Question about the speaker finish

Rthomeint

Question about the speaker finish
« on: 22 Feb 2022, 04:34 am »
Here is a question f those who own current model speakers. Is the satin finish smooth? In many of the photos this finish looks textured. I have been thinking about buy a pair in blue satin.

sjsfiveo

Re: Question about the speaker finish
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2022, 09:43 am »
It's textured, at least my white M4's were.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2022, 12:41 pm »
Here is a question f those who own current model speakers. Is the satin finish smooth? In many of the photos this finish looks textured. I have been thinking about buy a pair in blue satin.
My X5s are black satin and they are textured.

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2022, 01:13 pm »
Sapele baffles with a clear coat on M4s.  Smooth finish :)

Rthomeint

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2022, 01:35 pm »
Sapele baffles with a clear coat on M4s.  Smooth finish :)

That finish looks really nice! I don’t see the finish as an option for ordering on the Spatial audio website. Is this a special order?

Tarheel

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2022, 02:04 pm »
Yes it is an optional baffle.  Call one of the fine folks at Spatial Audio Lab for other wood options and prices.  Very pleased with mine.

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2022, 02:25 pm »
I wish that had been an option for my X5's. Or walnut...

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2022, 04:00 pm »
Hi Rtho, I'm a house painter and speaker lover. A satin finish has nothing to do with texture. It is the degree of shine or gloss. Flat paint has no shine.Semi gloss has some shine. Gloss has the most shine. In between Flat and Semi Gloss are Matte and or Satin. They are very close or maybe the same. They have less gloss than Semi Gloss. Texture can be felt. My sub has black textured paint but is not shiny. It might be a Satin or Matte. The key when a customer wants Flat paint on a wall is to talk them out of it if they have kids. You can't wash it very well. It's because the texture, even if you can't feel it ,is there microscopicly casting small shadows eliminating the shine. Because of this it's very hard to clean....ceilings are a good example of flat paint. When I paint a bathroom ceiling I use Semi Gloss white. You can wash Semi Gloss....take care Mark Korda.

RonN5

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2022, 07:18 pm »
I think it is important to contact clayton and ask him to describe the finish.  For example, is the gloss finish piano gloss, which would be a mirror finish and perfectly smooth....or is it a slightly orange peel but with a high gloss finish....then the same for the satin....is it a smooth satin with no evidence of orange peel or texture.

as for the wood grain, although it is not on the product page, several have commented recently that it is available if you call and discuss it with him.

Here is the maple finish on the M3 Sapphires....and I would call the coating on the maple somewhere between sating and semi....somewhat glossy but only from up close and not from a distance.