***X-LS Extravaganza***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #160 on: 6 Aug 2020, 11:24 pm »
I love your build videos on YouTube. Thank you so much.

I just ordered my flatpack for you yesterday and am getting ready to put everything together. In your assembly videos you use clamps. I don't have any clamps that are that big. I see that you used masking tape in these assembly pictures.

Can you compare and contrast the results using tape vs. clamps?

My assumption when I designed this was that you'd have clamps, a router with flush trimming and likely a profile cutter. Using tape would be an exercise in frustration, I'm sure. Just not enough clamping pressure to get the job done. The top and bottom are sized to be a snug fit...you'll see when you get the flat pack. Do it the way I show in video and you're golden.

Dry assemble, dry assemble, dry assemble. Don't forget to dry assemble and have a game plan. The markings you'll see on various parts are there for a reason...

Beg, borrow, purchase clamps and be a happy speaker builder. The masking tape you saw in photos was to glue corner pieces in. Cabinet was assembled at that point. There is  a place for masking tape in the glue up world, but this ain't it!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #161 on: 6 Aug 2020, 11:46 pm »
Hey thanks Peter,

New question: The new batch of tube connectors either are larger than the old ones or the holes in my cabinet backs are too small. Any idea what size? I have only a 3/8 inch bit which is smaller than the existing hole, and a 1/2 inch spade bit which looks too big. I have to go buy a bit to expand the hole so wonder which is best. 7/16? Thanks for help.

Crap! I don't have a new one here to measure, the old ones fit perfectly. I did mic an old one and the largest diameter (rib) is .436-.438. Does someone have a micrometer they can measure a new one with?

I have used a 1/2" reamer to remove few thousands when I've had finish build up in the hole. I think that'd be your best bet. The 1/2 spade will surely bring you grief.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 6 Aug 2020, 11:50 pm »
I thought I remember hearing that there were going to be some small changes to the latest batch of Tube connectors, i think something to do with better stability when used in plastic binding cups?

MokhaMark

« Reply #163 on: 7 Aug 2020, 12:49 am »
Hey Peter, no worries, I got a 7/16 bit. It took off some material and now they fit perfectly & snugly. Just an FYI to you and others on this batch that they will not fit in the existing holes without at least some shaving, but 7/16 does it perfect.

I am so excited to be near the end of my first ever build. I made some mistakes but none that will hurt the sound I hope.

Kudos to you for the great cabinet materials.

Mark

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #164 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:10 am »
I've been learning a new patina technique which I'll be showing in an upcoming video. 16 ga steel inset in sides and top.

Here's a preview.

uncola

« Reply #165 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:12 am »
won't be long before you're offering all aluminum flat packs and putting Magico out of business ;)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #166 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:20 am »
I've been learning a new patina technique which I'll be showing in an upcoming video. 16 ga steel inset in sides and top.

Im digging that idea!
Tho i do wonder how the mass of the steel glued to MDF affects the cabinet resonance. 🤔

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #167 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:31 am »
Im digging that idea!
Tho i do wonder how the mass of the steel glued to MDF affects the cabinet resonance. 🤔

I wondered that too. It's a full spread of notched silicone to adhere panels.  I can tell you it  takes all the *tink* out of them and adds a little over 2 lbs. of mass to cabinet.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #168 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:45 am »
I wondered that too. It's a full spread of notched silicone to adhere panels.  I can tell you it  takes all the *tink* out of them and adds a little over 2 lbs. of mass to cabinet.
That pretty interesting, i imagine that no-rez would only further dampen the overall response , since the steel/MDF combo act as both mass loading and with the silicon adhesive, constrained layer damping (CLD), then once you add the no-rez you get a dense butyl-like layer on the inside to help absorb even more resonance...

(I made a thread about mass loading and CLD on the Lab circle) but haven't checked on it since then 2-3 months later, so i should probably go back to it to see what was said..  :lol:

AlexH

« Reply #169 on: 12 Aug 2020, 11:58 am »

Peter that looks fantastic. You have a good eye.

Danny Richie

« Reply #170 on: 14 Aug 2020, 10:28 pm »
Wow, that looks good.

Skilly

« Reply #171 on: 15 Aug 2020, 03:04 am »
Would it be wrong to assume the video will be "riveting?"

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #172 on: 15 Aug 2020, 03:28 am »
No idea but I'll definitely be glued to my seat :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #173 on: 17 Aug 2020, 02:43 pm »
Link to newest video showing patinated steel inserts

https://youtu.be/WeQklZ2nQuk
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2020, 06:47 am by Peter J »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #174 on: 17 Aug 2020, 02:59 pm »
Here's something I think is cool.

Scott is building a pair of X-LSs. He also restores old outboard motors. The color chosen matches 1958 Johnson outboard motor. I've linked to his YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3sI1mv9I7vglTOEWclyZtA?view_as=subscriber

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #175 on: 17 Aug 2020, 03:36 pm »
Link to newest video showing patinated steel inserts

https://youtu.be/D3CeZGKEac8
Great Video, Peter!  :thumb:
Id love to see someone do something like that  with copper sheets, I love the green patina that forms when using copper. Having something like that would look fantastic imo!

That red metal flake is gorgeous too, dang!

mzbrahce

« Reply #176 on: 18 Aug 2020, 01:20 am »
If you are interested in patina copper sheets, check these out:
     https://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Specialty__Veneer/Patina__Copper__Veneer/

DonJoe

« Reply #177 on: 18 Aug 2020, 10:20 pm »
Love the creativity Peter!  Just stunning work...as always.

dan2023

« Reply #178 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:12 am »
I agree Peter J, that is a great color.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #179 on: 21 Oct 2020, 12:24 am »
I recently got a helper

And who can guess what I'm doing here?