The NEW X4 - First Impressions Video | These are Fantastic!

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
I don’t know what else to say other than Spatial stepped up to the plate, called their shot and knocked it out of the park! I’m really impressed! Check out the video!

https://youtu.be/IHATkt0mbUw
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2022, 12:14 pm by Vedder323 »

Tangram

Re: The new M4 might be a damn unicorn!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2022, 03:23 pm »
Thanks for pointing the video out.

Personally, I like that the X4 is passive. I wonder though if the price difference between it and the X5, with its self-powered woofer, is too small. That would be a shame if it didn't get sales traction.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2022, 07:37 pm »
I would think that much of the praise for the X4s would apply to the X5s as they use the same AMT tweeter and similar size mid and LF drivers. I don't know if the X4s updated mid and low frequency drivers are significantly better. The X5s go a bit lower to 25Hz, have 8 ohm impedance and 97 db efficiency vs the X4s' 32Hz depth, 4 ohm impedance and 93 db efficiency rating. 

I hope Ron sometime is able to get to the X5s or even the X3s. Before this video, I had the impression from previous videos that he didn't like the X5s' AMT tweeter but now I can see it was just his bias versus his listening experience. 

Bingenito

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2022, 09:05 pm »
Not sure if the X4 is a mythical horse with a horn sticking out of its head but it is one hell of a speaker. I am super impressed with my pair and cant even think of any speaker that I would prefer.

The intentional stepping in dog crap part of the review is spot on. Bass on most (not all) speakers is so broken that I cant listen to it. Its always warm, wooly, sluggish as to not offend and try to sound deep but as a result most box speakers sound like box resonance with no bass definition. To come clean I have owned many before the X4 but once you hear real bass you cannot unhear it. The soundstage depth on the X4 is insane as well.

lazbisme

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2022, 09:54 pm »
Sure happy my X3 is in the same family! First time in my long audio life I ever heard good bass in a room. And the tweeter.....OMG!!!
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

AllanS

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2022, 10:07 pm »
Correction please if incorrect but, from conversations with Spatial, my understanding is the X4 and M4 share the same bass section.  I don't know what differences there may be in implementation, but I took this to mean the X4 and M4 share the same 12" drivers.

radarnyc

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2022, 11:54 pm »
Correction please if incorrect but, from conversations with Spatial, my understanding is the X4 and M4 share the same bass section.  I don't know what differences there may be in implementation, but I took this to mean the X4 and M4 share the same 12" drivers.
Detailed driver info on the Sapphire line seems thin on Spatial's website but the photos over at Darko's site look different from what i remember of the M4s. The baskets look the same or similar. I own the X5s so I can't look/verify.
https://darko.audio/2022/04/axpona-2022-spatial-x4-w-lta-z40-holo-may/#&gid=1&pid=1

sockpit

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2022, 12:49 am »
I wouldn’t get too jazzed. Next year something new will come out and NRD will hype it too. That’s business.

From a happy M5 owner who thinks wondering about the effect of the very sheer grill on sound quality is a sign of serious audio OCD,   :popcorn:

Sock pit

ric

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2022, 02:31 pm »
Also, there is a video of alumni Danny at GR research talking to Clayton about the X4's. It was refreshing to see two friends that can talk about their love of open baffle and not let any egos get in the way. Mutual respect and admiration is a rare thing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL91UyiAAh0

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2022, 03:27 pm »
As an X3 owner, yeah the X series really is that good.  Reference level speakers. 

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2022, 02:14 am »
Also, there is a video of alumni Danny at GR research talking to Clayton about the X4's. It was refreshing to see two friends that can talk about their love of open baffle and not let any egos get in the way. Mutual respect and admiration is a rare thing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL91UyiAAh0
Wow, thanks for sharing this video.  That was nice of Danny to invite Clayton over and showcase his X4s on his YouTube channel.  I don’t think we’ll ever see Magico showcasing Wilson Audio speakers on YouTube or in a hifi magazine.  Lol…

drhoon

Re: The NEW X4 - First Impressions Video | These are Fantastic!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2022, 12:34 pm »
Can you comment if x4 bass section has more punch (palpable) than the x5?

Mr. Big

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2022, 01:21 pm »
Always good reviews on Spatial Audio speakers across the line.  Ron's video was good but one thing that makes his comparison to M3's hard, was his gear the same, the room the same, cables the same, and power cords, if not it would be hard to say if the X4 was a better speaker if everything that drives the speakers has been updated or changed from the 1st M3 sapphires reviews. The only way to say would be a/b them within the same system and room in the present setup.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2022, 05:02 pm by Mr. Big »

DaveWin88

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2022, 02:07 pm »
Ron's a used car salesman :) In other words haha. Hey if it wasn't for Ron I wouldn't be here. I'm sure the X4 is a better speaker? in some regards, but that comes at a price.

Mr. Big

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2022, 05:04 pm »
Can you comment if x4 bass section has more punch (palpable) than the x5?

That would all depend on the amp that was used to drive the X4 and the front-end gear having a good reproduction of the bass and mid-bass. Look at a system as a whole working together. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2022, 05:07 pm »
I would think that much of the praise for the X4s would apply to the X5s as they use the same AMT tweeter and similar size mid and LF drivers. I don't know if the X4s updated mid and low frequency drivers are significantly better. The X5s go a bit lower to 25Hz, have 8 ohm impedance and 97 db efficiency vs the X4s' 32Hz depth, 4 ohm impedance and 93 db efficiency rating. 

I hope Ron sometime is able to get to the X5s or even the X3s. Before this video, I had the impression from previous videos that he didn't like the X5s' AMT tweeter but now I can see it was just his bias versus his listening experience.

In-room speaker response is the key, specs are another. Your room acoustics have a big part on how any speaker is going to reproduce music in our rooms.

doggie

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2022, 03:23 pm »
Ron's a used car salesman :) In other words haha. Hey if it wasn't for Ron I wouldn't be here...

Boy. Online reviews are tricky. I am talking about YouTube, where it is pretty obvious that the reviewer makes money from the traffic, and also the big review sites like 6Moons or Darko where it is a true business. Online reviewers are pressed to always keep hits up for advertising so they are always boosting "The Next Big Thing". I tend to look for a lot of consensus on forums like this one.

I bought my X5s because I noticed that LTA and Spatial are often paired up at shows. Also LTA uses Spatial speakers in their showroom factory where I bought my amp.

drhoon

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2022, 03:58 pm »
That would all depend on the amp that was used to drive the X4 and the front-end gear having a good reproduction of the bass and mid-bass. Look at a system as a whole working together.

That's obvious, differences in gear makes different sound.

I am asking about difference in the woofers of x4 vs x5. When I had DIY open baffle different drivers made significant difference in the "punch" for example beta eminence had way more palpable than neo-woofers.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2022, 05:52 pm »
I bought my X5s because I noticed that LTA and Spatial are often paired up at shows. Also LTA uses Spatial speakers in their showroom factory where I bought my amp.

That would be a good thread. Why did you buy Spatial Audio Speakers?

I had tried the Magnepan LRS speakers and really liked them but then moved to the .7s and noticed I got more but still things were missing. I continued to research and saw some references to open baffle speakers but a lot of them were European and I didn't think I had a chance to buy/hear them. I saw some references to Spatial Audio Lab stuff and then found a YouTuber (not a reviewer) named Brent LeVasseur who just posted videos of his X5s playing. Even over YouTube, it sounded great. He's posted a bunch more videos since I first found him involving different equipment. I get obsessive about reviews and forums so I read as much as I could and there were several posters (I don't think I found AudioCircle until after I bought the speakers) who raved about them.

I was considering moving to Magnepan 1.7is but saw an ad on a site where someone was selling his X5s which were only less than a year old in the Phoenix area (about 3 hour drive) for a really great price. I went there and he was happy to demonstrate them for me and I was immediately hooked. I bought them on the spot and brought them home.

It has also led me to switch from SS to tubes which I had no experience with and also adding and upgrading DACs and now the amplifier as well all with the X5s as the centerpiece. I knew I had my endgame speakers and despite everything else I'm tweaking, I still feel the same way.

newzooreview

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2022, 01:19 am »
Always good reviews on Spatial Audio speakers across the line.  Ron's video was good but one thing that makes his comparison to M3's hard, was his gear the same, the room the same, cables the same, and power cords, if not it would be hard to say if the X4 was a better speaker if everything that drives the speakers has been updated or changed from the 1st M3 sapphires reviews. The only way to say would be a/b them within the same system and room in the present setup.

He said he plans to post "sound clips with commentary." In the past he has done that to compare different speakers in the same setup (and did it with the M3 Sapphires and X5s more than a year ago). So, it's possible there will be a direct comparison between his M3 Sapphires and the X4s in his current setup/room. It would be unusual (and disappointing) to post a first impressions video making initial comparisons to the Sapphires and then failing to follow that up.