Danny Richie

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #141 on: 2 Jun 2020, 10:55 pm »
Amount of NoRez? , I only ordered 1 sheet for XLS

One sheet is enough and welcome to AC.

DThor

« Reply #142 on: 3 Jun 2020, 12:26 am »
Just finished my first speaker build.  I’m hooked.  Already thinking about what to build next.  For my first build I chose the X-LS Encore.  Peter’s flat pack and you tube videos were a huge benefit for me.  Thanks to Peter, Danny, and the others here on the forum for the guidance and inspiration.
David

jcsperson

« Reply #143 on: 3 Jun 2020, 01:51 am »
You knocked it out of the park, Thor. Those look great.

bucky63

« Reply #144 on: 3 Jun 2020, 03:21 am »
I just want to document my fail in my first attempt at the "Gamers Neon Crackle finish"  My son is a 17-year-old gamer and wanted to create something fitting but it was a complete disaster! :lol:

There is learning curve to build and finish DIY speakers!  Some attempts don't work out and need to be sanded off.   :duh:

But now we are all happy with the red and black crackle finish of the second attempt.

Tlesnau@me.com

« Reply #145 on: 3 Jun 2020, 06:45 pm »
This is also my first build... had lot of fun and help from Danny.

Tony

mmurt

« Reply #146 on: 4 Jun 2020, 01:54 pm »
Quick question, I assume the no-rez gets installed on the side walls and top.  Do you also install on the front and back walls, trimming around the drivers, port, etc. or is that overkill?  Hard to see clear pic's.  Thanks.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #147 on: 4 Jun 2020, 02:16 pm »
I put it everywhere except the front baffle. On the bottom I remove the foam layer wher the crossover goes.

mmurt

« Reply #148 on: 4 Jun 2020, 03:01 pm »
Thanks!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #149 on: 14 Jun 2020, 12:09 am »
I'm kinda tardy getting this done, hopefully it all ties together in an easy-to-digest kind of way. Yet another long go at a YouTube video. I've come to  figure out that short, concise videos are just beyond me...maybe someday.

NoRez installation video: https://youtu.be/CtIe9XFNdVQ

Drawings downloadable from Google Drive:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10T-77xKUE3ZV-HJl_3F8yr0rHH77df4x?usp=sharing

Neccros

« Reply #150 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:41 am »
Hope this is OK to post this here...

Who here as has added No Res to the stock retail X-LS Classic cabinets??  I need help confirming something.

Please PM me... Thanks!

Skilly

« Reply #151 on: 16 Jun 2020, 02:09 pm »
 :thumb: Nicely Done. I can't wait to watch the video.

mmurt

« Reply #152 on: 22 Jun 2020, 09:06 pm »

About to wrap these up and want to triple check my crossovers before I solder to my drivers and tube connectors.  Does this all look correct?  Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #153 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:59 am »
Looks good.

Harro

• I like DIY
« Reply #154 on: 23 Jul 2020, 07:41 pm »
Hi,

Is it a bad idea changing the dimensions of the enclosure while still keeping the same internal volume?

The reason for my question is that I want these speakers.
Someone who doesn't is my SO as she doesn't find the typical speaker box shape aesthetically pleasing enough.

What I'm thinking is if it's ok to make them not as deep, but wider/taller and put them close to the wall.

Other solutions which you think could be worth looking into is also appreciated!

Danny Richie

« Reply #155 on: 29 Jul 2020, 01:29 pm »
Hi,

Is it a bad idea changing the dimensions of the enclosure while still keeping the same internal volume?

The reason for my question is that I want these speakers.
Someone who doesn't is my SO as she doesn't find the typical speaker box shape aesthetically pleasing enough.

What I'm thinking is if it's ok to make them not as deep, but wider/taller and put them close to the wall.

Other solutions which you think could be worth looking into is also appreciated!

What you want to avoid is making them a square shape. You want the width to be between 1/2 and 2/3rds of the depth.

MokhaMark

« Reply #156 on: 29 Jul 2020, 03:35 pm »
Hi All,

I am working on my first build, thanks for all the help I found on this forum. I wanted to share a picture of a spray painting hack I just had kicking around that saved me having to build something. An iron hanging plant holder that spikes into the ground. I have a rock on top as an added precaution that it does not tip over but in fact the spikes are long enough to hold the weight of the speaker. Works great and I can hit the entire box without having to set it on anything. Here's a picture of the priming phase.

Happy building and listening.

(cannot figure out how to rotate the picture, sorry.....)

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #157 on: 29 Jul 2020, 04:24 pm »
Thanks for posting, y'all!

I reoriented photos because...well, just because.

GregoryCollins

• Always learning...
« Reply #158 on: 6 Aug 2020, 07:27 pm »
I love your build videos on YouTube. Thank you so much.

I just ordered my flatpack for you yesterday and am getting ready to put everything together. In your assembly videos you use clamps. I don't have any clamps that are that big. I see that you used masking tape in these assembly pictures.

Can you compare and contrast the results using tape vs. clamps?

MokhaMark

« Reply #159 on: 6 Aug 2020, 08:24 pm »
Hey thanks Peter,

New question: The new batch of tube connectors either are larger than the old ones or the holes in my cabinet backs are too small. Any idea what size? I have only a 3/8 inch bit which is smaller than the existing hole, and a 1/2 inch spade bit which looks too big. I have to go buy a bit to expand the hole so wonder which is best. 7/16? Thanks for help.