why do some people like low powered tube amps on there ob system???

077 tweeter

Most low powered tube amps have higher distortion than a good Solid-State amp. A good one has .1% or less distortion and better transient response, so it will sound better on an OB system. If you don't like the sound of a good S.S. amp, thenyou don't like somethingcloser to real live sound. Also a good jazz cd will sound much better than a distorted typical vinyl system. To me,tubes and vinyl suck compared to a good cd on a S.S. amp. If you don't agree with me. tell me why-RUDY

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
These low powered tube amps are SET(not PushPull or UltraLinear), that had higher distortion than transistor, but this distortion are very pleased to the brain, what do not happen with PP,UL or SS.

mcgsxr

When I was using OB mains, I used many different amps.

Teac tripath digital amp in 3 different modded states plus stock.
Panasonic XR25 and XR55 receivers.
JVC EX-A1 hybrid digital amp.
JVC ES-1 hybrid digital amp.
50wpc dual mono gainclone.
300wpc mono tube amps with an SS stage in them.
3wpc Magnavox tube amp.  Single ended pentode, EL84 Class A.

The best were the 300w amps, a friend of mine brought them over, and they were absolutely fantastic.

Next best for me was the 3wpc Magnavox amp.  I used it exclusively for 5 years.

So, I disagree with you.  Because my ears tell me that tubes and OB work well.

OzarkTom

If distortion figures are so important, the Japaneze would have knocked all the tube amps off the market 40 years ago. But instead, there are many more companies making tube amps today than they did 40 years ago.

At the Munich Germany High End audio show just last week, some companies are now showcasing $30-50K tube amps. Can these companies all be wrong?

django11

• Canuckistani
I don't think there is any right or wrong.  Just differing tastes.

kgturner

It's simple. You prefer vanilla. I prefer mint chocolate chip.

Kevin T

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
To me,tubes and vinyl suck compared to a good cd on a S.S. amp. If you don't agree with me. tell me why-RUDY
I don't agree because cd's and S.S. amps suck compared to tubes and vinyl.  :duel:

Perhaps you might tell us which tube and vinyl rigs you've have personal experience with so we could know which ones to avoid.  :wink:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I don't agree because cd's and S.S. amps suck compared to tubes and vinyl.  :duel:

Perhaps you might tell us which tube and vinyl rigs you've have personal experience with so we could know which ones to avoid.  :wink:

QFT!!

jimdgoulding

Well, Rudy, it's a personal thing.  Low powered SET amps are thought by some to be best producers of MUSIC in the world.  It would follow, then, that you would have to have a very efficient speaker, OB or otherwise.  I presume that you've heard ALL the tube amps there are and as many vinyl front ends.  I mean your opinion can't be taken seriously by very many others if you haven't.  And still, it's only an opinion.  Do get out more, won't you.  Are your tastes in music widespread?  Do you like the harmonics of instuments?  Like the making of art?

Scott F.

RUDY=6 posts=TROLL  :shake:

matevana

The analogy I like to use is a s follows. When I used to be into photography, one trick was to put a drop of Vaseline over the lens to diffuse the picture. It softened and blended the image and gave a very nice overall presentation, when variables such as lighting were less than ideal.

If you think about your CD collection in conjunction with OB speakers, you probably have many where the recording quality, mix or presentation is less than ideal. For me, the combination of tubes plus OB takes a degree of harshness out of these recordings and provides a nice overall presentation. 

nicoch

quite simple... the multiway have low db and you are forced for up 100w ie trade power for quality :class a/b ,pushpull, feedback

fullrange are min 93db perfect for 8w tube in class A ,single ended ,no feedback... (and no xover )

nicoch

ps

is a lot of time that the world know that distortion don't have a lot to do with sound quality....

and good vinyl sound better the dac ...only you must use more money...but grab an old lenco ,denon cartridge ,diy jfet phono .... 

Poultrygeist

Here's an interesting audio paper on SET/HE speaker combination.

http://www.decware.com/paper43.htm