Taming Brightness - break in? amp? acoutics?

Mr. Big

Re: Taming Brightness - break in? amp? acoutics?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:33 am »
Hello All,

I'm still having issues with heavy guitar / hard rock as well as some other recordings such as Janice Joplin's 1-step which admittedly has some reviews on discogs that complain about brightness - some just as many don't. System is fine with "regular" rock like Pink Floyd, FMac, Beatles, etc. as well as jazz and what little classical I listen to. it is even fine with Rage's (RATM) debut album (which is one of my best sounding records) since it was recorded extremely well and is more than not still a "cleaner" sound than say, Smashing Pumpkins, Dirt (AIC), most TOOL (Undertow is actually great but Aenmia is rough). The "cleaner" acoustic tracks on AIC's self titled album (3 legged dog which is also an amazing sounding record) sound great but when the hard electric guitars come in with any distortion - is very harsh and separation goes out the door. Everything collides in the upper mids and low treble (where the crossover is for the M3 tweeter?).

My system:
Sapphire M3s with about 100 hours above 70 db (probably 200 hours at lower volume) but the tweeters only have around 55 hours above 70 db (probably over 120 at lower db) as I had a tweeter issue in early Dec. Are the issues I mentioned above sound like more speaker breakin will help? I have read a few complaints on Audiogon about M3s being too bright but who knows the back story (amp, hours, room acoustics, cables)

Int amp is a Primaluna Evo 300 with about 200-ish hours. Kt-150s probably have around 175 hours and the Radiotechniques in the front preamp position probaly have around 150 hours. Mazdas on the sides around 175 hours. I have also read that Primaluna can be bright  (?).

Cables are now (about 75 hours) almost all LessLoss (copper) except a DL Labs silver power cord to the TT and speaker wires are Analyis Plus, Oval 9 black mesh (thank you Mr. Big) with about 200 hours.

TT is VPI prime Signature with Hana red cart (with about 125 hours).

Phonostage is a Modwright 9.0x and I changed one set of the fuses to Amperex (but really couldn't tell the difference).

Room is carpet over a concrete floor (basement) with a rug on top of that in the 7' in front of the speakers. Ceiling is a cheap drop celing w/ that cardboard like panels and a few fluorescent lights. Nothing on the walls except curtains in front 1 window (which is behind 1 speaker but again w/ curtain) and glass door. Only drywall is behind the right speaker but I put the (semi large) dog bed directly behind it which did nothing.

Speakers are 30" from the front wall (I lost too much bass at 36" but still playing with this). Rear wall is about 17' back and side walls are difficult to describe since the room is an offset T.

Initial thoughts?  I know the speaker need to break in more but they have some time on them. I'm wondering more about the amp than anything but called Upscale and they said to look elsewhere (of course). One guy on Audiogon upgraded his caps which said really helped the amp. I can put some $ into acoustics but we are moving next year so don't want to put a bunch of $ into a room that is changing next year. Can do some though.

Thanks

Have you tried the 4-ohm taps? If do so. Just have to turn the volu,e up a bit more, you may be in for a surprise. :)

forky

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:25 am »
Thanks but they have been in 4 ohm. I may just buy the EQ but just traded texts w/ my brother who owns a bike shop and I may leave them with him for (gulp) a few weeks to break them in. He is going to get back to me on DB level but my guess is about 70-75 throughout the day and maybe louder than that when he leaves for the day.

If he can run them 24 hours per day for 21 days that is about 500 hours. He'll be here on Saturday to hear the stereo for the first time and I might let him take the M3s with him for 3-4 weeks.

Edit, I'm watching a youtube vid now not to breakin running it 24/7 so will ask him to turn off at night and run different music (which he does) and different volumes. This means he'll have them for a lot longer though.  :(

Philip J Fry

« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:43 am »
It's very possible your amplifier is clipping and you don't realize it.

I agree with abomwell.

Can you borrow a more powerful amp(suggest at least 200 watts)?

forky

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2022, 01:49 am »
I'll ask my brother to bring his amp on Saturday. I think it is 100 wpc  (Adcom 545) but more than my PL tube at (probably) 50 wpc (with KT150s). Will report back after I listen to that. thanks.

Mr. Big

« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2022, 03:16 pm »
Sometimes it is just the bad recordings. Also being a tube man at one time, tubes can change the sound from bright, to natural and then a classic tube sound that makes you want to listen to the music, I tube rolled some tubes that make my solid-state amp sound like a tube unit in comparison. Try a more powerful amp also, my M3's sound better when I switched to a 300-watt amp and then a 2nd one that I just purchased, no real brightness but bad recordings sound bad, like where the bass go, to the next recording where the bass can shake the room. The bane of audio, the poor recordings out there, and no format can fix that, only hope would be a total remix of that recording and that is not going to happen.

Tangram

« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2022, 04:04 pm »
Forky, what you are going through is almost identical to my own M3 experience. For sure, you probably need more seat time to get used to the presentation from your new speakers. They are detailed and revealing. I struggled mightily with them being too bright. Out of curiosity, what speakers were you using before?

After trying just about everything under the sun, I...turned down the volume! My room has a distinct "ideal listening volume". As soon as I go above 85 db, the highs are piercing and cringy. This HASN'T changed much in the 8 months I've owned the M3s. Break in will only get you so far. But your largely untreated room will definitely dictate your maximum listening volume.

I'd be willing to bet that your previous speakers were lower sensitivity than the M3's 92 db. I went from a pair of Magnepans with a manufacturer-reported 86 db sensitivity, but Stereophile measured them at 80 db! Detailed but flat presentation.

Because the Spatials have a wider dynamic range (reflecting their higher sensitivity) at the same AVERAGE volume, transients will be at a higher volume than on my Maggies, just as quieter passages are quieter. So the Spatials were regularly breaching 87, even 90 db on dynamic music, and that was when the piercing, cringy highs would come in.

By all means, tube roll, play around with speaker position, etc. but do that after you monitor listening volumes with your SPL meter. You should find that you are regularly going above volumes that reveal your room's limitations, not your speaker's limitations. Dial it down, let your ears adjust to the slightly lower volumes, and see how that goes. 90 db peaks should be fine in a home system, but only when you have a really good room.

A lot of guys with Spatials say "they aren't bright", but then, they are listening at 70 db. You actually like it pretty loud, as do I. They are very energetic speakers, which results in amazing dynamics (possible their best attribute). But, at least in my case, it took some time to figure out why they were bright for me but not for others. If you want I'll sell you my brand new Schiit Lokius, which I ordered months ago because of the brightness issues I had. But in the time I waited for it, I figured out my problem. No need for EQ.

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2022, 08:34 pm by Tangram »

DannyBadorine

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2022, 04:21 pm »
The upper mid-range on guitars is often harsh.  When you mention the Aenima Tool record (their worst recording by far) I know what you're talking about.  I think you might actually just be hearing what's going on better with these speakers.  They're more transparent and they are revealing the problems in guitar tone.  High gain guitar amps are usually run through 4x12" speaker cabinets.  Those 12" drivers beam terribly in the upper mid range (picture a 12" woofer producing 2000Hz-5000Hz in your home stereo and you will understand).  This is recorded through a dynamic microphone (often a Shure SM57) that has a gain increase around those same frequencies and now the guitars are bright.  With revealing speakers you will hear this much more.

RonN5

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2022, 04:40 pm »
When you have lower ceilings and/or concrete floors and/or glass doorwalls and the sound is bouncing all over the place...well you get the point.

Let me suggest a little "trick" I learned in my younger days about how to listen at 90db without as much of a sensation of brightness (although this volume still isn't good for your long term hearing/tinitus).

Listen to your first song at 75 db....then your second and third song at 80 db...then your fourth and fifth song at 85 db...then step up to 90db...in other words, you are conditioning your hearing to both the "harshness" and the volume.

PS....I now try to listen at 80db or below to protect what hearing I have left...which fortunately is pretty even from left ear to right.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2022, 05:21 pm »
Well, forky, you have a thousand things to do. Get on it.  :lol:

forky

« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2022, 07:07 pm »
Sometimes it is just the bad recordings. Also being a tube man at one time, tubes can change the sound from bright, to natural and then a classic tube sound that makes you want to listen to the music, I tube rolled some tubes that make my solid-state amp sound like a tube unit in comparison. Try a more powerful amp also, my M3's sound better when I switched to a 300-watt amp and then a 2nd one that I just purchased, no real brightness but bad recordings sound bad, like where the bass go, to the next recording where the bass can shake the room. The bane of audio, the poor recordings out there, and no format can fix that, only hope would be a total remix of that recording and that is not going to happen.

Will be interesting to see what my brother's SS 125 wpc (most tests show around 150-175, so underrated by factory) Adcom amp sounds like on Saturday. Most of the albums in question do sound good or great not only at lower volume but the "cleaner" (if any) tracks, such as an acoustical track in a sea of electric sound great. Most of these are very well regarded pressings ($$$). I have separated my records into 3 different areas (poor, good, excellent) and these troubled ones are still in my excellent pressing area. While I have plenty of crappy recordings, I don't *think* these are. I think it is system or room issue - probably both. This is well received though and I have spent a mint over the past 5-6 months on excellent pressings incl. 1st pressing of Abby Rd and DSOTM which arrives later this week and many more.

Forky, what you are going through is almost identical to my own M3 experience. For sure, you probably need more seat time to get used to the presentation from your new speakers. They are detailed and revealing. I struggled mightily with them being too bright. Out of curiosity, what speakers were you using before?

After trying just about everything under the sun, I...turned down the volume! My room has a distinct "ideal listening volume". As soon as I go above 85 db, the highs are piercing and cringy. This HASN'T changed much in the 8 months I've owned the M3s. Break in will only get you so far. But your largely untreated room will definitely dictate your maximum listening volume.

I'd be willing to bet that your previous speakers were lower sensitivity than the M3's 92 db. I went from a pair of Magnepans with a manufacturer-reported 86 db sensitivity, but Stereophile measured them at 80 db! Detailed but flat presentation.

Because the Spatials have a wider dynamic range (reflecting their higher sensitivity) at the same AVERAGE volume, transients will be at a higher volume than on my Maggies, just as quieter passages are quieter. So the Spatials were regularly breaching 87, even 90 db on dynamic music, and that was when the piercing, cringy highs would come in.

By all means, tube roll, play around with speaker position, etc. but do that after you monitor listening volumes with your SPL meter. You should find that you are regularly going above volumes that reveal your room's limitations, not your speaker's limitations. Dial it down, let your ears adjust to the slightly lower volumes, and see how that goes. 90 db peaks should be fine in a home system, but only when you have a really good room.

A lot of guys with Spatials say "they aren't bright", but then, they are listening at 70 db. You actually like it pretty loud, as do I. They are very energetic speakers, which results in amazing dynamics (possible their best attribute). But, at least in my case, it tooks some time to figure out why they were bright for me but not for others. If you want I'll sell you my brand new Schiit Lokius, which I ordered months ago because of the brightness issues I had. But in the time I waited for it, I figured out my problem. No need for EQ.

Awesome post! Exactly what I have been looking for even though I've ready plenty of older threads/posts including yours. That is something I always try to keep in mind when reading others post or reviews is what kind of music, how loud to they listen and how good is their system and the pressing itself (if vinyl).

What you wrote is what I had known (break in) or suspected (more treatment) but every so often I get impatient and this 400 hour breakin period seems insane to me but - that's the deal.

I have plenty of music that sounds unbelievably good (to me, although I'm nowhere near getting them to disappear which is another topic for another day - but still very good soundstage) at 85-90 db with peaks of 90-95 - but not much over that - not that my ears want it any louder than that anyway. Most Pink Floyd, Dire Straights, FMac, Unplugged series, Santana, Dave Brubeck and many others sound phenomenal loud. Just not these 10% or so and I don't think it is the recording but I do think it is just time and room treatment. However, you wrote that you still have issues with this so....hmmm.

Prior speakers were 1991 (pre- Best Buy) Mirage M460s I purchased new. They lack bass and ballz but do sound great - but they don't do well with screaming guitars also. Was hoping the M3s would be better and maybe they will be.

Will take you up on your Loki offer if some of these changes (and time) don't work out - but thanks much.

The upper mid-range on guitars is often harsh.  When you mention the Aenima Tool record (their worst recording by far) I know what you're talking about.  I think you might actually just be hearing what's going on better with these speakers.  They're more transparent and they are revealing the problems in guitar tone.  High gain guitar amps are usually run through 4x12" speaker cabinets.  Those 12" drivers beam terribly in the upper mid range (picture a 12" woofer producing 2000Hz-5000Hz in your home stereo and you will understand).  This is recorded through a dynamic microphone (often a Shure SM57) that has a gain increase around those same frequencies and now the guitars are bright.  With revealing speakers you will hear this much more.

Very interesting! This is also something I've wondered about - hifi really isn't made for screaming guitars (?). I had Cerwin Vega At15s before my Mirages when I was a teenager - great for hard rock and sound clean but not much more than that (accuracy, sound stage, etc., etc. etc.). If this winds up to be the case I'll just manage to be happy with the other 90% of my record colletcion.  :green:

When you have lower ceilings and/or concrete floors and/or glass doorwalls and the sound is bouncing all over the place...well you get the point.

Let me suggest a little "trick" I learned in my younger days about how to listen at 90db without as much of a sensation of brightness (although this volume still isn't good for your long term hearing/tinitus).

Listen to your first song at 75 db....then your second and third song at 80 db...then your fourth and fifth song at 85 db...then step up to 90db...in other words, you are conditioning your hearing to both the "harshness" and the volume.

PS....I now try to listen at 80db or below to protect what hearing I have left...which fortunately is pretty even from left ear to right.

Thanks, will also try this. I have tinnitus also and maybe a (small!!!) blessing my wife sends me texts like "TURN IT DOWN" when the volume is at 3  :lol: which is about 70-75 db. However, as long as the music IS clean with little distortion, and although I know that higher levels will damage more, it doesn't hurt my ears or head. As soon as I get a hint of distortion I turn it down. But do still like listening to (clean/ undistorted) music at around 85 db. I'm 53 - only need for my hearing to hang in there another 25 years or so!...longer if I'm lucky. My actual hearing is fine although my wife may dispute that.

Well, forky, you have a thousand things to do. Get on it.  :lol:

Indeed! THANKS to all who posted. Speakers are tilted back more which helped some and although plugging into the wall (vs. my bat backup) didn't help, it did improve the sound slightly.

I think for the most part the speakers just need more time and my room needs treatment. That should be most of the battle - but realize for these 10%, they may never sound very good at louder volume.

Will buy a Loki if these don't work though. And also might be the amp - will know more on Saturday. I have ready more than a few posts that Primaluna are bright - but who knows what was going on w/ the rest of the system, music and room treatment (although one thread was an apples to apples w an amp swap). Also, I heard back from Brent Jesse and will probably try some GE blacks to get me through the breakin period which should help some.

Mr. Big

« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2022, 01:12 am »
Will be interesting to see what my brother's SS 125 wpc (most tests show around 150-175, so underrated by factory) Adcom amp sounds like on Saturday. Most of the albums in question do sound good or great not only at lower volume but the "cleaner" (if any) tracks, such as an acoustical track in a sea of electric sound great. Most of these are very well regarded pressings ($$$). I have separated my records into 3 different areas (poor, good, excellent) and these troubled ones are still in my excellent pressing area. While I have plenty of crappy recordings, I don't *think* these are. I think it is system or room issue - probably both. This is well received though and I have spent a mint over the past 5-6 months on excellent pressings incl. 1st pressing of Abby Rd and DSOTM which arrives later this week and many more.

Awesome post! Exactly what I have been looking for even though I've ready plenty of older threads/posts including yours. That is something I always try to keep in mind when reading others post or reviews is what kind of music, how loud to they listen and how good is their system and the pressing itself (if vinyl).

What you wrote is what I had known (break in) or suspected (more treatment) but every so often I get impatient and this 400 hour breakin period seems insane to me but - that's the deal.

I have plenty of music that sounds unbelievably good (to me, although I'm nowhere near getting them to disappear which is another topic for another day - but still very good soundstage) at 85-90 db with peaks of 90-95 - but not much over that - not that my ears want it any louder than that anyway. Most Pink Floyd, Dire Straights, FMac, Unplugged series, Santana, Dave Brubeck and many others sound phenomenal loud. Just not these 10% or so and I don't think it is the recording but I do think it is just time and room treatment. However, you wrote that you still have issues with this so....hmmm.

Prior speakers were 1991 (pre- Best Buy) Mirage M460s I purchased new. They lack bass and ballz but do sound great - but they don't do well with screaming guitars also. Was hoping the M3s would be better and maybe they will be.

Will take you up on your Loki offer if some of these changes (and time) don't work out - but thanks much.

Very interesting! This is also something I've wondered about - hifi really isn't made for screaming guitars (?). I had Cerwin Vega At15s before my Mirages when I was a teenager - great for hard rock and sound clean but not much more than that (accuracy, sound stage, etc., etc. etc.). If this winds up to be the case I'll just manage to be happy with the other 90% of my record colletcion.  :green:

Thanks, will also try this. I have tinnitus also and maybe a (small!!!) blessing my wife sends me texts like "TURN IT DOWN" when the volume is at 3  :lol: which is about 70-75 db. However, as long as the music IS clean with little distortion, and although I know that higher levels will damage more, it doesn't hurt my ears or head. As soon as I get a hint of distortion I turn it down. But do still like listening to (clean/ undistorted) music at around 85 db. I'm 53 - only need for my hearing to hang in there another 25 years or so!...longer if I'm lucky. My actual hearing is fine although my wife may dispute that.

Indeed! THANKS to all who posted. Speakers are tilted back more which helped some and although plugging into the wall (vs. my bat backup) didn't help, it did improve the sound slightly.

I think for the most part the speakers just need more time and my room needs treatment. That should be most of the battle - but realize for these 10%, they may never sound very good at louder volume.

Will buy a Loki if these don't work though. And also might be the amp - will know more on Saturday. I have read more than a few posts that Primaluna are bright - but who knows what was going on w/ the rest of the system, music, and room treatment (although one thread was an apple to apple w an amp swap). Also, I heard back from Brent Jesse and will probably try some GE blacks to get me through the breakin period which should help some.

Being a vinyl collector the pressing cannot make up for a bad recording. I had only 1st pressings in my youth that is the 1st 100,000 copies from the master stamp, and they still sounded like crap. They were made to sound great on car radios, the audiophile was not even a thought, even back then and today also, later in the '70s music was produced on audiophile labels for being well recorded, but it was boring crap, for the most part, OPUS 3 records did some good stuff, Shiefiled Labs the Harry James direct to discs were great.  But say the Beatles stuff, Stones, and others run for the hills on a good system. The best time for recording being made to sound as real as possible was the '50s through the mid-'60s, after that 8 track to 48 tracks could be used to lay down parts of music, Sgt. Pepper was the start of it all. Every track laid upon another track was a generation lost. In the early '70s and '80s, huge amounts of compression started on vinyl and the vinyl quality went way down due to oil prices, etc.  More than not you return LPs to the store due to warpage, noise, and poor sound quality (RE) stamp on the back of the LP meaning reissue, it sounded sterile compared to my 1st pressing. As bad as any bad early CD could sound, and even early CD there were some great ones released and they had no compression, I still have some and they sound good, the dynamics swing excellent compared to the remastered later versions. In the end, it is the care taken on any music release, and if you find a better verison on one format that sounds better it is because they took the time to do it right and not the format. 
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2022, 02:55 pm by Mr. Big »

morganc

« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2022, 04:55 am »
Hello All,

I'm still having issues with heavy guitar / hard rock as well as some other recordings such as Janice Joplin's 1-step which admittedly has some reviews on discogs that complain about brightness - some just as many don't. System is fine with "regular" rock like Pink Floyd, FMac, Beatles, etc. as well as jazz and what little classical I listen to. it is even fine with Rage's (RATM) debut album (which is one of my best sounding records) since it was recorded extremely well and is more than not still a "cleaner" sound than say, Smashing Pumpkins, Dirt (AIC), most TOOL (Undertow is actually great but Aenmia is rough). The "cleaner" acoustic tracks on AIC's self titled album (3 legged dog which is also an amazing sounding record) sound great but when the hard electric guitars come in with any distortion - is very harsh and separation goes out the door. Everything collides in the upper mids and low treble (where the crossover is for the M3 tweeter?).

My system:
Sapphire M3s with about 100 hours above 70 db (probably 200 hours at lower volume) but the tweeters only have around 55 hours above 70 db (probably over 120 at lower db) as I had a tweeter issue in early Dec. Are the issues I mentioned above sound like more speaker breakin will help? I have read a few complaints on Audiogon about M3s being too bright but who knows the back story (amp, hours, room acoustics, cables)

Int amp is a Primaluna Evo 300 with about 200-ish hours. Kt-150s probably have around 175 hours and the Radiotechniques in the front preamp position probaly have around 150 hours. Mazdas on the sides around 175 hours. I have also read that Primaluna can be bright  (?).

Cables are now (about 75 hours) almost all LessLoss (copper) except a DL Labs silver power cord to the TT and speaker wires are Analyis Plus, Oval 9 black mesh (thank you Mr. Big) with about 200 hours.

TT is VPI prime Signature with Hana red cart (with about 125 hours).

Phonostage is a Modwright 9.0x and I changed one set of the fuses to Amperex (but really couldn't tell the difference).

Room is carpet over a concrete floor (basement) with a rug on top of that in the 7' in front of the speakers. Ceiling is a cheap drop celing w/ that cardboard like panels and a few fluorescent lights. Nothing on the walls except curtains in front 1 window (which is behind 1 speaker but again w/ curtain) and glass door. Only drywall is behind the right speaker but I put the (semi large) dog bed directly behind it which did nothing.

Speakers are 30" from the front wall (I lost too much bass at 36" but still playing with this). Rear wall is about 17' back and side walls are difficult to describe since the room is an offset T.

Initial thoughts?  I know the speaker need to break in more but they have some time on them. I'm wondering more about the amp than anything but called Upscale and they said to look elsewhere (of course). One guy on Audiogon upgraded his caps which said really helped the amp. I can put some $ into acoustics but we are moving next year so don't want to put a bunch of $ into a room that is changing next year. Can do some though.

Thanks

Please come back after 250 hours on tweeters.  Don’t make any changes until then as you’re just chasing your tail IMO.  Break in takes a while.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2022, 05:20 am »
There are 2 sources of distortion when it comes to hifi.  One is the system itself.  The other is the room.  And glass is the absolute worst, acoustically.  If I were you, I'd let the speaker burn in for 500 hours, and if the problem persists I'd go about treating the room, especially any/all glass surfaces.  Wooden slats (which can act as diffusers) and heavy drapes or thick roman shades (which act as absorber).  Then I'd start putting a combo of absorbers and diffusers on the remaining surfaces.

This type of room treatment will get you better sound, regardless of what speakers you have.  So even if you change speakers in the future, the room treatments you do are not lost, they will still make everything sound better, indefinitely into the future.

mick wolfe

« Reply #33 on: 9 Feb 2022, 03:40 pm »
Agreed. Assuming the brightness issue isn't the coming from source or amplification, I would pursue room treatments. One of the most, if not the most effective solution I can think of. Haven't had Spatials since the first generation M series, but FWIW, brightness was never an issue.

forky

« Reply #34 on: 9 Feb 2022, 09:32 pm »
Thanks all. The heavy moving blankets were delivered today so we'll see how that goes (significant other is db sensitive) whether down here in the basement or I may cart the M3s in and out of the detached garage and play loud enough out there to move the drivers. It will take many years if I don't accelerate it like this.

I did also order some Amperex tubes from Brent Jesse and then will try the Radiotechniques again after breakin.

Nothing ordered for treatment yet but have been reading and listening. As mentioned we will probably be moving next year so I probably won't go too crazy with that until the system has a more perm home.

abomwell

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2022, 10:11 pm »
One more thing you can try that's free is to deflect the floor bounce reflections by putting, say, a padded hassock between you and the spot on the floor where you would see the tweeter/midrange reflected in a mirror. The floor bounce is often ignored but is the major first reflection culprit that affects timbre. This was revealed in a massive  study done in Europe called the Archimedes/Eureka Project in the late 80's. It studied the psychoacoustical effects of listening rooms. Several manufacturers were in involved including BandO, and Kef.

I find that it makes a nice improvement to imaging and also reduces edge off the highs. You want to deflect the floor bounce away from your listening chair. I know you mentioned you have rugs on the floor but this is more effective than that. It's worth a try.

Al

ric

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2022, 02:55 pm »
I agree with others, and let the speakers and tweeter accumulate hours before you jump to any conclusions. If you have carpet over concrete, that should not make it bright. The same with a dropped acoustical tile ceiling. As far as I know, they are not reflective, but any bare concrete or glass will add to making it sound bad. Also, don't overlook that fluorescent lights are notoriously bad for electrical and it would be good to check and see how much stuff is on the breaker that feeds your system. I ended up putting a wool blanket over my tv, along with heavy curtains, it all helps!

forky

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2022, 10:52 pm »
I ordered some diffusers and absorption today. Will be here next week. Hopefully I can bring myself to let my brother take my speakers to his shop so he can break them in but will be at least a month. I have nice backups but not in the same ballpark. Will try his amp on Sat also and some new tubes for the preamp will be here next week. I'll put off the EQ purchase for now but will go that route if I have to. thanks.

Mr. Big

« Reply #38 on: 11 Feb 2022, 10:16 am »
Yes, putting the EQ off with the acoustic panels will help a lot.

Tangram

« Reply #39 on: 11 Feb 2022, 02:26 pm »
@Mr. Big, I’ve always loved the look of your setup!