplifiers that use the ever-popular 300B triode in single-ended, parallel single-ended and push-pull configurations with power outputs ranging from 9 to 20W/channel. All models use inter-stage transformers to couple the driver tube to the 300B’s and have no negative feedback to maximise resolution and preserve signal integrity. The audio chassis are composed of non-magnetic materials and the higher priced EXD versions use copper chassis parts and inter-stage and output transformers that have undergone deep cryogenic treatment.

Each BorderPatrol design features a heavy external power supply units (PSU). The parallel dual-mono designs, like the P20EXD we had on-hand at Capital Audiofest 2019, features two PSU’s, one for each channel. Mounting the PSU’s externally not only keeps the weight and size of the amplifiers manageable, it keeps the hard working iron and its electric fields away from the sensitive audio circuitry. It also allows a degree of power supply elaboration and sophistication into the design.

Each PSU contains three independent tube rectified, choke input filter high voltage supplies to independently feed the 300B’s, the input/driver tubes and the negative bias supply, together with filament supplies for the 300B’s and small signal tubes.

The Border Patrol P20EXD is a dual-mono tube amplifier. Featuring two 300B output triodes per channel, in a push-pull configuration giving 20-Watts per channel. The P20EXD features the previously mentioned dual-external power supply units.

The Sound

This time, unlike the last — I’m aware of the ELF bass cabinet being in the room from the outright. However it blends so seamlessly, that I hate it. I should be able to audibly highlight the hand-off edges of its contributions but I can’t. I know what the Vittoras sound like without the ELF and at the end of the day, I must say the ELF really does a lot that isn’t noticeable until it’s missing from the system.

The Vittoras are snappy and exciting loudspeakers. They command your attention and bring the music into sharp focus. The greatest feat of these horn loudspeakers is that they don’t sound like horns. They have scale for days, distant planes depth in the soundstage, and occasionally the ability to reach forward into the listening space as well. That is a unique attribute.

The P20EXD stereo amplifier should be the star of the show on the electronics side. It’s 20-Watts of tube power is wildly detailed and rich with color and tone. However, I can’t help but be wowed with the DAC SE as it is everything I want from a DAC. Obviously my list is short, because I want a DAC to sound like analog music and that’s what the BorderPatrol DAC SE does for me.

The System

BorderPatrol

– DAC SE Tube Digital-to-Analog Converter – $1,895 USD

– P20EXD Stereo Power Amplifier – $20,650 USD (as shown)

Volti Audio

– Vittora Horn Loudspeaker System (includes single ELF) – $29,900 pr USD

Innuos

– PhoenixUSB Reclocker

– Zenith Music Server

PI Audio

– UberBUSS Power Distribution Box

All cabling by Triode Wire Labs

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:00 am »
More feedback from TWL Room #5 from CAF!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/12/03/daedalus-audio-borderpatrol-audio-triode-wire-labs-innuos-caf-2019/

Daedalus Audio, BorderPatrol Audio, Triode Wire Labs, Innuos | CAF 2019

WASHINGTON DC (PTA) — “Familiar Brands, New Experience” would be how I would slogan-ize this Capital Audiofest exhibit room if such a thing existed. It’s Daedalus Audio loudspeakers, BorderPatrol Audio tube electronics, Triode Wire Labs cables, Innuos serving up the digital.

The Story

Daedalus Audio was showing their newest version of the Muse loudspeaker, dubbed the Muse Studio. The Muse Studio is an upgraded version of the three-way point source loudspeaker that sits one click above the Muse in price, making it the second most affordable model in the Daedalus line-up at just under $11K.

The Muse Studio is a floor-standing three-way design that loads the drivers into the front baffle in a way to achieve the kind of point source sound often heard with two-way loudspeakers, however without all of the compromises made when going the two-way route. Ideal for smaller listening rooms, though I’d imagine what we consider “smaller” may vary. They include front porting so as to make speaker placement near room boundaries more friendly to the sound.

The crossover network for the Muse Studio model is sourced from within the Daedalus family of loudspeakers and comes directly from the Athena three-way model. The choice to hand down this crossover was made because it provided more definition and accuracy across the spectrum in research comparisons against the stand Muse model.

Being a point source loudspeaker, the Muse Studio would be a more honest choice for those looking to create a solid stereo image and soundstage within a difficult or oddly shaped listening space. In less than idealistic room situations you’d likely notice the Muse Studio interacts more with the listener than it does the room.

Along with the new Muse Studio, came the Daedalus Isolation Devices that were incorporated throughout the system. They included DiD isolation devices for components and loudspeakers, and also the new SS/Brass Spikes, which combine different metals for cancellation of resonances, and include threaded brass leveling collars for dialing in loudspeaker yaw, pitch, and roll when on uneven surfaces.

From BorderPatrol the P20 a model of tube power amplifier that uses the ever-popular 300B triode. Available in single-ended, parallel single-ended and push-pull configurations with power outputs ranging from 9 to 20W/channel. All P20 models use inter-stage transformers to couple the driver tube to the 300B’s and have no negative feedback to maximize resolution and preserve signal integrity. The chassis are composed of non-magnetic materials and the higher priced EXD version (as shown) uses copper chassis parts and inter-stage and output transformers that have undergone deep cryogenic treatment.

The BorderPatrol P20 models feature external power supply units (PSU). The parallel dual-mono design features two PSUs, one for each stereo channel. Encasing the PSU’s externally keeps the weight and size of the amplifiers manageable. It also keeps the hard working iron (and its electric fields) away from sensitive audio circuitry. Using the available space of larger external PSU chassis’ also allows for a degree of design elaboration and sophistication.

Each PSU contains three independent tube rectifiers: choke input filter (high voltage) supplies to independently feed the 300B’s, input/driver tubes, and the negative bias supply, along with filament supplies for the 300B’s and small signal tubes.

The Sound

Once again, I’m impressed with something Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio has set out to improve upon. The Muse Studio loudspeakers perform as advertised. The point source is real. The front port presents bass in a way that avoids what these Rockville Hilton hotel rooms are known for, specifically the 55Hz bass hump.

Electronically the bargain SE-i USB DAC continues to astonish. It’s a minimalist non-oversampling R2R digital-to-analog converter that is simple, if not entirely retro, that is built out to provide a seriously insightful and romantic sound that makes digital sound less digital. Bravo!

The System

Daedalus Audio

– Muse/Studio Loudspeakers – $10,850 pr USD

– DiD-SPK – starting at $45 ea USD

– SS/Brass Spikes w/Brass Leveling – $32 ea USD

– DiD Component Isolation Devices – starting at $480 set USD

BorderPatrol Audio

– SE-i USB DAC Digital-to-Analog Converter – $1,350 USD

– P20EXD Dual Mono 300B Amplifier – $17,500 USD

Triode Wire Labs

– High Power Digital American Power Cord – starting at $699 USD

– Digital American Power Cord – starting at $499 USD

– Spirit II RCA Interconnects – starting at $399 USD

– American Speaker Cables – starting at $699 USD

– Split Power & Data USB Cable – starting at $349 USD

Innuos

– ZENith Mk. III Music Server (4TB) – $4,249 USD

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:40 am »
A video of the Vinnie Rossi, Triode Wire Labs, QLN & Innuos room from AV Showrooms...

https://youtu.be/7m3hgmpfeBE

Thanks Peter B!

Triode Pete

« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2019, 11:09 pm »
Best of Show from Part Time Audiophile's Eric Franklin Shook!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/12/07/erics-best-of-show-capital-audiofest-wrap-up-caf-2019/

Eric’s Best-of-Show, Capital Audiofest Wrap-Up | CAF 2019

The Best-of-Show

The Best Large Room Sound
GT Audio Works showstopping sound, along with Basis Audio, My Sonic Lab, Pass Labs, Esoteric, Innuos, Triode Wire Labs | CAF 2019

Once again, I’m in the role of converting the convinced. I feel like it’s my calling in life sometimes, and once more it’s with Dave McNair, who previously had to eat his “open-baffle bass isn’t for me” words the day before. This time it’s not passive, it’s active and servo controlled. Oh boy! We’re greeted at the door by Greg Takesh of GT Audio Works. It’s Greg’s unique planar/ribbon loudspeakers and open-baffle servo controlled sub-woofers that we are here to experience. They are built completely by hand, in-house, and at his production facilities in Stockholm, New Jersey.

The planars are as large as you would imagine them to be in photos, and feature a full-range crossover-less planar that is mechanically harnessed into its operating frequencies. The outer (and slimmer) ribbon tweeter is electronically crossed in to complement and extend the planar. Overall sensitivity for the ribbon/planar portion is rated at 93db at 4-ohms with a frequency response covering 40hz-35khz, and doing so without blinking an eye. The open-baffle sub-woofers operate from 15hz-65hz and include a user adjustable electronic crossover built into the provided amplifier. The open baffle subs are designed to blend seamlessly with the dipole planars. They are configurable for 2 -6 12″ sub-modules per channel. Allowing consistent results in rooms from small to large.

(Here's the full review... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/06/gt-audio-works-showstopping-sound-along-with-basis-my-sonic-lab-pass-labs-esoteric-innuos-triode-wire-labs-caf-2019/)

The Honorable Mentions (Photos)

(Room 316 - Triode Wire Labs, BorderPatrol, Volti Audio - Vittora)

(Room 516 - Triode Wire Labs, Daedalus Audio, BorderPatrol)

(Room 309 - Triode Wire Labs, BorderPatrol, Volti Audio - Rival)

Thanks, Eric!!!

Cheers,
Pete

KLH007

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2019, 12:24 am »
Great show Pete!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2019, 12:27 am »
GT is one of the better rooms at CAF.

Triode Pete

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2020, 03:08 pm »
Happy New Year! A CAF Video Review of the Frederick Room, just released yesterday! (Last, but not Least! LOL!)... https://youtu.be/7UrZTATLStM

It's a great Capital AudioFest video review by AV Showrooms, Peter Breuninger...

I think I had more cables in this room at Capital AudioFest then the OTHER FOUR Rooms (Rooms 309, 316, 516 & 528) combined... LOL! Several pairs of my "American" speaker cables, my power cords, ranging from my lowest cost "Twelve Plus" to the Statement "Obsession NCF"... all of my Analogue interconnects, single-ended "Spirit II" RCA's, "Spirit II" Phono RCA's, Balanced "Spirit II" XLR interconnects... all my Digital Cables, the "Split Power & Data" USB, "Discrete" USB, "Freedom" ethernet, "Spirit 75" S/PDIF cable, etc...

Luckily, the guys running the room, Steve Rabitz (Sound Insights) & Greg Takesh (GT Audio Works), owned about 90% of the TWL cables used and were nice enough to bring them with them! Thanks, guys! Especially Steve, who's the VP of Sales at Sound Insights... He has almost every brand of high end cable available to him and he uses my TWL cables in his reference system at home and at all the shows! Cheers!

Here's the other equipment in the Frederick Room -

Basis
– Transcendence Turntable – $115,000 USD
– Superarm Tonearm – $15,750 USD

My Sonic Lab
– Ultra Eminent Ex Cartridge – $7,000 USD

GT Audio Works
– GTA3.1R Planar/Ribbon speakers – $23,500 pr USD
– Open-Baffle Active Modular Sub-woofer System – starting at $7,000 USD
(with sub-woofer amplifiers included)

Pass Labs
– XS Phono Stage – $45,000 USD
– XS Line Stage – $45,000 USD
– XS 150 Monoblocks – $65,000 pr USD

Esoteric
– K01xs SACD player – $22,000 USD

Innous
– Zen Mk3 server – $3000 USD

All cabling by Triode Wire Labs!

Cheers,
Pete

KLH007

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jan 2020, 07:55 pm »
Congratulations Pete, and well deserved! That room at 2019 CAF was in my top 3 rooms and was just startlingly real sounding and I hung out just to hear some new music, outstanding effort from you, Steve, and Greg!
Kemper

Triode Pete

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm »
Congratulations Pete, and well deserved! That room at 2019 CAF was in my top 3 rooms and was just startlingly real sounding and I hung out just to hear some new music, outstanding effort from you, Steve, and Greg!
Kemper

Thanks, Kemper! I appreciate your kind accolades!

Cheers,
Pete

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2020, 07:37 am »
Some additional feedback from Part Time Audiophile's Eric Franklin Shook...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/30/volti-audio-triode-wire-labs-borderpatrol-audio-innuos-pi-audio-caf-2019/

Volti Audio, Triode Wire Labs, BorderPatrol Audio Electronics, Innuos, PI Audio | CAF 2019

WASHINGTON DC (PTA) — The three amigos are back together again. Volti Audio showing horn loudspeakers, Triode Wire Labs showing the wire, BorderPatrol Audio Electronics supplying the electronics.

The Story

The Vittora loudspeaker is a fully horn-loaded, three-way, high-efficiency, low-distortion speaker system that is equal parts art and instrument. The cabinet structure is all Baltic Birch Plywood in construction. Veneers are real wood, finishes are satin lacquer, and everything is hand-made in Tennessee USA. The Volti Audio Vittora are built to last 100-years or more, and look good doing it.

The Vittora system is a five-piece set that includes two top horn sections (each with a midrange horn and a tweeter horn), two folded bass horns and a single Extended Low-Frequency (ELF) cabinet. The ELF’s bass comes from the 15-inch woofer loaded into a folded horn. The ELF covers low frequencies from 50Hz down to 25Hz confidently.

The main Vittora speakers are three-way loudspeakers, they operate in full-range, and at 104dB sensitivity present little challenge to amplifiers. Along with the added ELF bass cabinet, the Vittora is technically a four-way system. The current manufacturer-direct price for the Vittora horn-speaker system is $29,900 USD. This includes two bass horns, two top-hat mid/tweeter horn cabinets, and one ELF cabinet.

BorderPatrol makes a range of tube power amplifiers that use the ever-popular 300B triode in single-ended, parallel single-ended and push-pull configurations with power outputs ranging from 9 to 20W/channel. All models use inter-stage transformers to couple the driver tube to the 300B’s and have no negative feedback to maximise resolution and preserve signal integrity. The audio chassis are composed of non-magnetic materials and the higher priced EXD versions use copper chassis parts and inter-stage and output transformers that have undergone deep cryogenic treatment.

Each BorderPatrol design features a heavy external power supply units (PSU). The parallel dual-mono designs, like the P20EXD we had on-hand at Capital Audiofest 2019, features two PSU’s, one for each channel. Mounting the PSU’s externally not only keeps the weight and size of the amplifiers manageable, it keeps the hard working iron and its electric fields away from the sensitive audio circuitry. It also allows a degree of power supply elaboration and sophistication into the design.

Each PSU contains three independent tube rectified, choke input filter high voltage supplies to independently feed the 300B’s, the input/driver tubes and the negative bias supply, together with filament supplies for the 300B’s and small signal tubes.

The Border Patrol P20EXD is a dual-mono tube amplifier. Featuring two 300B output triodes per channel, in a push-pull configuration giving 20-Watts per channel. The P20EXD features the previously mentioned dual-external power supply units.

The Sound

This time, unlike the last — I’m aware of the ELF bass cabinet being in the room from the outright. However it blends so seamlessly, that I hate it. I should be able to audibly highlight the hand-off edges of its contributions but I can’t. I know what the Vittoras sound like without the ELF and at the end of the day, I must say the ELF really does a lot that isn’t noticeable until it’s missing from the system.

The Vittoras are snappy and exciting loudspeakers. They command your attention and bring the music into sharp focus. The greatest feat of these horn loudspeakers is that they don’t sound like horns. They have scale for days, distant planes depth in the soundstage, and occasionally the ability to reach forward into the listening space as well. That is a unique attribute.

The P20EXD stereo amplifier should be the star of the show on the electronics side. It’s 20-Watts of tube power is wildly detailed and rich with color and tone. However, I can’t help but be wowed with the DAC SE as it is everything I want from a DAC. Obviously my list is short, because I want a DAC to sound like analog music and that’s what the BorderPatrol DAC SE does for me.

The System

BorderPatrol

– DAC SE Tube Digital-to-Analog Converter – $1,895 USD

– P20EXD Stereo Power Amplifier – $20,650 USD (as shown)

Volti Audio

– Vittora Horn Loudspeaker System (includes single ELF) – $29,900 pr USD

Innuos

– PhoenixUSB Reclocker

– Zenith Music Server

PI Audio

– UberBUSS Power Distribution Box

All cabling by Triode Wire Labs

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete

In the Border room, was that a table or a bench?

Triode Pete

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2020, 04:01 pm »
In the Border room, was that a table or a bench?

That was an equipment stand (including lower plinths) made by Volti Audio (Greg Roberts)...

Greg fabricates all types of custom wood products in his shop in Tennessee...

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2020, 06:08 am »
More info here

https://www.facebook.com/Voltiaudio/

Just scroll down the posts a bit

Greg

Triode Pete

« Reply #34 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:44 pm »
Just noticed this from the Everything Audio Network... http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com

2019 Capital Audiofest!
Electronics, Live Music
Embody Best Show In The East!

by Paul Elliott
(Special To EAN)
Part 4 In A Series

Capital Audiofest has grown to become the largest show on the East Coast. Over eighty rooms, very large marketplace and free lectures all three days, and three live music events Friday and Saturday nights. More on the live music later.  There were some of the smaller listening rooms on the third floor of note:
  Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, and Triode Wire Labs have been exhibiting together for a number of years and each year, they always get very high praise. This year, they managed two rooms. In Room 316, with Volti’s top of the line Vittora, we saw a fully three-way, horn-loaded system including an ELF (Extended Low Frequency) cabinet. I do not think the ELF is needed in these bass-heavy hotel rooms, but Greg let me know the low-frequency push is fully adjustable. The music was so involving. One just wanted to sit and toe tap the day away.  Volti's tag line is “Just Have Fun” and that is just what his speakers make you want to do.

The rest of the equation for this pure musical experience is the BorderPatrol electronics. This represents over 30 years of exploration into what makes a electronic circuit get out of the way of the music. Gary Dews will not make changes for change sake; he just keeps producing musical amps, preamps and DAC's. If there was ever a question whether one should go with either digital or analog front end the the answer is is found in this system.  And speaking of this system, a big part is the cabling.

The synergy one gets with a complete cabling from one company for the whole system is quite obvious. Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs takes great pride in hand constructing every one of the cables he sells. They are made some of the best wire stock every made. These are most likely the best-sounding cables at any price, but sell for a very reasonable price. These cables are the best value out there. The same can be said about the system in Room 309. Just about the only differences was the Volti Audio Rival speaker. This speaker is about one-third the cost of the Vittora but can rock out pure music like its big brother.
  Greg was also showing in static display the new Special Edition version with curved sides, said to improve internal resonances. What was shown was an unfinished version but it can be ordered with an veneer of choice.

Thanks, Paul!!! See you in Tampa!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #35 on: 17 Feb 2020, 04:54 pm »
Just noticed this Video Review from AVShowrooms, that was released last month...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrZTATLStM

Thanks, Peter B!