Introduction

ricone

Introduction
« on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:03 pm »
Hello,  my name is Ric and I am from NJ. I am in process of selling my Martin Logan CLX speakers and would like to replace them with either X4 or X3.
Current system consists of dcs Rossini + Clock, d’Agostino Progression integrated and Transparent cables.  Will that be a good pairing with either of the X speakers?
Any X owners in northern NJ that could demo their speakers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2022, 05:27 pm »
Both the X3 and X4 will be great matches with your setup.  Personally I'd go with the X3 if you have a medium sized (or larger) listening area.  I like the X3 because it's got a big ass 15 inch woofer, and I really like strong bass that goes low. 

Jpdoyle3

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2022, 06:28 pm »
Hey ricone! Welcome...

I own the X5s; all X series are voiced very similarly. As Tyson points out, if your room is larger, the X3s will do better given their larger woofer. Both the X3 and X5 have powered subs, leaving an easy load for an amp to drive just the Bayma AMT and midrange driver. They sound equally excellent with small tube amps to high-powered D Class Amps such as Cherry. One aspect of this design I appreciate is the ability to control (albeit manually) the sub's response. I find with some recordings the bass response is either lacking or over-emphasized, having that ability to fine-tune that to my taste is a nice feature though I don't do that often.

Not knowing the size of your room, I think the X4 would probably be the best choice, given you have already invested in an end-state amp with lots of headroom. I rolled a lot of amps until I found the one that checked all the boxes for me (LTA Z40i+). Your D'Agostino/DCS combo would be next level with the X4s. I heard the X4s at the Capital Audio Fest earlier this year and was very impressed. I understand that Clayton has made further refinements with the crossover since that show, which elevates the sound that much more.

The good news is you really can't miss with any of these amazing speakers. Again, welcome to the site and best of luck on your journey. Please keep us updated! John

ekobi

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2022, 03:20 pm »
I agonized (for months!) over the X4 vs the X5 speakers, and wished very much to hear them side-by-side to settle the issue. In the end, I went with the passive X4s because a) I already own an amp that I love; and, more importantly, b) Clayton assured me that his passive bass drivers sound better than his powered ones, even though they go half an octave lower. Without access to response curves, I make up a story that the passive drivers roll off more smoothly than the powered ones, which I can well imagine accounts for his claim. Either way, I doubt you'd regret either choice -- looking forward to finding out which way you go.

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2022, 08:17 pm »
I have the X-3's and love them.  Haven't heard the X-4's but if you ever wanted to use a tube amp, you'd likely be better off with the powered subs Vs the passive. That's probably the deciding factor.

Mr. Big

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2022, 03:04 pm »
I agonized (for months!) over the X4 vs the X5 speakers, and wished very much to hear them side-by-side to settle the issue. In the end, I went with the passive X4s because a) I already own an amp that I love; and, more importantly, b) Clayton assured me that his passive bass drivers sound better than his powered ones, even though they go half an octave lower. Without access to response curves, I make up a story that the passive drivers roll off more smoothly than the powered ones, which I can well imagine accounts for his claim. Either way, I doubt you'd regret either choice -- looking forward to finding out which way you go.

Good move going passive, your amp sonics will be imprinted across the speakers range from top to the very bottom. Will be seamless, your amp is a bass killer so you should be very happy. I use 300 watts on my speakers and the speakers love the power, just a ease to the presentation. Give them several months to settle in with the drivers and you will be amazed how good they are period not just for the money.