Ref. Audio Mods PS Audio hca-2 sounds like a wah wah pedal, any ideas

Creed

Hi, new here any help would be appreciated. I bought this mainly for parts for silver wire, binding post and rca jacks for $100, it is on its way to me now, so not in hand. If I could get it running that would be nice. Here is what happened to the amp. It was shipped from RAM with transformer not totally secured,  bolt removed and dangling by one zip tie still intact. So it could have hit caps, there are some tears on wrap of transformer. Thing is previous owner put it back together and used it for 3 years no problem. Then he said it will play fine for 15 to 30 minutes then the oscillating sound starts and gets louder and louder and shuts it down. I've never heard an amp do that, I'm a tube person and have heard some bad stuff but not what he described over the phone, he's never heard an amp do that before either. He describes it as a wah wah pedal, I own one so I know how bizarre that should sound coming from amp. I know nothing of digital amps. If it has to warm up wouldn't that be power supply, maybe cap or bad solder joint in power supply or could that be something on the board also. I can change parts but have know idea how a circuit truly works. Thanks if anybody has an idea with boat anchor.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Does it happen in just one channel or both?
If it's both channels, then look in the power supply.
My guess is that something heats-up and fails (like a capacitor). When it cools down, it's OK for a while.
Freeze spray might find the problem.