Active bass — how does amp affect low frequencies

osullis

Apologies for such an uninformed question. But in speakers like the X5/X3 that have an amplifier driving the woofer, doesn’t changing out amplifiers have little to no bearing on the low frequencies? If I were to change amplifiers, wouldn’t I have different sound from the speakers except for the bass?

TomS

Re: Active bass — how does amp affect low frequencies
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:16 am »
Apologies for such an uninformed question. But in speakers like the X5/X3 that have an amplifier driving the woofer, doesn’t changing out amplifiers have little to no bearing on the low frequencies? If I were to change amplifiers, wouldn’t I have different sound from the speakers except for the bass?
The subwoofer amp speaker level inputs come directly from the very same terminals fed by your main amplifier. You have to decide if you can hear the main amp's character through the sub amp at those low frequencies or not.

Dana

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:45 am »
You have to decide if you can hear the main amp's character through the sub amp at those low frequencies or not.
How exactly do you do this? ("decide" and then do something about it.)
I thought the signal below 100 Hz went though the Class D amp used to amplify the bass output, so I assumed the main amp's character had little to no impact on the sound of the bass notes.  I'd like to know more about, along with the OP! 

doggie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2022, 01:47 pm »

The X3 and X5 are very revealing and clear speakers. Every amp that you try will sound (more or less) different. That is the good news and the bad news about a really good speaker. They are revealing.

I thought that the quality of the bass would be a constant however I have found that changing tubes, even in my DAC, greatly affects the quality and quantity of the bass.

Having powered bass drivers relieves the main amp of the heavy lifting allowing you to move into the wonderful area of high quality, low powered amps: Class A and SET etc..

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:03 pm »
The short answer is that not all of the bass is 100Hz and below, and garbage in = garbage out. Whatever the plate amp on the X receives will be amplified, so if the system amp is slightly distorted or non-linear ≤100Hz that will be amplified.

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:12 pm »
Building on NewZoos comments....

My opinion:  the thing about bass is that it covers a range that has both tone and physical impact...and blends right into the midbass with harmonics making them inseparable. 

Presumably the onboard amp drives the lower woofer - subwoofer below 90 hz where there is some bass tone generated (but not a lot of actual tone)  by that driver.... and your own amp drives the upper driver (midwoofer) where there is a lot more bass/midbass tone generated.

I use the words "some bass tone generated" because if you have a good subwoofer and turn off your mains and start listening to the sub as you adjust the crossover from 40hz up to say 150 hz, you don't really start to hear much of what you would call tone until you get into the 60-70 hz range or higher...below that, just a lot of grunts and thuds so to speak...but important because they add the body and impact of the bass.

Therefore, your amp driving from 90hz up has a big impact on tone while changing the onboard amp driving the 90hz and down would have a very small impact on tone. 

abomwell

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2022, 03:27 pm »
Overtones from the bass notes are reproduced in the midrange speaker so I would think the amp driving the midrange (and tweeter speaker) has some influence on the tonality of those bass notes played from the subwoofer.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2022, 04:33 pm »
Can you use an amp into the line levels on the hypex fusion amps to drive the lower woofers?  My amp is not working and no replacement in site.  The amp does turn on though just has no output.

geerock

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2022, 08:38 pm »
Can you use an amp into the line levels on the hypex fusion amps to drive the lower woofers?  My amp is not working and no replacement in site.  The amp does turn on though just has no output.
There is a selector button right next to the bass amp lights on the back of each x series.  It is a selector for DSP but only one is programmed.  Make sure you use the switch to light up P2.  If any other one is lit you will receive no sound from the bass driver.  That may be your issue.

abomwell

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2022, 09:59 pm »
There is a selector button right next to the bass amp lights on the back of each x series.  It is a selector for DSP but only one is programmed.  Make sure you use the switch to light up P2.  If any other one is lit you will receive no sound from the bass driver.  That may be your issue.

My X5's light is lit on P2. Are you sure it's supposed to be P1?

morganc

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2022, 10:18 pm »
My X5's light is lit on P2. Are you sure it's supposed to be P1?

Yeah none of the setting work.

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2022, 10:25 pm »

Anyone?

abomwell

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2022, 10:43 pm »
That's a bummer!! Unfortunately I would think this is a Clayton question. I hope there is an easy interim solution for you.

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2022, 10:46 pm »
That's a bummer!! Unfortunately I would think this is a Clayton question. I hope there is an easy interim solution for you.

I’ve been waiting 3-4 months for a solution from Spatial.  I know there are supply chain issues but I believe manufacturers should keep spare parts in stock for repairs. 

abomwell

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2022, 10:53 pm »
I suppose you could buy a used pair of speakers, so at least you have sound, and then sell them when the amp is finally fixed. What a hassle!

2Bad

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2022, 12:35 pm »
I suppose you could buy a used pair of speakers, so at least you have sound, and then sell them when the amp is finally fixed. What a hassle!

I hope you are joking.  :nono:

abomwell

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2022, 02:30 pm »
Well, maybe not. It's something I'd consider doing myself if I couldn't play my music for months. I'd go nuts without it! But I suppose not having bass in one channel wouldn't render the system unplayable. I thought more about this and thought, with my two subwoofers, I'd try using them crossed at 90Hz. That's assuming the tweeter crossover is not controlled somehow by the plate amp's DSP.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2022, 03:43 pm »

On my X3s the light is on P1.  As I look at it, the light is below P2.  However, looking closer, you will notice a diagonal line from the lit lamp to p1.

My subs work so I assume my configuration is correct.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2022, 06:50 pm »
On the X series, the main amp does not "go through" the subwoofer amp.  They are wired in parallel.  Which means the main amp drives the mid/tweeter drivers directly, and also drives the sub amp directly (hence the term 'parallel', haha).

If the sub amp lights up but you're not getting any output from the woofer, the first thing I would do is check the wiring as it's probably something just came loose.  Remove the sub amp from the back of the speaker and look/verify that all wiring is firmly connected and nothing has worked loose.